mtbr member
    Jun 2007

smallest hip or back pack??

looking for the most minimalist hip or back pack. Only must is an actual reservoir and not a bottle holder. All the storage and pockets are great for people that need them but I ride 2 plus hour rides rarely finishing a 20oz water bottle. I then ride with a car key, a few small energy items and occasionally my phone in my short pockets. I would like to remove the water bottle from my bike and I have some shirts without pockets that I would like to start wearing. so a pack with 40-50 oz reservoir is plenty with a couple little pockets would be fine. All the additional stuff I don't need just adds a bunch of wasted bulk. any help or experience would be greatly appreciated.
    2019 santa cruz hightower LT
    2016 santa cruz stigmata

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Same boat as you, subscribing to hear the suggestions

Ive been thinking about getting the Dakine hot laps

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    yeah thats probably my top choice at this point or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00437V8CK...v_ov_lig_dp_it

but both are still more then I need. I tune my bike before every ride and ride tubeless. I have had one walk back to car incident in the past 5 years and have never had a reason to carry a tube or even tools. I have friends that ride 20 or so miles with me and have 50 pounds on there back with so much stuff they have never needed. I constantly say stuff and they always say when I need it they aren't letting me use it. Haven't needed a thing from them in 5 years.
    2016 santa cruz stigmata

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by tony110672 View Post
    yeah thats probably my top choice at this point or this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00437V8CK...v_ov_lig_dp_it

but both are still more then I need. I tune my bike before every ride and ride tubeless. I have had one walk back to car incident in the past 5 years and have never had a reason to carry a tube or even tools. I have friends that ride 20 or so miles with me and have 50 pounds on there back with so much stuff they have never needed. I constantly say stuff and they always say when I need it they aren't letting me use it. Haven't needed a thing from them in 5 years.
    I have yet to have a flat on tubeless since I went that way two years ago. Amazing? However, I still carry a tube and three 25 gram co2 cartridges and a set of Silca tools. I get so far away from home or car that I need the piece of mind. Besides, sometimes I can help others. So I use Thule’s new Vital 3. Narrow, thin and holds 1,75 liters but I only fill it half full and freeze it solid before I ride. Keeps the back cool for a couple of hours or more. Very nice alternative to Camelback.

mtbr member
    Got this a few weeks ago and very happy with the minimalist aspect as well as storage in the front so I don't have to take it off if I need something. https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R0...d790590affbe17

mtbr member
    I have the bonty rapid pack. Good waist pack --2 side pockets with more than enough room for a tube, CO2, lever, multi tool etc. Has a bottle holder too if you want to carry a spare bottle or collapsible water bottle

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-pack/p/14798/

mtbr member
    Most of the time, I ride with a Camelbak Mini-Mule. It's a kid's pack, but has more storage than most minimalist adult packs. I have to have to max out the chest strap (I guess I could modify it if necessary), but it works for me.

mtbr member
    I ride with a Camelbak velocity pack. 2 liters of water storage, just enough room for phone, car keys, and a couple granola bars. If you’re creative, you can also fit a windbreaker in the “expansion pouch”; a must for the mountains I ride in.

https://m.dickssportinggoods.com/p/c...vlctyxxxxxxhyd
    Salsa Timberjack SS
    -Gears give me headaches

mtbr member
    Wingnut Assault.
    http://wingnutgear.com/shop

My favorite small pack. Pretty light.
    I use 1.5L camelback bladder with it. I can still fit a tube, 2 levers, snack and even a light jacket in. It can get tight, but it fits!
    I own 3 of their packs and this one gets the most use. Good for 2-3h rides.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    This one works really well for me:
    https://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-Lumb...st%2Bpack&th=1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    The Race Face Rip Strip is pretty good, but is more of a belt than a pack. Holds a lot of stuff though. You can fit smaller water bottles, but probably not 40-50oz.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Evil View Post
    Got this a few weeks ago and very happy with the minimalist aspect as well as storage in the front so I don't have to take it off if I need something. https://www.camelbak.com/en/packs/R0...d790590affbe17
    May end up with one of these some day myself...

Just recently bought both the Camelbak Repack LR 4 (only downside I could find for my use was that it's still a minor hassle to get my phone out and put it away again) and an Osprey Duro 1.5 that's similar to the Camelbak Chase. Haven't had that one out on a ride yet, although I did a good hike with it and overall love the concept and function. Having my phone right up front yet still secured in a pocket is so damn convenient, and beats the hell out of having it in a shorts pocket.

Waiting on a shipment of the larger of the two Duro 1.5 sizes (had to get the s/m one as it was the only one in stock and seemed to fit but after using it on trail i think i need to size up) to make my final determination on the runner-style vest design.

Hell, I'd go back to an actual backpack if I had to just as long as it has that big phone pocket on the shoulder strap.

If you're okay with a pack though, the Osprey Syncro 3 is fan-damn-tastic, has airflow for days with the air mesh suspension, and is sized right around the sweet spot you seem to be looking for.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    IF you used a cell watch and even just one Air Pod, your phone issue goes away. I found the watch to be very liberating and you get severe weather alerts and have millions of songs at the push of one button. I leave my phone in the car so it is fully charged when I return. LEAving my phone behind allows me more minimal pack choices.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalon2018 View Post
    IF you used a cell watch and even just one Air Pod, your phone issue goes away. I found the watch to be very liberating and you get severe weather alerts and have millions of songs at the push of one button. I leave my phone in the car so it is fully charged when I return. LEAving my phone behind allows me more minimal pack choices.
    Cant speak for others, but i would kick myself without having a camera handy. Way too many epic landscape and sunset shots especially recently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Cant speak for others, but i would kick myself without having a camera handy. Way too many epic landscape and sunset shots especially recently.
    A very good point. I used to carry a DSLR in a handlebar bag but too heavy. So I often take a Go Pro on the bars which can be used in different ways. At least I don’t have to pack it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    I have my phone mounted on the bars/stem with a quad lock. Also in a lifeproof case.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    I use a Camelbak Palos 4. Love it. Comine from a full pack, I slimmed down like a lot of guys.

