mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Shin Guard Suggestions

I ride platform pedals and am looking for some shin protection. Would prefer opinions from those who own shin guards - what do you like?

Not looking for a combo knee/shin guard, just a shin guard.

I live in Texas so it's warm/hot most of the year. Can't remember a time I wasn't wearing shorts when riding.

Thanks!
    2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite

mtbr member
    anytime I'm riding my flats I wear 661 Veggie shin guards. They are a little warm on summer rides but well worth it in my opinion. Aside from the dreaded pedal slip, they have been very useful saving my shins from the sage brush here in Nevada.

mtbr member
    I will likely end up with some fancy bike-specific guards, but I can't see a cheap soccer guard doing roughly the same thing for the time being?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    used sporting goods store or thrift shop. last ones I got were $1 I think. Don't know what sport they are for, but they are soft foamy, and work great.

Need More Bikes
    I ride in Houston and wear the EVS moto shin/knee guards I got from Cycle Gear. They're overkill, but the few times I've fallen I was glad to have them.

BILT Dirt Bike & ATV Gear - Charger Off-Road Knee Guards - Cycle Gear

They've been renamed it seems but the same ones I have. They get warm but I only notice them when I forget to put them on.

mtbr member
    are you hitting your shins with the pedal a lot? what shoes and pedals are you running?
    only asking because i haven't hit my shins ever since i started using a good platform pedal with a platform pedal specific shoe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    are you hitting your shins with the pedal a lot? what shoes and pedals are you running?
    only asking because i haven't hit my shins ever since i started using a good platform pedal with a platform pedal specific shoe.
    Right now I am using the garbage Wellgo platform pedals that Scott (or maybe the LBS) put on my Scale 29 Elite. And I am wearing tennis shoes, nothing bike-specific like Five Tens.

Warning - rant coming here...

WHY IS IT THAT WHEN YOU SPEND $1,500+ ON A NICE BIKE, THEY GIVE YOU CRAP PEDALS? SOME DECENT PLATFORMS WOULD SEEM MORE APPROPRIATE CONSIDEING THE CASH PLUNKED DOWN...

Okay, rant over. Sorry for that, but I feel better.

At some point I am going to invest in a clipless pedal/shoe combo, but until I have the money allotted I figure some shin protection may be warranted when I want to test/push myself.
    2012 Scott Scale 29 Elite

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Golf Nut View Post
    Right now I am using the garbage Wellgo platform pedals that Scott (or maybe the LBS) put on my Scale 29 Elite. And I am wearing tennis shoes, nothing bike-specific like Five Tens.

Warning - rant coming here...

WHY IS IT THAT WHEN YOU SPEND $1,500+ ON A NICE BIKE, THEY GIVE YOU CRAP PEDALS? SOME DECENT PLATFORMS WOULD SEEM MORE APPROPRIATE CONSIDEING THE CASH PLUNKED DOWN...

Okay, rant over. Sorry for that, but I feel better.

At some point I am going to invest in a clipless pedal/shoe combo, but until I have the money allotted I figure some shin protection may be warranted when I want to test/push myself.
    Nowadays many bikes (including high end) come without pedals.

Anyway, I just bought some 661 Evo shin pads, but haven't used them yet. They are more expensive than Veggies, but should be a bit more comfortable, and the fancy foam should provide a bit better protection in the front.