mtbr member

Shimano MW81 or Diadora Polaris?

Gotta keep my tootsies warm this winter.
    Looking for feedback from folks who own either or both of these shoes.
    My feet are kinda narrow and Shimano shoes have always fit me in the past.
    So, how do these 2 fit, how warm, how are they to walk in, how do they last etc.
    Thanks for your input and Merry Christmas.
    Lenny

mtbr member
    Bueller?
    Bueller?
    Come on guys.
    I've used the search function and found no direct comparisons between the 2.
    Even if you've just owned one of these, could you let me know how you liked them?
    Thanks,
    Lenny

Helmetless Crasher
    Like the Shimanos.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    I have run the MW81s for the last year and a half and love them. Warm,waterproof, and comfortable. I wear them year round.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I got the Diadora Polaris for Christmas and have had 2 rides. The temps were between 28-32 degrees during the rides. My feet have stayed warm and the shoes so far have kept out the little bit of water the I have gone through. I have only worn normal crew length socks and haven't tried think or wool socks. So far I am loving them. I got a size bigger than normal and they are a little big. I probably could have gotten the same size as normal. I would recommend them.

mtbr member
    I just got a pair of the Diadora Polaris shoes yesterday. I ordered them from Performance and they didn't have my usual size but they had the next size up, so I got those. However, they are a little too big even with thick wool socks so I'm not sure yet if they will work for me. But they appear very well made, claim to be waterproof, and have a grippy rubber sole.

I also ordered the Louis Garneau 0 Ergo Grip shoes to check out. They are basically just a regular mtb shoe with a built in neoprene bootie on top. They might work ok, but the sole is hard plastic instead of rubber which IMO is a bad idea for snow and ice. I bought my girlfriend a pair of the Northwave Celsius shoes and they are probably slightly nicer than the Diadoras, but with a sole that is soft plastic; sort of inbetween the Polaris and 0 Ergo Grip. I would have bought those for myself but they were not available in my size.

I also checked out the Mavic Drift shoe but question the waterproof-ness since it is not a true high top shoe and the upper neoprene cuff does not appear to seal around the tongue of the shoe very well, but they are gore-tex and have grippy rubber soles.

I was not able to find the Shimano shoes at any local shops or online in my size so I was not able to check them out.

Helmetless Crasher
    Went for a 1 hr snowy/slushy street ride yesterday in my Shimano's. Slushy snow was falling pretty heavily. It built up on the tops of the shoes. At the end of the ride, my feet were quite wet. I think the neoprene ankle area became saturated and water wicked into the shoes via my socks.

Over the past year, when riding through multiple water crossings on my usual trail system, my feet have never gotten wet with these shoes.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Bought the Mavic drifts. Doing okay keeping feet warm on 3 x 1hr rides in 25-35 degree DRY weather. With just cotton socks. Have yet to get them out in precip though.
    Bandersnatch

mtbr member
    Looking at this thread, it appears a few people had just bought the Diadora Polaris shoes and were just starting to use them. Any updates on how they are working out, with more miles on them? I've been debating on getting a pair, but would like to hear a bit more about them, if possible.

mtbr member