mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Shorts with reinforced butt?

So I found out that if you ride in wet conditions the dirt plastered on your ass when rubbed on a seat will wear through shorts pretty quick. All the shorts I've seen have non-reinforced butts. This means that at the end of their life, shorts will tend to be in good condition except with holes in the ass. A pair with a reinforced butt should last me another year at least. Who makes em?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    A cheap solution that doesn't restrict you on short choice would be a removable rear mudguard (Crud Catcher race for MTB or an SKS Blade for road).If it's MTB and you use a dropper post then this may not work. Additional benefit is you'll minimise chaffing by keeping your arse dry(er) as this is the main root cause of 90%+ of arse damage IMO.

Personally for MTB I go quality liner (Assos bibs.. Uno's or Millies) and a cheap outer and couple this with a crud catcher, I can ride all day in horrendous conditions like this with no ill effects.

For the road I use Assos FI 13's in the summer and I go full "Nude" lycra, the arse section is reinforced (Synthetic leather type fabric) on these but I also have an SKS Blade fitted.

The Assos shorts are Ultra expensive.. especially the FI 13's (cost me 170) . I can all day ride in Assos shorts multiple days with no discomfort or chaffing so to me personally they are worth every penny and I won't buy anything now even though I was sceptical at first, yes it's cost me a small fortune for a mixed set but my arse thanks me for it during and after every ride .

I've heard good things abut the Yeti shorts and liners but no personal experience.