Short-Change-Hero
    Been really happy with my EVOC Hip Race 3L. Picked up on sale from Backcountry.com about a month ago and have been really impressed with it. Fits real good, holds a TON more than actually looks like it should and even without the bladder, you can still hold a large water bottle in the side compartment comfortably. Only gripe has been the bladder which does not have any sort of ridged support structure on the back of it so it kinda flops around as you attempt to put it in it's compartment and the magnetic clip for the straw is sold separately.

Other than that, used it for a race over the weekend (17miles with 2800+ feet of elevation gain) and didn't have a single issue with it. Stays nice and low on your back/hips and has good support structure that it actually stays in place (once you figure out where and how tight you want it). Has enough room to hold tools, small pump, levers, bunch of food, my phone and still has extra room on the small side/strap pockets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    A very good point. I used to carry a DSLR in a handlebar bag but too heavy. So I often take a Go Pro on the bars which can be used in different ways. At least I don’t have to pack it.
    Been trying to figure out a way to haul a dslr for some specific shots. Sadly, all options keep going back to a very large and well padded backpack. Or an equally large but partly rigid pack from Pelican that actually integrates one of their pelican cases. Granted, thats the body, and two canon L lenses (i think the L may stand for "le ****in' heavy")

One of these days... =)

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Thoreau View Post
    Been trying to figure out a way to haul a dslr for some specific shots. Sadly, all options keep going back to a very large and well padded backpack. Or an equally large but partly rigid pack from Pelican that actually integrates one of their pelican cases. Granted, thats the body, and two canon L lenses (i think the L may stand for "le ****in' heavy")

One of these days... =)
    When I need my DSLR, it goes in a bag above the front wheel long wise held in place By the handlebars and stem. Holds a full frame Nikon and a 28-300. I ride more conservative when she is aboard. I capture a few good ones.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I've been curious about this one... With the optional shoulder straps it seems it could be more stable than most if you pack it full..

https://sourceoutdoor.com/en/hydrati...hydration-belt

mtbr member
    Just get the Dakine Hotlaps 5L. Just because it has a bit more room for shit doesn't mean you have to use it. You probably won't find a more minimalist solution with and actual bladder.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I ended up getting the camelbak repack lr4. it definitely has a little more space then I need but I like it alot. It is very comfortable and after a few minutes I forget it is there, something I never felt with a backpack type pack.
    2016 santa cruz stigmata

mtbr member
    How much of an advantage are the hip packs in the heat vs a backpack style hydration pack? Seems like it would help a lot but I'm wondering what real world experiences are. It's miserably hot here right now.

Also, how stable are these for aggressive riding(rock gardens, jumps, etc)?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    How much of an advantage are the hip packs in the heat vs a backpack style hydration pack? Seems like it would help a lot but I'm wondering what real world experiences are. It's miserably hot here right now.

Also, how stable are these for aggressive riding(rock gardens, jumps, etc)?
    I just picked up the Hot Lap 2L so I'll be finding out soon. I imagine they should be quite a bit cooler. From what I've read, they are pretty stable until you start getting the bigger ones and loading them up.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I just picked up the Hot Lap 2L so I'll be finding out soon. I imagine they should be quite a bit cooler. From what I've read, they are pretty stable until you start getting the bigger ones and loading them up.
    My frozen Thule Vital 3 bladder keeps my spine cool for three hours when started frozen. Hip back must be hotter

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    Thanks, let me know how it works for you.

My frozen Thule Vital 3 bladder keeps my spine cool for three hours when started frozen. Hip back must be hotter
    Don't you end up with condensation soaking the bag? I've started putting less ice in my hydration pack because other stuff in my bag was getting wet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    FRom my back you have mesh, then the outside of pack, then the frozen bladder, followed by a plastic waterproof bag with a zipper, then the main storage space. Have not had the wet issue.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I've been riding with a Hot Laps 5L since April.
    It's much cooler than my normal pack which is probably the coolest full sized pack ever made (Vaude with the suspension that keeps the pack off of your back).
    As far as bouncing around goes; when full, it's no worse than my Vaude, halfway through the ride, cinch'er down and it just disappears. Shorter rides, I only fill it 25oz or so and it's like it's not even there. When stopped, it's really nice to be able to spin the pack around, access yer stuff, and spin it back.
    Downsides? You have to wear the belt pretty tight to make it work. This doesn't bother me but it may bother some. The magnetic hose clip works great and after a few rides becomes seamless but, you can't just spit the valve out like you can with a traditional pack, you have to take a hand off of the bar for a second. Online wankers think yer a wanker for riding with a "fannypack". For longer, alpine rides it's not really an option for me as it can't really carry the necessary gear but, it's so nice not having the "monkey on my back" that i'm looking at frame bags and such to make that happen.
    I crashed and hurt my wrist a few weeks back; hiker.
    When hiking, my left wrist occasionally hits the valve and knocks it loose. Pretty annoying but, not nearly as annoying as hiking itself.
    It really needs a functioning wing pocket that you can access while riding. The left side occupies the hose/magnet. The right side is a sad attempt at a wing pocket.
    Last edited by rtsideup; 07-13-2018 at 08:31 PM.