mtbr member
    Mar 2008

New question here. Shorter Baggy-ish Shorts?

Not talking daisy dukes but I'm looking for shorts that aren't the traditional baggy boarder short that comes to or below the knee. I'm not ready to jump to full spandex but also don't want something that seems to drag me down with the length when I'm suffering uphill. I think I prefer to have the chamois built in but open to whatever works well on the trials. The main pair I ride in are some Navaro's I got on clearance at REI some time ago. I live in GA so not looking for something really heavy either as the humidity plays evil tricks out here.

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Fat & Single
    My favourite shorts at the moment are Pearl Izumi Canyons, they come to just above the knee and are a tigher fit than regular shorts. They are made of a very light stretchy material so the tigher fit means that they still remain comfortable, ive been riding one pair for about 9 months now and since bought 2 more pairs in different colours, good deals can be found on eBay if you are patient.

They also come with a pair of PI 3D under chamois shorts which are pretty good too. I wear the Canyon shorts around casually too so they get a bit of use and abuse. Go a size smaller than you usually wear, i read that off reviews before buying and it was spot on. Im normally a large but medium in these fits nicely.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

Cow Clicker
    Prana Mojo shorts over a plush set of bibs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I don't like the huge parachute below my knee shorts either... I've accumulated a few pairs of decent length shorts over the years, and uhhh, my fovorite pair is a... pair of women's bike shorts :-D Thats right, I cross dress when I ride my MTB.

Sleek Jamis Exile Rider
    I bought these yesterday at academy. 30 bones

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...+shors&Ntk=All

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshawn View Post
    Honestly I would just wear lycra,
    I agree.

Lycra is the best choice for a cyclist hands down.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    My favourite shorts at the moment are Pearl Izumi Canyons, they come to just above the knee and are a tigher fit than regular shorts. They are made of a very light stretchy material so the tigher fit means that they still remain comfortable, ive been riding one pair for about 9 months now and since bought 2 more pairs in different colours, good deals can be found on eBay if you are patient.

They also come with a pair of PI 3D under chamois shorts which are pretty good too. I wear the Canyon shorts around casually too so they get a bit of use and abuse. Go a size smaller than you usually wear, i read that off reviews before buying and it was spot on. Im normally a large but medium in these fits nicely.
    I bought pair of canyons last year and quickly bought three more pair, while getting rid of all of mt other baggy shorts. Best fit I've ever had in baggies and well worth the $50 per pair ( from Amazon) I paid for them.
    The Good Times are Killing me

dvn
    mtbr member
    Canyons are my favorite as well.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Endura makes some nice medium style length non-ganster I love.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I'm in GA too. I've used these on 100 degree days. They are awesome. Perfect amount of bagginess and they hit just above the knee. Just put them over some padded liner shorts.

Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo Shorts

Columbia Silver Ridge Cargo Shorts - Men's at REI.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My favorite pair of shorts, which aren't really designed with MTBing in mind, but they are made for cycling, swimming and looking good doing whatever you're doing: OUTLIER Three Way Shorts
    I have these shorts and two pairs of the Outlier pants that I would wear for working and commuting and the like and although they are expensive, they fit well, are as comfortable as lycra, are made in the USA. The pants are pretty amazing because they are water proof (water just beads off). Outlier will also repair them for free if anything happens. I got a pair of the pants caught in my chain and they tore and Outlier just gave me a new pair. I've had the shorts for 2 years now and they still look as good as the day that I got them and they're pretty much the only shorts that I wear. I took them out on a 30 ride at Annadel yesterday and didn't miss wearing lycra since I stand enough and my saddle is comfortable enough that I really don't feel the need for ass pads most of the time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Agreed that why are there so many baggies designed below the knee???

I really like the Troy Lee Ace shorts, above the knee, have worked awesome for me. A touch more snug in the waist as well compared to the other brands of same size which is good as the shorts start to get damp from sweat or water and start to stretch out/hang down. Apparently their newest model, Skyline??? has two different seams/hems at the bottom so you can cut them shorter (I believe below knee or above).