mtbr member

Sidi Dragon 2's make for good AM Shoes?

I need to get some new shoes and am wondering if the sidi dragon2 would make for a good AM shoe.. Stiff soles seem like they would work well and i like the heel adjust on the shoe---- what do you guys think?
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    absolutely not. you will tear them apart on any hike a bikes. ask me how i know.
    The mountains are calling and I must go

mtbr member
    So what would be a good shoe? Looking for something light and stiff and good fit(i have a low volume foot).. Price isnt the concern as much as quality.. I ride mostly in Santa Barbara-- so there is a decent amount of jumping off and having to carry the bike over big obstacles-- but not walking toooo far..
    My free racing tv guide-- www.racingtvguide.com

Dropshot Champ!
    I've been riding a carbon sole specialized shoe for a few years, walks/hikes fine. The sidi dom5's were horrrrrible to walk in, but felt the best ON the bike. No clue on the dragons.

Go with what fits best.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Definitely would NOT recommend the Sidi Dragons as an AM type shoe... they get trashed quickly if you hike in them and the traction is minimal... I have used the Dominator 5 for years and these work good for me, although the sole is still not the best for walking... in the past I have found Shimano shoes offer the best combination of on/off bike capability, but the Sidi's fit the best.

mtbr member
    I'm using Shimano M300 shoes and they are great. They've lasted around 2 years and still going on rocky terrain. Very nice fit and I didn't use the heat moulding; I just never got around to it. They have a nice, solid plastic toe protector that I think is a must for rocky hike-a-bike sections. I also have Dragons and thought about buying the toe protector for them but I don't like how it fits onto the shoe. The Dragons are nice shoes too, definitely a narrower fit than the Shimanos, but they feel a lot flimsier. I just bought a pair of Northwave Aerator 5s so I'll see how they go too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I got a pair of Lake MX165 off of ebay for $60.

grippy vibram soles with a good tread pattern, enough flex to comfortably walk/hike in and still stiff enough to hammer in them.
    fit is similar to sidi, maybe slightly bigger.

altazo
    My Sidi Dragons have been the best cycling shoes I've ever used. I've had them for 3 seasons and plan on using them next summer. However, I only use them for clipping into my Shimano DX SPD platform pedals and riding a 6" travel bike. I don't use them for hiking...

Fragglepuss The Chaste
    Sidi's are great for road riding and riding where you never have to walk or hike a bike. If you want a durable shoe that will last, go with Lake. They come with beefy (read heavy) Vibram soles and are available in narrow and wide versions. I have a pair in circulation that are now 4 years old and they look no worse for the wear other than the velcro is pretty much done.
    I gave up my Sidi's to the road bike after stepping off onto wet rocks, etc... and having those chinsey Sidi soles slip and basically provide zero traction.
    Only draw back is that the Lake's are noticeably heavier than the Sidi's so if you're all aggro XC racer I would go back to square one.

Plus they're less than half the price of the Sidi's.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    x2 Lake. I like Sidi riding boots (road motorcycle), but can't see paying what they're asking for those. I have 2 pair of Lakes. Super comfy shoes you can wear to walk around in all day long, and great on the trail too.

mtbr member
    my wife ride in sidi shoes for a three years, walking in them too, no problems. but no jumps at all.
    I'm from Ukraine, Kiev
    I'm graphics and web designer
    Follow me on Behance

mtbr member
    Does not sound like a good idea. Sidi's are great, but not for this type of use.

Get light platforms and some 5.10 or Shimano AM40/41.

If you prefer clipless - Lake MX 165 with Vibram sole.

If you are a weight weenie - platform setup can be actually plenty light (~300g pedals and low top shows).

Gnar
    Sidi's are great shoes for cross country riding. For AM riding not so good.

mtbr member
    I have yet to find a shoe I love.

I have dom 5s now, and they are ok. They suck to walk in, and the heel cup has stretched over time. Booo. Ok is fine, but not for what they retail. I paid $150 for mine, which is a "deal" and I still think they are too expensive for the features they offer.

I had a pair of Vibram soled Lakes. Mx-something. They were comfortable, and grippy for running, but fell apart after 2 seasons. I also had a pair of Times I wore for ever. I didn't like anything about those, except they fit and didn't fall apart.

Northwaves are next on my list

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    if the Lake MX165s are too low rent for you, Lake has some higher end shoes that have boa laces and carbon soles. Probably borderline for AM work though. All of their shoes do have good, high traction soles though.
    IMO Lake seems to be about the only manufacturer addressing the needs of average trail and AM mountain bikers who are neither weenie XC racers or stoked gravity riders.

Fotu Northwaves are better than sidis but still not great for AM riding. I destroyed a new pair of mine on a rocky hike a bike section of an AM ride. sole isnt very grippy on rocks but better than plastic sidi. Northwave support was great though and sent me a new pair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan55
    if the Lake MX165s are too low rent for you, Lake has some higher end shoes that have boa laces and carbon soles.
    That sweet Vibram sole is the whole reason. Best clipless shoes for when you have to hike-a-bike, in my experience. A bit on the heavy side. But nowadays I have switched to platform any time I expect to dismount.

mtbr member

Cheap Sette Epic's have held up the best.

In the last couple years I have torn up 3 pairs of shoes. Now on my fourth.

Adidas Plush--Sole split in half down the middle(6 months)
    Shimano AM-50--Sole split in half down the middle(4 months)
    Shimano SH-086L---Sole split in half down the middle(2 months)

Sette Epic---6 months and no sign of ending.

I live in Arizona, and I like rocky technical trails, and I frequent trails that have sections that are impossible for anyone to climb, so "hike-a-bike" happens quite a lot. All the other shoes the soles ended up tearing in half. But the Epic's are very solidly made on the bottom, and even though they are all scraped up, they show no signs of coming apart.

Add in that I got them for $50 and you have a winner!!

b a n n e d
    I just got a pair of Shimano's M230C's which have a carbon sole to em'. They fit very nicely after the molding. I got them for a pretty good price out the door but I fear that they aren't going to be very good when I have to HAB. I already had them molded so I guess I'm stuck with them now!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I love Sidi's for AM use. It is true they are not great hikers, but I don't want to hike in them. The soles are plastic and slip on rocks. I find the durability excellent. I use to burn through Shimano shoes, having the soles separate from the uppers (haven't ridden them since 1996 now).

Anyway, anything that makes a show good for hiking will be a compromise for biking and vice versa. I guess you should decide what is more important.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DWDW
    I love Sidi's for AM use. It is true they are not great hikers, but I don't want to hike in them. The soles are plastic and slip on rocks. I find the durability excellent. I use to burn through Shimano shoes, having the soles separate from the uppers (haven't ridden them since 1996 now).

Anyway, anything that makes a show good for hiking will be a compromise for biking and vice versa. I guess you should decide what is more important.
    +1, came to post this. Been riding Sidi since -94.