Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Shin gaurds with flats?

Ok so I've ridden clipless for the last 7 years or so and decided to try the Canfield crampon pedals with my new Nimble 9. I ride some pretty technical downs sometimes and like to hit some small jumps of 3-4 feet in height, nothing big.

I like the grip of the long spikes and they go well with my new 5.10's but if I ever DO slip off the pedals I'm in for a REALLY bad day. Those spikes on the Crampons will make my lower legs look like shark bait in an instant. Do you guys just trust in your pedals/skills or do you wear shin gaurds?

mtbr member
    Hi mate

I also use flats, shinguards all the time; tried some 661 kyle for some time and it was confy but one day i went down on a steep, really slooooow, a pedal spike cut my shin, 5 stitches and a nasty scar as a souvenir, still love flats though.

I use Fox launch pro for 5 years, time to buy some new ones....

beater
    I've ridden twenty6 pedals for years, and put Crampon Ultimates on my FS bike last summer. The Crampon pins are actually pretty blunt by comparison. I don't worry about it, and they've never cut me.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    After my answer rove showed me what not so sharp pins can do to my shin, YES, shin guards with flats.

Gumnut Peddler
    If I am riding on technical stuff I will wear shinguards with my flats. Not just because of the flats smashing my shins, but the chain ring biting my calf.
    Burning fat, not oil.

No Stranger to danger....
    I'll be different here, i dont think shin guards are needed at all, ive really only ever ridden flats, those being straitline defactos, they have long very thin and sharp pins, yes ive sliced my shins to the bone a few times, but it doesnt hurt when your riding and the adrenaline is pumping, shin guards suck big time, hot and cumbersome, i think the only protection worth using is protection to stop serious injury or death, a few slashes on the shins never hurt anybody...
    Man up or go home.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    I'll be different here, i dont think shin guards are needed at all, ive really only ever ridden flats, those being straitline defactos, they have long very thin and sharp pins, yes ive sliced my shins to the bone a few times, but it doesnt hurt when your riding and the adrenaline is pumping, shin guards suck big time, hot and cumbersome, i think the only protection worth using is protection to stop serious injury or death, a few slashes on the shins never hurt anybody...
    Man up or go home.....
    Tone's makes a good point.

Cuts and bruises heal
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Gumnut Peddler
    Man up or go home.....
    I have a leg sleeve, so not overly keen on hacking up my artwork
    Burning fat, not oil.

Quote Originally Posted by Grinderz View Post
    I have a leg sleeve, so not overly keen on hacking up my artwork
    LOL, fair enough, your excused for your tats,

Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Tone's makes a good point.

Cuts and bruises heal
    Jude, i understand why girls wear them, because you guys have loverly, soft, sexy and delicate legs, but guys are different, our legs are made for scares and carnage, shin pads are made for women and guys that shave there legs, (same thing really)......

Gnarly
    Jude, i understand why girls wear them, because you guys have loverly, soft, sexy and delicate legs, but guys are different, our legs are made for scares and carnage, shin pads are made for women and guys that shave there legs, (same thing really)......
    Tone's you understand women!
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    My crampons have bit me twice, neither time was that bad, more of a puncture than a cut. I do wear shin guards for DH though as they are part of my knee pads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I ride flats with 5-10's for all my riding, from xc to dh. If Im doing a gnarlier ride that warrants elbow pads/fullface, etc, then ill wear my knee/shin guards. If Im doing easier stuff I dont bother. Havent slammed my shin yet in the latter case.
    '14 rocky mountain altitude, rally edition
    '11 transition blindside

mtbr member
    I had some leftover bmx style UGP shinguards from when I was a teenager, so I wear them when I ride.

Thanks,
    Brian.

Sent from my iPhone4 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    if you kick a small palm tree with your shins until you kill the nerves, you wont need the shin guards after that.
    JCVD Palm Tree - YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by bigfruits View Post
    if you kick a small palm tree with your shins until you kill the nerves, you wont need the shin guards after that.
    JCVD Palm Tree - YouTube
    hahahaha, funny stuff bigfruits

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Somewhat related to pedal strikes on shins. Have any of you been riding flats and had the back of your ankle / calf been torn up? I never seem to notice it until the end of the ride and the damage is done. Wondering if there is any good way to prevent this.

mtbr member
    are you wearing 5.10 shoes? i was skeptical at first (used skate shoes) but have been wearing them for almost 2 yrs now and have had one slip because the sole of my shoe was covered in mud. no shin/calf strikes yet from slips.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Not as of now. I just purchased some new Patagonia Drifter A/C Gortex. The aren't the ideal shoes for flats, but they have a reinforced Vibram sole that is really tacky. Plus I do a lot of hike-a-bike and wanted something in the middle that would serve both purposes well. I will wait and see if these prevent more pedal slips this weekend and can eliminate scrapes.

inexperienced at large
    Apr 2011

Re: Shin gaurds with flats?

Shin guards... Ultimate embarrassment was when my straitline pedals slashed my right calf when I slipped. Though I wear 661 knee shin guards still. They're great. There are enough marks all over them that tell me how worthwhile they are each time I put them on.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I almost always wear long socks when I ride now. Originally, I got them because I kept getting small bouts of poison oak on my shins while riding my CX bike. Once I started wearing my shin guards, I started wearing them because the slightest amount or rock or dirt between the guards and my legs would drive me instantly insane. The best part though.. Is that they help out with any pedal vs calf encounters. Just having that little buffer or the socks seems to really help quite a bit.

Ow!
    I haven't used flats before, but I will soon--shoes and pedals are on their way. I will use some shin protection while I trying to learn how to use flats. When (if) it seems I am not having pedal to shin bashing events, I may stop using shin protection.

But I know me--there will be pedal to shin contact while I learn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Man up or go home.....
    Shin guards are good if you like walking your bike down technical sections, or avoiding drops or ramps, because that's all I see guys with shinguards do.

Shinguards are jewelry.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Shin guards absolutely for me with my Straitline's. I've been hacked up a few times when I wasn't using them with one being a huge hematoma and that was enough. I use the Six Six One Veggie guard (now discontinued) which goes on quick without shoe removal and the velcro wraps also protect the back of the calf. Really don't even notice they are there even in 90+ temps. Also is it just me or do shins take freaking forever to heal and usually leaving a scar as well?
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    Shin guards absolutely for me with my Straitline's. I've been hacked up a few times when I wasn't using them with one being a huge hematoma and that was enough. I use the Six Six One Veggie guard (now discontinued) which goes on quick without shoe removal and the velcro wraps also protect the back of the calf. Really don't even notice they are there even in 90+ temps. Also is it just me or do shins take freaking forever to heal and usually leaving a scar as well?
    Pricepoint has 661 EVO shins on sale for $35.
    Last edited by fsrxc; 02-17-2013 at 09:29 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast