mtbr member
    May 2008

Small, cool hydration pack

I have two hydration packs - CamelBak Mule for long outings and a Novara Draft 1.5L for ~2 hour rides but is busted up and needs to be replaced.

Any recommendations? I'd like something that is well ventilated as it's get very hot and humid where I live. I don't need anything big, will just be carrying a small pump, tube, multitool and a liter of water.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Maybe try to move some of that gear to the bike and use a camelback classic?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Yeah. I downsized from a Mule to a Rogue. It's quite a bit smaller, a lot lighter and has just the right capacity for the few things I carry (tube, mini tool, levers, pump, phone, keys) and it's made such that I can stuff a lightweight vest or warmers into the mesh-sided pocket between the main part and lower zip pocket. Straps are well ventilated. Since it's smaller, the hot spot on my back is smaller.
    Do the math.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have been wearing bib shorts with pockets, and have my tube, tool, etc on the bike.

Bib Shorts With Storage

Another option for you to think about.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    The rogue and classic look like good option. I'll probably swing by REI to see what they have.
    I ride a couple different bikes and would rather have the gear / extra weight on my bike than frame. I forgot to mention too, I'd like the pack to hold my iPhone 6+.

mtbr member
    I don't know if this is up your alley but I just picked this one up, same reason smaller back pack most of my rides are short, and wanted something even more compact. It has a pump pocket and the top pocket is perfect for the phone. I throw my tube in the same compartment as the where the water is, tire levers, maybe room for a couple of more things.

Dakine Shuttle 6L Pack > Accessories > Hydration > Hydration Packs | Jenson USA

Disclosure: I'm thin @ 5'11''+ 160lbs -
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    If you're open to a hip pack, the EVOC Hip Race pack might fit the bill. Been using it now for a couple weeks on short rides and like it much better than wearing my full pack. Way cooler and not having the weight on my back feels great.

Evoc Hip Pack Race w/1.5L Bladder

mtbr member
    You gotta suck harder to get water the lower down it is. I find it noticeable when my the level goes down in my Camelbak. It's even harder with a hip pack. There is a brand of bladder out there that you can pressurize with a squeeze bulb so that it shoots water into your mouth when you bite the valve. That might be a bit over the top, tho.
    Do the math.

No Clue Crew
    Apr 2005
    Leatt DBX 2.0. Remove back protector for maximum coolness.
    Just like a raindrop, I was born to fall.

Dab-O-Matic
    bankS, I've been a camelback whore for a long time. I must have 8 or 9 various brands, Dueter, Camelback, Osprey, and have narrowed it down to 3 hydration packs. One for all day epic hikes/rides, an Osprey Raptor 14. One for 2-3 hr rides where I need the carrying capacity of a backpack but want it to be as light and cool as possible, a Platypus X.C. 5. And finally for faster rides where I am not that far from civilization and don't want to carry tools, food, etc., I'll use an Osprey Talon 6 waist pack.
    For your needs, I think your looking at the Platypus, which has a very nice mesh back with foam ribbing that is extremely light and cooling. You can actually feel the cooling effect during your rides which really surprised me.
    Good luck and report back!

https://www.rei.com/product/101539/p...-pack-3-liters
    SB4.5 XX1/XTR
    SB5c X0
    Cannondale Black Di2/disk (roadie)
    '07 575 XT
    ASRc (ret)
    SB95c (ret)
    SB95a (reti)

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Maybe check out some fanny packs. They are pretty minimalist, and keep your back cooler.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    I don't know if this is up your alley but I just picked this one up, same reason smaller back pack most of my rides are short, and wanted something even more compact. It has a pump pocket and the top pocket is perfect for the phone. I throw my tube in the same compartment as the where the water is, tire levers, maybe room for a couple of more things.

Dakine Shuttle 6L Pack > Accessories > Hydration > Hydration Packs | Jenson USA

Disclosure: I'm thin @ 5'11''+ 160lbs -
    I picked up two of them. It's quite a bit smaller than the Vaude pack I have now. Smaller pack is good for rides under two hours. My Banshee only has a bottle mount under the downtube. I tried riding with the bottle and it was pretty nasty. The smaller, lighter pack will be nice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    I picked up two of them. It's quite a bit smaller than the Vaude pack I have now. Smaller pack is good for rides under two hours. My Banshee only has a bottle mount under the downtube. I tried riding with the bottle and it was pretty nasty. The smaller, lighter pack will be nice.
    Cool, Im doing a 22mile ride coming up, do you think this one is too small? Im still thinking I need a bigger one for longer rides. So was thinking of getting the same Dakine but next size. I have the same issue with the water bottle but I clean it before I drink and so far is not too bad.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    Cool, Im doing a 22mile ride coming up, do you think this one is too small? Im still thinking I need a bigger one for longer rides. So was thinking of getting the same Dakine but next size. I have the same issue with the water bottle but I clean it before I drink and so far is not too bad.
    Hard to say, everyone consumes water different. At least for me...I'd be out for 3.5 to 4 hours on a 22 mile ride. It would also depend on how much I'm climbing and how warm it is.

I was out in Vegas (Cottonwood which is fairly flat) in September it was over 80 degrees out...riding for about 3 hours and used up all the ~60oz of water I had. Went back in January when it was 40 degrees and I had water to spare.

If I was going out for more than 3 hours...I'd take my bigger pack. The bladder holds more water than the one in the Dakine.

mtbr member
    I recently picked up the Dakine Session 8L pack. Very light, breathable, and holds 70oz of water. Slightly larger than the Shuttle,but still great for shorter rides.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I went in REI and checked out a few packs. The capacity seemed quite low with a few of them as they didn't have a big pocket, and it would be tough to fit my pump, phone and tube. The CamelBak Rogue seemed like a good size, but I also liked the Osprey Syncros 10, which isn't small but fit well, has a nice ventilated back, lightweight, nice storage and a waterproof shell. I figure it'll be good for longer outings too when I don't need my CamelBak Mule.
    I knew it was on closeout - https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...pack-25-liters and was about $42 after I used the MEMLOVE20 20% off code, so at that price it was too good to pass up

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I've been using a Camelback Rogue for the last five years or so and while it's about perfect capacity I have never loved it's stability. The biggest problem I have is that it isn't long/tall enough for me to use the "hip belt" effectively and it tends to climb up my back on descents, and bounce around the rest of the time.

Ideally I'd like something with a similar capacity to the Lobo that was taller, and possibly more slender, that has a nice hip belt. Extra points for pockets on the hip belt for snacks.

I'm a big fan of the Osprey stuff, but their small stuff just sits too high for my liking. I have a Talon 22 and Manta 20 that I like, but they are both just too big for shorter rides, and the Manta could be more stable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I find blowing air into the reservoir to create some pressure helps in that situation.

mtbr member
    I have one of these. Everything else seems like junk after using this . Nearly identical to USMC ILBE gear. The bladder is awesome, has a type of glass lining that is easy to clean and will not absorb funk.You could choose another one of their packs with a little more storage?https://sourcetacticalgear.com/packs/74-tactical-

mtbr member
    I recently got the Source Hipster, but ended up also ordering an evoc Hip Race after seeing a couple people here doing a comparison and keeping the evoc. Add me to that list. I think the evoc is much better made and thought out- way better storage.

I think I'm going to end up putting two cages on my bike and using bottles primarily, and just use the fanny pack for tools, food, gear. Just in the test ride around my yard, it felt so liberating to have all that weight and pack off my back from the traditional Camelbak I've been using for years.
    Crashing mountain bikes since 1990.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    USWE packs