mtbr member
    May 2005

Smith Pivlock 90's experience….

Going on my 4th year of riding (mainly fast XC), I have never worn eyewear until today.
    Walking around the house, the glasses felt great, super-light, just like the positive reviews I had read. On the bike was different…Hit a short 4-mile twisty turny trail and the first thing I felt was like I was up much higher on my bike…..very awkward / weird feeling. I completed the familiar trail at a much slower pace than usual. Took the glasses off and did another lap, but now it felt like I was sitting so low and that I needed to raise my seat…..amazing how quickly your brain/eyes can change perception. It took me about 15 minutes to start feeling normal again.
    This was with the gray lens. I will try the rose color, but if same results, then will send them back and try a different brand.

mtbr member
    Personally, I don't like frameless glasses, for the reasons you describe. I feel a frame on the top gives a reference point for the eyes. If you can, try on a pair of the Parallel D-max glasses from Smith, or another model with a frame or half-frame.

As far as brands go, Smith has some of the best customer service I've experienced. Their warranties and replacement programs are unbeatable, in my opinion.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I love my Pivlocks, no frame to get in the way of seeing what's in front of you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Personally, I don't like frameless glasses, for the reasons you describe. I feel a frame on the top gives a reference point for the eyes. If you can, try on a pair of the Parallel D-max glasses from Smith, or another model with a frame or half-frame.

As far as brands go, Smith has some of the best customer service I've experienced. Their warranties and replacement programs are unbeatable, in my opinion.
    I totally agree, I've had them warranty a pair of my glasses and the customer service was top notch.