Like catnip for people

SPD Cleats on Roadie Shoes?

Hi,

I'm looking at buying some clipless shoes some time shortly.

The only thing is, I don't like the big chunky looking MTB shoes... Much prefer the streamlined, low profile roadie shoes... What I'm wondering though, is... Will my SPD cleats fit on a roadie shoe?

jalopy jockey
    Jun 2007
    Don't know about cleat fit but think about walking up/down that loose hill with slick on. MTB shoes have a tread for a reason.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I have a pair of Nike Alpins. They are carbon soled with treads and I slipped on a trail. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to walk on a trail with no treads at all!

mini clyde
    some road shoes are drilled/tapped for SPD/CrankBros, others are only for the Look-style road cleats. If you're looking at the bottom of the shoe, it'll be immediately apparent -- if you're looking online the listing would say if they'll take SPD cleats.

IMHO,Most road shoes are no good for hike-a-bike. If you never have to get off and push, that's no issue. Some MTB shoes aren't *too* clunky looking, examples are Shimano M-225 and Sidi Dominator. They look like road shoes with lugs on the soles. I bought 225s b/c they were the stiffest MTB shoes I could put my hands on, they've turned out better than I expected for riding and walking. I even put SPD pedals back on my road bike and ride the 225s on social/charity rides where there's about as much walking and standing as there is riding.

(edit: last paragraph is "opinion" . . . )

mtbr member
    Jul 2003

SPD mountain cleats....

are not really designed to fit on road shoes. But depending on the shoe (not all have the same patterns of holes) it may be possible. Most Shimano road shoes have multiple mounting holes to accomodate as wide a range of road pedal designs as possible, spd, speed play, etc. And they will accomodate the SPD mountain pattern. BUT, you will run into one problem, quite aside from the obvious bust yer butt in a hike a bike situattion. The attachment screws that come with spd mountain cleats are too short to reach the mounting holes of the average road shoe! The reason for this is, the soles of road shoes are much thicker than those of mountain shoes. Road shoes are totaly ridged to give a solid pedaling platform, never intended to be walked in. Mountain shoes on the other hand are a compromise between platform and walkability, so the soles of the shoes are a bit thinner and do flex some. Road cleat scews, which are longer, will not fit the mountain cleats, and I have yet to find a set of screws that are long enough, have the right thread pitch, and have the correct head size and counter sink angle to propery fit a mountain cleat. The thread pitch is ovious in it's importance. But the head size and countersink angle are just as important. The head diameter must be spot on or the screw will not fit properly in the holes in the cleat mounting plate. Too big and it sticks out and can jam in the pedal mechanism, too small and it could tear loose from the mounting hole. Same deal with the counter sink angle. It has to fit in that little counter sunk mounting plate of the cleat perfectly to be storng enough to stay put under stress and keep clear of the mechanism.

The reason I know all this is that we have had a couple of customers at the shop that I work at trying to do the same thing, and this is what we've discovered. I don't understand their reasoning behind it, but we try to accomodate everyone if we can. We have yet to find a screw that will work properly for attaching SPD mountian cleats to road shoes. If anybody makes one we have yet to find it, and Shimano has yet to get back to us on the subject. Probably have to give em another call on Monday. But for now I'd have to say hold off on purchasing road shoes for your mountain pedals! Out of the box it won't work.

Our last hope is that Shimano has something that will work, i.e. longer screws. If that pans out I'll post back with a part number. But right now it's not looking too good.

Good Dirt
    "I do whatever my Rice Cripsies tell me to!"

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by eedavis
    some road shoes are drilled/tapped for SPD/CrankBros, others are only for the Look-style road cleats. If you're looking at the bottom of the shoe, it'll be immediately apparent -- if you're looking online the listing would say if they'll take SPD cleats.

IMHO,Most road shoes are no good for hike-a-bike. If you never have to get off and push, that's no issue. Some MTB shoes aren't *too* clunky looking, examples are Shimano M-225 and Sidi Dominator. They look like road shoes with lugs on the soles. I bought 225s b/c they were the stiffest MTB shoes I could put my hands on, they've turned out better than I expected for riding and walking. I even put SPD pedals back on my road bike and ride the 225s on social/charity rides where there's about as much walking and standing as there is riding.

(edit: last paragraph is "opinion" . . . )
    Thanks for the info & for opening my eyes... After checking out the Dominators and 225's I've noticed there are some decent looking MTB shoes out there.

Liked the look of: Cannondale XCE3000, Shimano M075, Sidi Eagle 5 / 6 ...

Members who have read this thread: 0