mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Specialized Full Face Helmets?

I thought I remember reading/seeing somewhere that Specialized was releasing a few full face helmets as part of their 06 line. I checked their website but didn't find anything. Anyone got some links/info?

Loves His Sunday
    The new Deviant is Specialized's first full-facer. It's available in either fibreglass or lighter carbon fibre, and has 18 vents, so it should be cooler in use than many full-face helmets. Inside it's a combination of thin padding and mesh, and easy to use retention system. The main strap system is along the lines of that found on motorcycle helmets, a very secure but perhaps unnecessarily fiddly system. Unlike the Instinct, the Deviant gets an adjustable peak.
    ALSO: PM MX887 if you want. I know he has more pics of the helmet cause he sent me some of different colors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SAYNDESYN on the Iron Horse Sunday,

"There is no weekness. It is the bike that Jesus built after he gave up carpentry."

rockin the mid-west
    is it just me or would that be a weak ponit for where they have put this air vent on the full face?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [SIZE="4"]PUNK FOR LIFE[/SIZE]
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    any idea what kind of price range?

SamIAm
    depends if that part of the helmet is designed for integrity or if it has some type of skeleton frame w/ the fiberglass surrounding it on the facesmask part or something like that.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

N* Bomber Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by Gman
    any idea what kind of price range?
    If they expect anyone to buy it the'll price it lower than a Troy Lee Design's D2....
    [size=3]Northstar 2008 Riding Crew[/size]

gnar, brah
    Weird...I think Specialized made a full-facer before, but only for a while. I got one for free with my Patriot. Its black and silver, no vents really, and has a very similar shape and visor. Wonder if they have the same pads, I could do with some smaller ones.
    Trestle Bike Park

czech out nsmb maybe. I recall reading about it somewhere...
    Specialized has made a FF for a couple of years, geared more towards BMX vert guys I believe, but they had one called the Hucker. Anyhow, the new one is completely different, and I think it looks pretty cool--both literally and figuratively. I recall they were a bit pricey as far as FF helmets go, but come in two different materials with different prices. Carbon and fiberglass. Carbon obviously being more $$ (over $200, less than 300 I think, fiberglass being maybe somewhere around $150?). I don't actually know where I think I saw anything about pricing...perhaps I just dreamed that up...

Cynical Bystander
    I have a Specialized Full Face that I got from them on Clearance from their website. It was an 02 model and I bought it late 2003/early 2004 or something like that. They definitely seem to make quality products not only in just bikes but in their helmets as well. While its not the most "trendy" thing like a TLD its both Snell and DOT approved I believe and is quite comfortable. I can't really remember if its well ventilated but I guess that means it probably is since I don't really have many complaints about being over heated, lol. My guess for pricing on the new ones is that atleast the base model will be $100-150ish or something along those lines...
    Tony
    is making a comeback.

Turns out that five years of not mountain biking, really makes one strive to get back to it.

Blanco
    Nov 2004
    They've had the Hucker full-face for a while. Great helmet (especially for oval heads), burly, not too heavy, but no real venting. This looks a lot better for epic days.

mtbr member
    I had the bike shop I race for that is a Special'ed dealer check into these helmets for me because I'm in need of a new full-face soon. The fiberglass one will be around $150 retail and the carbon will be around $300 retail. They will be available the middle of September.

mtbr member

Mad Max vs Deviant -- is it apples to apples?

Is the Deviant to be a light FR helmet like the Mad Max? I don't think the Max has any high protection ratings (snell / DOT), and I'm wondering if the Deviant is the same kind of thing...a basic FF protection with no Snell or DOT approval.

Thanks,
    kcav

Quote Originally Posted by kcavtca
    Is the Deviant to be a light FR helmet like the Mad Max? I don't think the Max has any high protection ratings (snell / DOT), and I'm wondering if the Deviant is the same kind of thing...a basic FF protection with no Snell or DOT approval.

Thanks,
    kcav
    The Deviant will not have DOT or Snell rating, but will be CPSC certified like the Mad Max and all other bike helmets sold in the states. You just can't use it for moto.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeMk
    The Deviant will not have DOT or Snell rating, but will be CPSC certified like the Mad Max and all other bike helmets sold in the states. You just can't use it for moto.
    Thanks. I'll just have to see which one better fits my egg and go with it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I've got a Spec. Hucker at the moment. It fits great but, like the other posters said, does not have much for vents. The new one looks good for sure!

pwn3rator
    [SIZE=-4]SOCAL UNION REPREZENT[/SIZE]
    Quote Originally Posted by JBsoxB
    does it still qualify as a mountainbike?
    Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo
    I've beat beer cans on my limp pee pee.

mtbr member
    The last specialized full face I had I broke(I think it was the '02 model also). It had the vents in the same place as the newer one's on the face plate and they did crack on impact. Scary part was I hit the back of my head, not the front and both sides cracked at the vents. I wouldn't go for one until they've seen a season of use, seeing as how their last attempt at a full face didn't go over so well (IMO).

Disco-Superfly
    If I am remembering correctly, Steve Romaniuk wore a Speciailed helmet in the collective..
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.