mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Soft shell with hood?

Hey guys, what do you think buying a nice soft shell jacket that has a hood? Obviously it's not a cycling specific jacket. But it seems like it would be good layered in 20-25 d temps and I can buy it at a local store without having to order it at half the price shown in the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Hardw.../dp/B001E7Q5O8

usually cranky
    personally im good in 20 degree temps in a mock nike pro, t- shirt, and oakley track jacket but i run hot. that looks like a very nice coat though, and if you think you need something like that id snatch it up. one warning though, soft shells seem to be kinda short in the back and that may pose a problem biking.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I am a big fan of the soft shell. Same for Mountain Hardware. Not completely waterproof, but will keep you just as dry (damp) as a waterproof breathable when you factor in sweating.

Most have fleece laminated on the inside, which make them a little hot if you are pedalling a lot. I think the Dragon has a pretty thin layer of fleece, so it should be good. I have an older North Face ss with no fleece liner and it is perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I love a soft shell for winter riding. I wear one from The North Face. Very rugged, wind/water resistant and breathable enough. Maybe I'm just being a baby but I don't think I'd wear a hooded jacket where I ride (single track through pine forest). I'd be afraid of the hood snagging on a branch as I rode by. My brother borrowed it one day and caught a cut pine branch nub on the upper arm, in addition to a really nasty bruise, he ripped half the sleeve off. Maybe we just need to learn to ride better.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    LLBean makes one that fits over a helmet (ski but could work for a bike). On sale now too
    http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70583?from=SR&feat=sr

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My first impression is that it'd get hot pretty quick. My wife has a jacket somewhat like that, only it doesn't have a hood or a liner. It's a great jacket.

dirtbag
    I have that MH Dragon jacket that I use for day hiking and around town. It's made from Gore Windstopper material which has a thin fleece liner that's bonded to the shell. It's not gonna keep you warm but will help transfer moisture to keep you dry. I, myself, wouldn't ride with a hooded jacket I'd get to hot. Rather put on a cycling cap under the helmet.

If you're set on a hooded softshell for cycling take a look at the one from swrve. They make em in three versions: light, medium and heavy weight. Cycling specific and they make great stuff.