mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Selle Italia SLK

Mods, please move this thred where appropriate if this subforum is not the right place, I've found no saddle discussion subforum so posting in what seems to be the closest branch to the topic.

So, there is a saddle called Selle Italia SLK Gel Flow. It's said to be very light (which is true) and comfortable (which seems to be an utter lie by Selle). The description goes like "gel padded, very comfortable". OK, first of all, I'd like to know where the actual gel is, since there seems to be none of it The bones hit the hard plastic directly, without any kind of padding at all! Now could someone please tell me, this is called a professional sports saddle. Is professional sports a synonym of masochism?

The other thing is, I've bought this saddle at planet x bikes uk. They were selling it at half the price ($40 vs $80). Does that mean that the stock of those saddles could have been compromised in a way - like the gel has all dried out since it was too old? Anybody ever come across cheats at planet x bikes uk?

I'm looking forward to posting it back from Russia

Thank you for the answers!

AZ
    banned
    Cheats? Are you serious? PlanetX is solid. Saddles are very personal and results vary wildly from user to user. I suggest that you either edit your OP or delete this in its entirety.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well unless a mod says so

Either the description is bad or the saddle is bad, I fail to see any gel in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    But, yeah, I'm not saying they cheat, I'm asking if anything like getting rid of old stock which is in bad condition is common to them. If you say it's impossible, then it must be the product itself. I.e. I'm looking to understand if the product is faulty by definition or this exact sample of the product is bad.

lamer
    I ride an SLK on my road bike and love it. My previous rode bike, which was stolen, had an older non-gel SLK, and I actually liked that more than its replacement gel version. The saddle fits my sit bones very well, and so I find it very comfortable. When I commute to work I don't wear padded cycling shorts, and it still doesn't give me any problems. I would venture a guess that it might be a little too wide or narrow for you if it's uncomfortable, or maybe you might not be sitting far back enough for it to properly support your bones. You might want to look into Specialized or Ergon saddles that come in varying widths. I don't think the SLK is sold anymore, but I'm thinking that whatever material that they label as "gel" probably won't go bad.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Selle Italia SLK Lady Special Edition Saddle / Manganese Rails / Black

This is the one I got, the section names is "Selle Italia 2012" so I guess this is the newer gel version?

OK, thank you for the hint, will try moving back a bit.

What I'm not getting at all is why the saddle hurts the ones that much, is it supposed to be like that? Doesn't the gel help that at all?

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWiseNuthatch View Post
    But, yeah, I'm not saying they cheat, I'm asking if anything like getting rid of old stock which is in bad condition is common to them. If you say it's impossible, then it must be the product itself. I.e. I'm looking to understand if the product is faulty by definition or this exact sample of the product is bad.
    Theres no way they are getting rid of bad stock, and the bike shop only copies the selle italia discription.
    Plenty of shops sell stuff at half price, i just bought a selle italia max flow gel for 80 bucks reduced from 200 from CRC, gel padding is often very thin, if you dont like it send it back and by another saddle, calling the shop cheats cause you picked a saddle not right for your needs isnt great form on your behalf.
    And while your at it google the saddle and put review after it, this might have saved you some drama, cheers
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Dude, hate to break it to you, but, uh, it looks like you bought a Woman's saddle... If so, that would explain why it hurts you to use it... Although not readily apparent sometimes at first glance, mens and women's saddles are designed differently as we are a bit different down in that region...