L1MEY

Should you replace a helmet after it's been dropped?

I heard once that you're supposed to replace your helmet if you drop it on a hard surface. I did this a few years ago because I dropped a helmet down a large flight of concrete stairs, and decided I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Today I went out to the garage to find that the shelf rack holding my bike had collapsed on the floor, taking my helmet with it. The helmet fell about 3 feet onto concrete. It looks okay, but then so did the one I dropped down the stairs.

Does anyone know for sure whether a helmet is still okay after a drop like that? I tried Giro's website, but couldn't find anything about replacement there.

- Jen.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I would not worry about it.

If the entire contents of the shelf (and they were very heavy) landed on top of the helmet, maybe it should be replaced.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You and your helmet are still perfectly safe. It takes an impact on the helmet to replace it. The three foot drop didn't do anything to it, most likely, if you've ever been slapped on the helmet by a buddy, it was much worse of a hit, but still nothing to worry about.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I've smacked my helmet on the ground a few times with my bony head inside of it and its still going strong. Look for deformation, dents or cracks of the styrofoam to see if the helmet is ok. Helmets are very durable and require pretty good impacts to render them unusable, especially the newer models that have a hardshell. Helmets have come a long way and live a very long time even with rough use.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig
    I heard once that you're supposed to replace your helmet if you drop it on a hard surface. I did this a few years ago because I dropped a helmet down a large flight of concrete stairs, and decided I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Today I went out to the garage to find that the shelf rack holding my bike had collapsed on the floor, taking my helmet with it. The helmet fell about 3 feet onto concrete. It looks okay, but then so did the one I dropped down the stairs.

Does anyone know for sure whether a helmet is still okay after a drop like that? I tried Giro's website, but couldn't find anything about replacement there.

- Jen.
    You probably overheard somebody talking about motorcycle helmets. The shell on them supposedly can delaminate if you drop one.

Baron of Gray Matter
    May 2004
    I hope motorcycle helmet are tougher than that. We (racing buds and I) used to fling a new one across the parking lot before wearing it. Anytime you use new unscratched gear on a ride, your just asking for a crash. So we would prescratch the helmet and avoid the new gear crash. But that also a superstition, but it seemed to work, my gear never caused me to crash, I on the other hand caused me to crash a lot.
    "Oh Dear, I've been redorkulated."
    Prof. Frink.

MTB B'dos
    As Shiggy said, if it fell and the stuff on the shelf fell ontop of it, then yes it could possibly need replacing. Check it for scratches, dents and cracks - my loving nephews did a similar one for me, 'cept they knocked my bike over with the helmet on the bar ends. Was about a 3ft drop but with the weight and pressure from bar ends they cracked the helmet good and just picked the bike back up and put the helmet like nothing had happened. I almost strangled them when I found it, knew exactly what had happened een though they never told me and wouldn't admit to it.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

it's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Simpson
    I hope motorcycle helmet are tougher than that. We (racing buds and I) used to fling a new one across the parking lot before wearing it. Anytime you use new unscratched gear on a ride, your just asking for a crash. So we would prescratch the helmet and avoid the new gear crash. But that also a superstition, but it seemed to work, my gear never caused me to crash, I on the other hand caused me to crash a lot.
    I hope you are joking.
    Most motorcycle helmets are designed to take ONE hard hit.
    You've been ruining new helmets and made them unsafe in case of real crash.