Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Lookin for that extra can
    May 2004

New question here. shoes for homers

After a special top-secret trail maneuver on the pack today, I managed to shred my right shoe (along with knees, elbows, shoulders and shins). So, I thought I'd see what the Homers liked in the new shoe department. I ride lots of techy, rocky, rocky, rocky terrain and I'm starting to think that a departure from the ol' XC style shoe might be a good idea ala the Oakley Radar:

Other ideas?

--rip

MK_
    carpe maņana
    These Oakleys look like they'll cook your feet.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

oly
    mtbr member
    661 launch have always proven to be great Flats with cleats.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MK_
    These Oakleys look like they'll cook your feet.

_MK
    I agree 100% seems like most of the "flat" style shoes only come in black... look cool, but they ain't! The 661's (launch I think) that I looked at seemed like they'd cook feet quite well too. What do you like for CO?

--rip

MK_
    carpe maņana
    After my Nike Cairins broke under the cleat I got some Sidis. Not sure what the model is, they look like dominators, but have only one velcro strap instead of two. They're great, but the upper material doesn't look like it will be the most durable. I've ridden them since April, though, pretty hard, with lots of rock scrapes and so far so good, but they show the scrapes. The sole is super firm, which is very nice. If you want strong and ultra durable on the outside, this ain't the shoe, though.

_MK
    "No man goes before his time -- unless the boss leaves early."
    -- Marx, Groucho

Mt Wilson Motoboy

They're too tennis-shoe-ey!

I tried on a pair and they are kinda tall and kinda loose. Not real good for clipped in riding.(imho) Maybe good for more sketchy free ridey type stuff.
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]"My people are the people of the dessert!"
    said T.E. Lawrence picking up his fork...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/SIZE]

on a routine expedition
    Since I got the SixPack, I've been riding flats wearing the five.ten impact shoes. They are incredible. I almost don't notice I'm not clipped in. The sticky rubber soles really grip the pedals.

mtbr member
    i have a pair of the regular Radars that I wore around, as well as when riding my Imperial and DOC.

1) damn things are hotter than hell.

2) where the shoe naturally creases near the toe box from walking, the sole quickly pulls itself away from the uppers. i was kind of disappointed.

3) the sole on mine is pretty stiff, considering what it is (daily shoe). i was impressed. not sure if it's the same in the mtb shoe, though.

--edit--

what is up with the all-black ****? the new 5.10s are disgusting, and the black Radars....ugh. mine are the white/grey/red ones.

Well Biked
    Jun 2005

Shoe review

I have been using Pearl Izumi Vapors this year and they have been pretty good although I'd like to try the next model up. Has anyone tried the one with the "Boa" closure system?The rachet works well but not as good as the Sidis. The sole seems to be wearing fast, so I am wondering how much wear I will get out of them. The uppers wear nice and are really durable.

I really want to like my Sidis, but the sole replacement system that came with my last pair was horrible and the uppers get gouged up on your first ride. They never ripped through, but my Vapors still look fine after many rides. The Sidi also don't feel very supportive when walking on rocks-probably due to that flimsy upper. They get the nod for fit though. To bad they were not made tougher. They could be the perfect shoe.

Uhhhhh...
    Shimano DX clipless
    Fayetteville, AR and N.W.A RePrEsEnT

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by scepticshock
    I have been using Pearl Izumi Vapors this year and they have been pretty good although I'd like to try the next model up. Has anyone tried the one with the "Boa" closure system? The rachet works well but not as good as the Sidis.
    I have used the PI Vapors and the one with the Boa. Didn't really like either to tell the truth. Both caused some sort of gaping in some areas and pinching in others due to the odd and forced method of closure. It just seemed like PI wanted to set themselves apart from all other shoes and so went with some pretty weird designs. I personally really like Specialized Pro and Comp shoes. Stiff as all get out (I like that) decent tread, inexpensive (relatively, if you skip the carbon crap), and nicely contoured footbed. Shimano racing style shoes aren't bad either though they tend to be sort of heavy and cludgey. Not a big Sidi fan, myself. It is a very personal thing.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Sponsored by Xanax
    It's too bad Sidi hasn't gotten serious in the freeride shoe market. I ride XC and the Dominator has been my favorite shoe for years. You just can't beat the fit of a well-made Italian shoe. And Sidi has even extended their line for narrow and wide feet, but they've stuck to XC and road shoes...where they've done well. Why not extend the line?

I don't get it, because they also make motorcycle boots, but they've yet to embrace freeriders. The Dominators are just not tough enough for that kind of abuse.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Roostalee
    It's too bad Sidi hasn't gotten serious in the freeride shoe market.
    Let me guess, now we need to come up with some Turner Homer shoes too. Where will it all end??

Well Biked
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    I have used the PI Vapors and the one with the Boa. Didn't really like either to tell the truth. Both caused some sort of gaping in some areas and pinching in others due to the odd and forced method of closure. It just seemed like PI wanted to set themselves apart from all other shoes and so went with some pretty weird designs. I personally really like Specialized Pro and Comp shoes. Stiff as all get out (I like that) decent tread, inexpensive (relatively, if you skip the carbon crap), and nicely contoured footbed. Shimano racing style shoes aren't bad either though they tend to be sort of heavy and cludgey. Not a big Sidi fan, myself. It is a very personal thing.
    I'll have to give the Specialized a try next. I like the fact that they don't have the pointy toe box. Of course by then the homer Turner shoes may be out which will certainly combine the best features of all the top shoes.

