mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Specialized helmets!

Just wanted a bit of feedback on high end Specialized helmets to see if anybody elses experiences are the same as mine.
    I've used both the Prevail and the S3 and I can't get over how low quality they are.
    Both helmets were poorly finished, little marks here and the and an overall cheap feel. This is backed up by viewing others in shops etc, I feel this is completely out of order for a 100-150 helmet.
    I've also used the latest Met Veleno (cheaper) which is far better quality and recently a Kask Mojito (similiar price to S3) which are light years ahead, Specialized could learn a lot from Kask in my opinion.
    What are your thoughts?

mtbr member
    hmm. I picked up one of their cheaper MTB helmets (Tactic, I think) that set me back about $40 to leave at my in-laws so I don't have to bring so much gear when we go visit. I have no complaints for the price and was thinking about picking up the Vice helmet to replace my 661 Recon. I didn't notice the construction or finish of the Specialized to be lower quality than the Fox and 661 helmets I've recently owned. Maybe not as nice as my Troy Lee full face, but not really comparable either. Guess I'll take a look at the Vice in person before ordering.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    I bought a bunch of S works helmets during their annual web store clearance sale a few years ago to re-sell on ebay. I was planning on keeping one but the fit was bad on my head and the pads weren't in the right spots. Overall, I was very disappointed.

I've been using a bell volt for a while and it's great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yea had one of their road bikes helmets, wasnt very fond of it. If you can find one cheap they arent too bad, but idk if i would pay full price.

mtbr member
    I have had the total opposite experience... They fit me very well and I have felt that they are excellent quality. The adjustment system is easy to use, and you can make multiple adjustments, the straps are light and do not stretch when they get wet, the helmet has great air flow (I have a Prevail), and the helmet is very light. I have also used the specialized Vice for offroad and it has the same good qualities except it's a good bit heavier(than the Prevail). The vice also stays in place better than other helmets when a light is attached....Just my experience

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I agree that Specialized do produce some decent products especially the s-works shoes but in my opinion the top of the range helmets are far from top of the range finishing. I suppose quality is open to personal interpretation but they are far behind some of the European counterparts.

mtbr member
    I hate helmets until I crash and trash them, then I'm thankful. Overpriced, over-hyped coffee cups. I don't buy into the replace every five year thing either unless you leave them on the back window shelf of your car in the desert heat. No helmet should cost more than $75.

Hank

Austin, Texas
    I agree. Not sure I believe this 5 year thing as well. I've had helmets a lot longer and they did their job in a crash. It's a great excuse to buy a new helmet though!

I bought a Specialized Vice last year and have really enjoyed it. It feels great, seems to be of high quality, is semi-light, and it has been cool in the Texas heat. I had an endo with it in which I actually fell on my face/forehead. The only injury I had was a small scuff mark on my forehead where the pad was, and you really have to take a close look at the helmet to see any damage...just some very small indents and nicks. I'm pleased with the Vice.

Go faster!
    I've been wearing specialized helmets since I found out about the crash replacement policy. It's paid off a few times for the wife and I.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernVelo View Post
    I've been wearing specialized helmets since I found out about the crash replacement policy. It's paid off a few times for the wife and I.
    Wait...are you saying Specialized will replace a crashed helmet for free?

Thanks,

Hank

Go faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyHank View Post
    Wait...are you saying Specialized will replace a crashed helmet for free?

Thanks,

Hank
    Nope.

Follow link and scroll to the bottom.
    http://cdn.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/...nsEwww.com.pdf

Go faster!
    this one is for 3 years
    http://www.specialized.com/media/wha...(CONSUMER).pdf

this one is just for 20%
    Helmet Crash Replacement Policy

FWIW- My shop has never asked for a receipt. They keep my old helmet and give me a 20% discount on a new one.

mtbr member
    Still 20% is not a bad deal considering it's branded "Specialized"

Hank