mtbr member
    Jan 2013

shoe question. duel use shoes.

I live in Washington state and I am looking for a good duel purpose shoe that I can hike and bike with. I don't ride clipped in so that's not a factor. I was looking at adidas terrex swift r gtx cause there waterproof, light, and the sole dosent look to chunky to not work with flats. Are there any other brand of shoes out there that could work? I looked at mavics also but they don't look to flexible.

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrosey View Post
    I live in Washington state and I am looking for a good duel purpose shoe that I can hike and bike with. I don't ride clipped in so that's not a factor. I was looking at adidas terrex swift r gtx cause there waterproof, light, and the sole dosent look to chunky to not work with flats. Are there any other brand of shoes out there that could work? I looked at mavics also but they don't look to flexible.
    For "Dueling purpose" I prefer cowboy boots. For "dual purpose" it kind of depends on the ratio of ride to hike. If you're not concerned with clipping in, a dedicated light hiker from Merrell, Keen or Meindl (with a stiffer sole) might be a better choice. Bike specific I would also consider Salomon.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    "For "Dueling purpose" I prefer cowboy boots" I LOL'd

unrooted
    Most of Five Tens shoes could double as "Approach Shoes", which is fancy climber lingo for "hiking to the climbs" shoes. I would look at the Impact, they are very similar to the older Approach Shoes I used to use, and are considered a great flat pedal shoe, they also come in two heights:

Low: Five Ten Impact Low Shoe - Men's | Backcountry.com

High: Five Ten Impact High Men's Shoes | Backcountry.com
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i lol'ed too. ill check out the five tens i have owned a few pairs and there awesome.

mtbr member
    Yep, 5.10 fits the bill you want. I use the Freeriders, when they're toast for the bike, I resole the bottom and they live on as my work shoes (I'm a chef. And the rubber 5.10 uses is far superior to purpose made 'chef shoes').

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    Yep, 5.10 fits the bill you want. I use the Freeriders, when they're toast for the bike, I resole the bottom and they live on as my work shoes (I'm a chef. And the rubber 5.10 uses is far superior to purpose made 'chef shoes').
    How do you resole the bottom?

I too would like to find some shoes suitable for hiking and biking. Those Adidas Terrex look pretty nice but also look like they'd be hot in the summer with no ventilation. That's the problem I've had with hiking shoes in the past.