mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Should I buy Knee/Shin pads or just Knee's pads ?

Im in doubt if i buy the Nukeproof Critical Armour - Knee/Shin or Nukeproof Critical Armour - Knee

What do you think?

mtbr member
    Do you hit your shins very much? I don't, and I have not wished I had more shin protection than offered by by 661 Kyle Straits.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I dont hit that much too. But the thing is, if i buy the knee pad and go ride and for some reason i crash and scratch my shins, i would have wanted to have the shins pads too. that regret feeling

Thats why im undecided.

mtbr member
    Whacking a shin is rarely as bad as a kneecap...
    Sure, they will look like Edward James Olmos after a while,
    but you will at least be able to walk.

At least buy separate parts so you are not forced to wear shins.
    Time wounds all heels...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    But between the knee and knee/shin there's only a difference of 7€. If I was to buy separate parts that would cost much more.

mtbr member
    it really depends on where and how you ride. if the main reason is to protect your shin from a pedal slip, get some 5.10s instead.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    do what you want.

mtbr member
    FWIW, if you go the shin/knee route, consider how hot these might be. I have the POC long knee pads and although they offer great protection and are, for the most part comfortable, they are definitely HOT.

mtbr member
    I'm currently missing a very large amount of flesh down to the bone on my left shin. Honestly I should have went to the doctor. It's the first time in 9 years this has happened and it only happened because I recently added more PSI in my rear shock than I was used too and was riding lazy. A solid pair of platform pedals plus a great shoe combo to match will pretty much eliminate a shin strike because it will grip like clips. Hell, I even get lift with my 5.10's.

I ride 5.10 impact lows plus forte convert pedals or crank brothers 50/50 pedals. Both pedals are cheese graters for your legs.

mtbr member
    Protection you will wear is better than protection you will not wear. I am more comfortable in my 661's than I would be in full shin/knee gear, and am happy to wear it most rides. Plus, I rarely have any issues with hitting my shins.

You don't have to spend that much on shin guards, by the way. $15 soccer guards will protect just as well as anything.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member

Re: Should I buy Knee/Shin pads or just Knee's pads ?

Quote Originally Posted by Tystevens View Post
    Do you hit your shins very much? I don't, and I have not wished I had more shin protection than offered by by 661 Kyle Straits.
    The 661 KS pads are great.
    “You see us? We’re the people kicking your a*s. Fear us, because we will kill you, motherfu*ker,”*

-Chris Kyle

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I got knee pads thinking that I didn't need shin pads. When I hit a cut tree trunk that was hiding in the grass and my foot came off the pedal and the pedal then hit my shin I wished I had shin protection.

I also have a problem with branches being kicked up and wedged in my shins somehow.

I think best advice is where and how you ride if you really need it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    yeah if you ride aggressively on gnarly trail, better have knee & shin guard. for regular trail, maybe just knee pads.
    Like other has mentioned, soccer shinguard is great protection as well, and perhaps you already have a pair?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Listen!

Quote Originally Posted by apsol View Post
    But the thing is, if i buy the knee pad and go ride and for some reason i crash and scratch my shins, i would have wanted to have the shins pads too. that regret feeling

Thats why im undecided.

i believe you have just answered your own question....better be safe the 1st time around than sorry.

IMO get full coverage

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It really depends on your riding, the likelihood of something causing your feet to come off the pedals, the likelihood of something striking your shins, and your personal aversion to risk.

Sudden slowing, as in deep sand, will often result in a pedal strike and when'd I ride in the desert, I use shin guards as well as knee pads. I do not do fast downhills.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I use the Endura MT500 Kevlar knee pads, They cover a good portion of my shins.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I use FiveTen Men's Impact High Shoe and Xpedo Face Off Pedal XMX13.

No, my feet don't slip off the pedals much. But when they do in rough terrain I am really glad I have shin guards for those Xpedo pins to sink into rather than my flesh

I actually am currently using Dirty Dave's long kneepads for this

Dirty Daves

mtbr member

Re: Should I buy Knee/Shin pads or just Knee's pads ?

I used the Fox Launch knee/shin guards for a couple of years. Saved my knee big time a couple of years ago when I hit a cut branch as I went through some brush. They were not too bad in the heat. That being said, I use 661 Evo knee pads now.

sent from my Galaxy Note 3

mtbr member
    This is what I wear and I really like them
    Protection for Extreme Athletes | Electronics Protection | G-Form

mtbr member
    In riding N.E. Rock gardens my shins get the most damage of any body part. Even if I do hit my knee I hit my shin first. So for me the knee guards would go before the shin guards.
    When you've seen someone rupture their scrotum on a bike you won't take the standards for top tube clearance lightly!