Thread: Shoe care

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Shoe care

I have a pair of Bontrager shoes mode of a combination of what appears to be leather, nylon, and plastic soles. Any tips on how to get max life from them would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I would like to know the answer to this aswell since i just blew 200 bones on some shoes. Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Clean them when they get dirty for starters. Are you sure they are real leather? Most shoes are made of a synthetic material and don't require much maintenance. However, if your shoes are made of real leather, I would suggest rubbing mink oil or saddle soap into them. They will help protect them from water. Now if your shoes stink, literally, the best way to kill the smell is to put them in the frezzer overnight. The cold will kill all the bacteria that causes the odor. Obviously great for sneakers of any kind too.

mtbr member
    Soap, water, elbow-grease, for cleaning. Beeswax based sealant for leather and Shoe-goo for repairs. If you can't fix it yourself, take the shoes to your local cobbler.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Thanks for getting back to me.

No, I ASSumed they are leather based on the cost I guess They are the medium-grade Bontrager. Their web site makes no mention of leather.

Cool that freezing will kill bacteria. I will try that next time I have some smelly shoes.

Anyway, since my original post, I fell in a creek and soaked the shoes. I went ahead and rinsed them thoroughly with clean water (that was visibly NOT clean after being inside my shoes ) and they look and smell new now. They seem fairly waterproof. I'll add a little dish soap next time.

I also got some white shoe polish to clean & shine the "leather".

Good point on the cobbler. There are still a few around surprisingly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DennisF View Post
    Good point on the cobbler. There are still a few around surprisingly.
    There are many in my area of the world. I can name 5 within 3 miles of home, though my loyalty is with one farther away.

Also, worth mentioning: get a heavy duty mesh net laundry bag; remove cleats; and wash on normal cycle in the laundry machine. Just don't wash them with anything you like. I put mine in with a load of cleaning rags. Use borax, or an oxygenated cleaner to add a fresh sparkle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Freezing doesn't kill bacteria. You need to use heat (over 160 degrees F) or chemical means (bleach, hydrogen peroxide, maybe borax). Most hot tap water is only 120-140 degrees F, so that won't do it either.

Sunlight works fairly well because of the UV, so if you can pull out the insoles and leave them and the shoes in the sun for a few hours that would eliminate bacteria on the surfaces the light reaches. I do this all the time for my sandals because they quickly get stinky, but it wouldn't work quite as well for an enclosed shoe like bike shoes.
    Matt

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    You might want to check with your sig other/roomate/whoever before putting your stinky, dirty bike shoes in the freezer.... I'm not sure I'd want this stuff in my freezer, even if I put them in ziplock bags first...

MTB B'dos
    First up, most definitely your shoes do not have any leather in or on them, all synthetic. As to how to care for them...if they get wet dry them ASAP by scrunching up newspaper and pushing inside to absorb the water quickly and don't let it sit in there too long or it'll smell really bad. Other than that a quick wipe if they're really dirty or wash if that bad.

I've had my Bonti RL shoes for I think it's 4 years now, tonnes of soakings, mud, crap etc and they're still in pretty good shape, but did have to restick the soles once recently and the interior cloth lining is worn through. Looking to pick up a new pair sometime soon, thinking I might stick with them as the price and quality/$$$ factor seems pretty good, but may go for some Shimano's instead.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

FKA Malibu412
    Best way I know for riding shoe (any purpose built shoes/work shoes, actually) care and longevity is to flush them with water until the water is pretty much clear if the shoes are muddy, shake/wring them out to get most of the water out, then put them on a convection shoe drier. I store my shoes on the drier every use, even when just sweaty. They stay pretty much odor free and fresh with the above.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive