Thread: Shorts w/armor?

HJB
    USA USA USA USA USA

Shorts w/armor?

What are my options for shorts that have built in hip and tailbone protection? Price point has some that are like liners that could be worn under regular shorts but I'm leary of the quality, I'd like to see them with my own eyes before plunking down the $$. Anyone got any first hand experience? Where should I look for things like this?

Thanks!

Glad to Be Alive
    661 makes some real nice ones

http://www.sixsixone.com/gear/armor_bomber.html
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

HJB
    USA USA USA USA USA
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    Perfect.. exactly what I'm looking for! Thanks!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by HJB

better deal

http://www.beyondbikes.com/bb/ItemMa...r&MatrixType=1
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member

Padded Shorts

First....don't even waste your time with Rockgardn's CYA shorts. They're garbage. The biggest rip off I've seen in a great long while. My buddy manage's a board shop and I happen to run across a pair made by Protec for skateboarders. I tried 'em on....they're awesome. Padding is really thick and tough and where you need it. They're made of a super strong nylon stretchy material with thick elastic wasteband and pull up loops. Mine were about 50 bucks...worth every penny. Check your local skate shop and see if they got 'em. Awesome shorts.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    The pricepoints work pretty good. The've saved my butt & legs a couple of times

Chillin the Most

is a waste of money compared to the Rockgardn CYA shorts. Better fit and padding, the 66* padding is very thin, almost useless, compared to the RG. They fit like bike shorts with thick ergo padding. Check'em out before you waste your money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by red5
    is a waste of money compared to the Rockgardn CYA shorts. Better fit and padding, the 66* padding is very thin, almost useless, compared to the RG. They fit like bike shorts with thick ergo padding. Check'em out before you waste your money.

Those are the ones I ordered. I was pretty disappointed. The lycra is THIN and almost ripped at the stitching pulling 'em on the first time. Padding is "so so". Definately not worth 60 bones.
    You have bleed with Wallace.....now bleed with me!

mtbr member
    There seems to be some controversy over the CYA shorts. Who actually has experience with these?

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    There seems to be some controversy over the CYA shorts. Who actually has experience with these?
    I along with several of my friends have been using them for about 6 months with no probs. As for VooDoo's issues, might I suggest you contact RG, they have an awesome warranty dept you should be taken care of if the issue was indeed a mfging problem.

I've used other armour shorts that were very similiar to the 66*'s and I personally think the padding and design of the CYA's are much better. When I crash using the *new* 05 CYA's my bruising is much less severe than with the lesser padded shorts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Somewhat related...I had the rockgardn leg armor and it started falling apart very quickly due to a stupid design flaw. (tore the very thin layer connecting the knee pad to the shin pad). I only wore them 5 times or so before it happened. I have my doubts about their quality now.

V10 Freerider
    What are my options for shorts that have built in hip and tailbone protection? Price point has some that are like liners that could be worn under regular shorts but I'm leary of the quality, I'd like to see them with my own eyes before plunking down the $$. Anyone got any first hand experience? Where should I look for things like this?

Thanks!
    I have a pair of the Sette padded shorts that Pricepoint sells. Overall I have been happy with them but they could offer more protection. The price is quite low though. I was not wanting to look or feel like I was in a Sumo suit so these fit the bill. I have crashed in them a few times and they certainly helped. I would recommend them as a cheaper alternative.
    The Super T you have is really a very good fork. I'd take that fork over a Fox 40 or a Boxer unless i was entering a fashon contest instead of a race

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by alexchannell
    Somewhat related...I had the rockgardn leg armor and it started falling apart very quickly due to a stupid design flaw. (tore the very thin layer connecting the knee pad to the shin pad). I only wore them 5 times or so before it happened. I have my doubts about their quality now.
    And I take it you didn't call them either did you?? You thought it better to just except that all their stuff is crap and bash it on MTBR. Wanker! I know for a fact that quality is a #1 priority, along with fitment and design at ROCKGARDN. If you've had a problem, I'd highly advise you give RG a call and I assure you all the issues will be dealt with. Some people , jeez.

Xtremely Moderate
    Does the tailbone pad cover your arsehole?

If it does I need to get a pair before I go to Shiver's house.