No, that's not phonetic
    Order them from Specialized.com if you can't find a local retailer. They have a 30-day no questions asked return policy for fit and satisfaction even if you rode in them for that whole month. Don't bother with the carbon model which is way more expensive AND heavier. I have both the 04 Pro and 03 Comp (though I now see they have changed the names a little; the comp was a 3-velcro stap setup and the Pro was the ratchet: the Sport now has 3 straps and the Comp and Pro have ratchets) and like them both. The style with the 3 straps (now the Sport) is a very good and reasonably priced shoe.

The Body Geometry footbed thing can a love/hate affair. It cants your foot a bit to the outside (causes you to supinate). This may feel odd for the first few hours but now I really like it and "normal" bike shoes feel odd.
    Last edited by tscheezy; 07-13-2005 at 12:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripv
    Other ideas?
    I've been using the new Specialized Sawpit for the last month:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=10149

+ It is stif from the heel to where your toes begin, so you can both walk and bike in them.
    + It has protection for your ankle's, which is great!
    + It feels great on the foot.
    + It has a good sole for walking on rock, but watch out for stepping on rock with the SPD clip since that one don't have the same traction as the rest of the sole.
    + You can run it with SPD-clips or leave the sole over the holes for platform pedals.

Leg armour might rest nicely on the shoes, not slipping down. I don't have this issue with my Roach Rally FR armour.

- It is a tad warm in the 82+ degrees but not that bad. The lighter gray parts on top of the shoe is mesh and it breathes pretty well. Don't step in to deep puddles though...
    - The straps collect herbs as you go along. It's the end things on the straps that act like hooks, I think I'll cut mine off soon. I don't even notice it unless looking down but the joke is getting kinda' old
    - They look and are big. Having size 12 don't help much either
    Last edited by theTnT; 07-13-2005 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Cleaning.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

Built to Last
    Man,
    I must say, theres some funky looking shoe designs on this thread. Some of those shoe designs look like something cave man and batman would come up with for their Junior high school science project.

I must say, the 5.10 mountain shoes are sweet, the stealth rubber really does kick a$$. Mine are tattered and torn after 6 years, but the soles are still super super sticky.

check those out.

outclassed by his bike

Specialized Shoes and Eggs Don't Get Along

Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    the Sport now has 3 straps and the Comp and Pro have ratchets) and like them both. The style with the 3 straps (now the Sport) is a very good and reasonably priced shoe.
    I've been riding the Sport for a couple of years and the uppers have held up very well. They are also cool and drain pretty well after water hazards. However, they are not getting along well with my eggbeaters, which I got less than a year ago: A seriously deep groove has worn into the sole behind the cleat that is making the shoe-pedal connection too loose.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by theTnT
    I've been using the new Specialized Sawpit for the last month:

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=10149

+ It is stif from the heel to where your toes begin, so you can both walk and bike in them.
    + It has protection for your ankle's, which is great!
    + It feels great on the foot.
    + It has a good sole for walking on rock, but watch out for stepping on rock with the SPD clip since that one don't have the same traction as the rest of the sole.
    + You can run it with SPD-clips or leave the sole over the holes for platform pedals.

Leg armour might rest nicely on the shoes, not slipping down. I don't have this issue with my Roach Rally FR armour.

- It is a tad warm in the 82+ degrees but not that bad. The lighter gray parts on top of the shoe is mesh and it breathes pretty well. Don't step in to deep puddles though...
    - The straps collect herbs as you go along. It's the end things on the straps that act like hooks, I think I'll cut mine off soon. I don't even notice it unless looking down but the joke is getting kinda' old
    - They look and are big. Having size 12 don't help much either
    Now I gotta find a shop that carries those. These could be just what I was looking for provided they aren't too hot. By "big" do you mean bulky or heavy? or both? Regardless, this isn't the only place I've heard great things about the Specialized shoes... but switching would sure mess up the slew of matching PI logos I have on EVERYTHING else.

--rip

not so super...
    I was using the Specialized Comp Mtn shoe for a couple of years and liked them. They were comfortable, worked well and lasted for 2 years. last years colors/models are usually on sale from the Specialized site.

For clipping in my newest shoe is the Northwave Stealth. It is comfy, has a nice buckle closure, breath well but were quite spendy. I think they look the business too!

For flat pedal days I still have a pair of the Intense (5-10) DH shoes.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by SSINGA; 07-13-2005 at 11:27 AM.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ripv
    By "big" do you mean bulky or heavy? or both?
    Both, but it's not bad.

Try them, the only real criticism I can give is the fact a lot of vegetables get collected by the straps.

I've tried a few XC shoes[1] in the past and nothing comes close to these babies.

1. Shimano (W101 is still the best winter shoe), North Wave (don't fit my feet very well) and some other brands I don't remember.
    Regards,
    /Tobbe - In Mud We Thrust / Carpe Diem

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by qcanoe
    I've been riding the Sport for a couple of years and the uppers have held up very well. They are also cool and drain pretty well after water hazards. However, they are not getting along well with my eggbeaters, which I got less than a year ago: A seriously deep groove has worn into the sole behind the cleat that is making the shoe-pedal connection too loose.
    Yes, after you hike around a bit in them (especially over sandstone in Moab) the sole wears down and stiff footbed of the sole rest on the retension bars rather than the pedal body on the rubber part of the sole. I notice this with my Time shoes too. This was the case with my Shimanos too though. Any sole wear will cause this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSherpa
    Shimano DX clipless
    Ditto that.

Outcast
    This thread has been too serious for too long....

Okay, so function is important, but style is everything. After all, if you can't ride at the front, you might as well look like you belong there. I recommend a sexy, stylish pair of pumps. I think 'Zilla will like these; they're the right color.

May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade
    This thread has been too serious for too long....

Okay, so function is important, but style is everything. After all, if you can't ride at the front, you might as well look like you belong there. I recommend a sexy, stylish pair of pumps.
    I hear they are bad for your back though.... or maybe it was "best used while on your back"...

--rip

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast