mtbr member

Shoes - My Head is Going to Explode

I ride a hybrid and do occasional light trails. I am looking for a shoe to use on my platforms with the idea of going to SPD later on. I have read every shoe thread here and on the road bike forum (those weren't much help) and am more confused than ever. It seems that the 5.10 Hellcat fits the bill but I hear they are heavy. Other shoes are too sticky/not sticky enough. Some shoes fit small/large/wide/narrow.

Obviously it would be best to try a number of shoes on but I would have to hit about 10 different LBS to do that.

I guess my real question is: just how heavy are the Hellcats and does it make a big difference for someone who rides primarily on paths or rail-trails for 20-30 miles at a time?

Any information is appreciated for other ideas - although I may finally lose it.

LightJunction.com
    If you're riding a hybrid on rails to trails, I wouldn't dwell too much on the weight of any component/article of clothing. As long as you're buying something of decent quality, you'll be just fine. Weight is typically only a concern for more aggressive types of riding.
    We sell quality bike headlights and flashlights.
    www.LightJunction.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Right shoe, tool for the job

Based on your criteria you need both. If I am riding my hybrid 20 or 30 miles I want clip-ins, If I am riding trails with technical areas that require alot of get offs, walk a bike I want flats and my 5.10's, (the next best thing to clip ins). Winter, I put the spd's on since I ride lower trails, paths with less technical areas, I am more efficient, faster and it is more fun. Come spring I'll switch back to flats on the fs mt bike, the hybrib I leave clip ons on all the time. funner to ride. We need a pedal that you can change from flats to clipons with a quick release.

Quote Originally Posted by teamfour View Post

I ride a hybrid and do occasional light trails. I am looking for a shoe to use on my platforms with the idea of going to SPD later on. I have read every shoe thread here and on the road bike forum (those weren't much help) and am more confused than ever. It seems that the 5.10 Hellcat fits the bill but I hear they are heavy. Other shoes are too sticky/not sticky enough. Some shoes fit small/large/wide/narrow.

Obviously it would be best to try a number of shoes on but I would have to hit about 10 different LBS to do that.

I guess my real question is: just how heavy are the Hellcats and does it make a big difference for someone who rides primarily on paths or rail-trails for 20-30 miles at a time?

Any information is appreciated for other ideas - although I may finally lose it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    My personal experience with hellcats.... Yes they are heavier than normal shoes due to the cleats. I only notice the weight when I have them in my hands. Never one time have I said or thought to myself "these shoes are heavy" while wearing them. I dont notice the weight at all while walking or riding. The shoes are great buy them and enjoy them!
    2014 SJ Expert EVO Carbon 29er

EDR
    just how heavy are the Hellcats and does it make a big difference for someone who rides primarily on paths or rail-trails for 20-30 miles at a time?
    Don't give the weight a second thought unless you are a weight weenie racer....I've been riding Lake mx165's for years and never once thought, "man my shoes are heavy". Not while riding anyhow.

According to Zappos the Hellcats are 1lb 4oz (that's each I'm sure). My lake mx165's weigh that much and are considered heavy for mtb shoes but I love them for many reasons.
    Five Ten Hellcat - Zappos.com Free Shipping BOTH Ways

adrenalin fiend
    Dude check out the agu aq34 just ordered mine from nashbar for 20 bucks and they are spd ready

Paste eater
    I'd just ride flats until you graduate from the hybrid.