"Korash your enemiez, zee zem driven bevore you, and ear ze lamentation of za vemen"

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    And I take it you didn't call them either did you?? You thought it better to just except that all their stuff is crap and bash it on MTBR. Wanker! I know for a fact that quality is a #1 priority, along with fitment and design at ROCKGARDN. If you've had a problem, I'd highly advise you give RG a call and I assure you all the issues will be dealt with. Some people , jeez.
    Obviously quality and design are not of top priorities, because these were design issues relating to quality. No I didn't call as they didn't fit very well in the first place and I was unimpressed with them. I purchased roach rally leg armor and it is of MUCH better fit and finish.
    I never said all their stuff was crap, I said I don't have any faith in it and will not try it again. Let others take that as they may.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by alexchannell
    Obviously quality and design are not of top priorities, because these were design issues relating to quality. No I didn't call as they didn't fit very well in the first place and I was unimpressed with them. I purchased roach rally leg armor and it is of MUCH better fit and finish.
    I never said all their stuff was crap, I said I don't have any faith in it and will not try it again. Let others take that as they may.
    Well maybe you don't know how production runs work when workign with oversees vendors who mfg products for companies. But when a company receives samples for testing and those sample are put through the ringer for 3-6 months by riders without issue, then there is no way for the comapny to know if the production company is slacking without feedback from comsumers. Since you didn't contact RG with regards to your particular issue, your just perpetrating the issue further. Sadly with the volume and timeframe under which products are mfg'd and sold, every item that comes through the doors cannot be checked so yeah issues may arise from time to time, however I can assure they are few and far between considering the ammout of product that is actually in use. Sh!t happens, and since you did nothing to rectify the issue the only person at fault would be you.

Thanks for your info, regardless of whether your intent was to slander RG or not, I will pass this info along to RG. Thanks.

Hate to say it red5, but you are far from being an unbiased resource when it comes to Rockgarden, espec since your sig line implies that you are affiliated with them in some way.

That said, I've never used them. I do have the 661s, but haven't ridden with them yet. They were comfortable when I tried them on and seem to be well ventilated; they are a mesh rather than the lycra that Rockgarden appears to use.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    Hate to say it red5, but you are far from being an unbiased resource when it comes to Rockgarden, espec since your sig line implies that you are affiliated with them in some way.

That said, I've never used them. I do have the 661s, but haven't ridden with them yet. They were comfortable when I tried them on and seem to be well ventilated; they are a mesh rather than the lycra that Rockgarden appears to use.
    So I guess I'm not entitled to an opinion, since I happen to endorse RG products. The fact that I use there products has no bearing on my opinion, I try to remain as unbiased as possible and stick to just the facts. Which is what I did in my previous post in this thread. Everything I said was true, the padding of the 66* shorts is alot thinner than the RG and becasue of the material used in the body of the short, the RG will fit better.

No biggie though if you like 66*, everyone is entitled to there opinion and tastes differ.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by eo
    Does the tailbone pad cover your arsehole?
    If it does I need to get a pair before I go to Shiver's house.

like a french hookers panties...you just push it to the side

So I guess I'm not entitled to an opinion, since I happen to endorse RG products. The fact that I use there products has no bearing on my opinion, I try to remain as unbiased as possible and stick to just the facts. Which is what I did in my previous post in this thread. Everything I said was true, the padding of the 66* shorts is alot thinner than the RG and becasue of the material used in the body of the short, the RG will fit better.

No biggie though if you like 66*, everyone is entitled to there opinion and tastes differ.
    Point taken. But you must admit, stating that buying 661 shorts is "a waste of money" sounds like an opinioniated statement.

Chillin the Most
    Quote Originally Posted by marsb
    Point taken. But you must admit, stating that buying 661 shorts is "a waste of money" sounds like an opinioniated statement.
    Yeah that would be my opinion, but I backed it up with actual facts. The fact is if you want the best protection better padding makes more sense, as long as it's well placed and designed, but not to the point of being bulky or constrictive.

Anyhoo it's all butter.

rockin the mid-west

661 bomber shorts

Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    they are the best i love them. the only thing i dont like about 661 is the dont make pads for tall ppl. i have had to add pads to my steve peat as well as my bomber shorts
    [SIZE="4"]PUNK FOR LIFE[/SIZE]
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I have a pair of the 661 shorts. I hardly ever wear them any more, because they just don't offer much protection. Same with the RG pads. The new Dainese shorts are super-sweet and offer some real protection -- thick hard plastic with foam padding -- and they're not outrageously priced at about $100. They fit really well. Some of my riding buddies have them and love 'em. Here's some pics http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_dainese.html

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by watermoccasin
    I have a pair of the 661 shorts. I hardly ever wear them any more, because they just don't offer much protection. Same with the RG pads. The new Dainese shorts are super-sweet and offer some real protection -- thick hard plastic with foam padding -- and they're not outrageously priced at about $100. They fit really well. Some of my riding buddies have them and love 'em. Here's some pics http://www.go-ride.com/prod_armor_dainese.html
    Have you worn those?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RobsterCraw
    Have you worn those?
    I tried 'em on at the LBS, and was really impressed at how well they fit and move. I have not ridden with them on (armored shorts aren't my bag), but have ridden up at Whistler with two of my riding buds who have them and they both LOVE 'em.