mtbr member
    Jan 2008

shoe modifications

I've been getting hung up clipping into my pedals- I'm running some S-Works XC shoes and thinking these Crank Brothers shims might help.
    Anyone tried these? Or do you just grind down the tread?

++ accessories, shoe shields :: crankbrothers.com ++

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I have the '10 s-works mountain shoes and have gone through two sets of those metal shoe protectors over the last 3 years. I swear by them though, would rather trash them than the carbon on my shoe. they helped with clipping in in terms of molded cleat clearance and eventually my molded cleats wore down enough that they weren't a problem.

They really make getting out of the pedal really easy, and they induce float much more freely. If you're having trouble getting into the cleats, could be something else is wrong?

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

shoe modifications

Quote Originally Posted by steve_s View Post
    I've been getting hung up clipping into my pedals- I'm running some S-Works XC shoes and thinking these Crank Brothers shims might help.
    Anyone tried these? Or do you just grind down the tread?

++ accessories, shoe shields :: crankbrothers.com ++
    The pedals come with plastic shims. Always better to shim the cleats than cut down the tread. As the tread wears you can remove shims to keep the spacing. Tougher to add to the tread.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Like shiggy said, skip ruining your shoes. Try moving the cleats side to side and see if you can get the clearance you need. Sometimes, rotating the cleat a degree or two will give more room around the tread as well. Good luck.

Edit:

Use a door frame to practice clipping in and out with each new position. Lastly, check the spring tension on the pedals. Often, if the tension is set too tight it is difficult to get into the clips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Thanks for the replies all. I've been riding with clipless pedals for a long time and I am fully comfortable with their general use. I'm more interested in any modifications riders are doing to their shoes or cleats to maximize the how quickly and efficiently they can get in and out of the pedals. Like if you need to clip in or out in a hurry for a tech section or a corner- and making the interface as smooth as possible. I feel like the depth and shape of the cleat pocket makes a difference here.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Listen! Some reference pics

Steve_s, what pedals are you using? I have zero issues clipping in/out on my candy 2ti, and on the mountain bike I'm running Mallets. MY tread can sometimes still cause dis/engagement problems from time to time, but it's easy to buy a new shim that would probably fix that.

As you can see in the pics, the metal shim is pretty well damaged, though I'll guarantee you the carbon underneath is nearly perfect, whereas on the other shoe, you can clearly see the same damage in the sole of the shoe. The black shoe is 99% used with the Candy's and the rest with the Mallet. The S-works shoe has at least 20k miles on it from Candy's, Smarty's, and Mallets yet the sole is mostly undamaged, save for a scratch here and there from missing.

shoe modifications-imag0119%5B1%5D.jpgshoe modifications-imag0120%5B1%5D.jpg
    Last edited by tuffguy; 01-10-2014 at 06:15 PM. Reason: grammar