banned

Shimano M221 vs M225 shoes

Anybody tried both the Shimano M221 and the newer M225 shoes? Any major differences? Which is the better option IYO? Theres only $10 difference between the two.
    Thinking of getting either one after my M180s have bee reduced to shait. Thnx

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Ive got the 225 and really love them. I couldnt stand the way the 180's felt. The 225 fit like a glove and are really stiff. SO for my feet they work out great!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbox
    Ive got the 225 and really love them. I couldnt stand the way the 180's felt. The 225 fit like a glove and are really stiff. SO for my feet they work out great!
    Hi there, What exactly didnt you like about the 180s? I like them although part of the reason they desintegrated on my was they were a size too small,they were uncomfortable as hell until the mesh just on the front sides ripped to accomodate my big toes.

Maybe understanding what you didnt like about these will help me figure out if the 225 will be a better choice than the 221 (the latter and the 180 are pretty similar).

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jaco
    Anybody tried both the Shimano M221 and the newer M225 shoes? Any major differences? Which is the better option IYO? Theres only $10 difference between the two.
    Thinking of getting either one after my M180s have bee reduced to shait. Thnx
    The 225's conform to more feet types better. I have both and the 221's are made out of a really durable material that does NOT stretch, so if they don't fit at first they aren't gonna get much better. The 225's on the other hand use a synthetic leather on the inside of the shoe that stretches to fit different feet better.
    "Do not touch the trim"

XC Racing Daddy
    Feb 2004
    Ive gotta say the 225's are the most comfortable shoes ever.......standing up. Try to walk and its impossible with the stiff sole. My heel kept coming out of the shoe because the sole wouldnt give a fraction. I ended up with Dominator 5's which flexed a tad, very comfy!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Dad
    Ive gotta say the 225's are the most comfortable shoes ever.......standing up. Try to walk and its impossible with the stiff sole. My heel kept coming out of the shoe because the sole wouldnt give a fraction. I ended up with Dominator 5's which flexed a tad, very comfy!
    Actually that's why I hate Sidi's. I can feel the loss of efficiency with that flexible sole and it makes my arches hurt. They also fall apart WAY to quickly. I race cross in my Shimano's and you just have to modify your running style a bit.
    "Do not touch the trim"

banned
    got the 225s and im so glad. got em at 150 shipping included at jenson. they are super comfy and look like they will last longer than the 180s. hopefully this will be the case.