mechmann_mtb

Specialized BG Fortress Gloves

I purchased a pair of Fortress gloves about 6wks ago. this past week i crashed while riding a local trail and in the crash the palm of the glove ripped irreparably. i emailed spesh and they are not interested in helping out a customer that spent 60 bucks on a glove with super weak palm protection. this glove is supposed to be a FR/DH glove and is garbage after one crash.

i gave them a chance to make the situation right before posting it here.

just wanted to help out anyone that might be buying new gloves.

on the bright side, the Fox Racing Digits have 2 layers of leather on the palms. very tough gloves that last for more than one crash.

does anyone have any other recommendations as to a good glove that doesn't fall apart after one crash?

Specialized Rida
    Quote Originally Posted by mechmann_mtb
    I purchased a pair of Fortress gloves about 6wks ago. this past week i crashed while riding a local trail and in the crash the palm of the glove ripped irreparably. i emailed spesh and they are not interested in helping out a customer that spent 60 bucks on a glove with super weak palm protection. this glove is supposed to be a FR/DH glove and is garbage after one crash.

i gave them a chance to make the situation right before posting it here.

just wanted to help out anyone that might be buying new gloves.

on the bright side, the Fox Racing Digits have 2 layers of leather on the palms. very tough gloves that last for more than one crash.

does anyone have any other recommendations as to a good glove that doesn't fall apart after one crash?
    I would think Specialized would take care of you after one ride or maybe even the store you bought it from.

I used to use specialized gloves becuase of thier padding, but the durability was not there for me. So what I did was switch to Fox gloves and bought some Oury Grips, because my hands would become numb when I wore fox gloves and use specialized grips.

So I found that the fox gloves and Oury grips combination works the best. Mainly becuase the fox gloves were durable, and the Oury grips were confortable to hold onto without making my hands go numb.

I by the way use Fox's Static wrist wraps II. It really depends on what type of Fox's gloves you want, but I really don't think you can go wrong with any of Fox's Glove.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I've worn several bike specific gloves in the past and the only pair that fits and feels comfy for me are not even bike specific, I like to wear Mechanix gloves. I have a pair that I've worn for a couple years for mtb and hasn't fallen apart. I also have another pair for working on aircraft, they probably get the most abuse and haven't let me down as far as comfort and construction.

http://www.mechanix.com

Meh.
    Specialized gloves are very comfortable, but lack durability. My TRX and Enduro gloves are wearing through at the palm after half a season.

mechmann_mtb
    thanks guys. hopefully others will read this and not waste their cash buying gloves that look cool and fall apart. i really liked the finger/knuckle protection and the bling factor of carbon on my gloves, but i expect more than one crash from my gloves.

i will definitely check out the products mentioned. thanks for the input!

mtbr member
    Fox Sidewinders for me. I heard lots of good things about them and the opinions were right. Several crashes and no problems. This winter the thumb nose wiper has taken a lot of abuse but has shown no signs of wear .

I had a pair of Spec Euduro gloves. They were thin and didn't fit real well.

dressed to play
    I've beeen using the fortress gloves for a year now. I've have 3 pairs warrantied by my LBS for stitching coming away, which is a pain but i dont mind too much as i get a new pair each time.
    On the plus side for these gloves, once after driving off with them on the roof of my car. i watched as they were run over by a car doing a fair speed. the gloves were still in a1 condition. that gives me confidence in their ability to do their job

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    You think that's bad?
    I was driving my new Chevy and hit a tree. Only one crash...and Chevy wouldn't give me a new one !
    I'm pissed!
    YOU crashed...YOU ripped them...why is it Spec's responsibility to replace them?

mechmann_mtb
    true i did crash. they did rip. the dissapointing part is that i have had other gloves that last for months and have survived much worse crashes. i wouldn't have been bitter if specialized had taken care of it. by no means do they HAVE to take care of the customer that is unhappy with their product, but considering that i have spent a BUNCH of money on specialized products (bikes, helmets, clothes, shoes, pads, parts, etc) they really could have extended some sort of deal on a replacement glove or something.

i just wanted other riders to know that these gloves will not stand up to any abuse whatsoever. remember, these are supposed to be DH/FR gloves. they should be able to survive ONE small crash.

it is all about learning where your money is well spent. i am sharing my experience to help others. don't buy specialized gloves if you expect them to protect your hands.

Members who have read this thread: 3