mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Selecting the right bike helmet.....

There appears to be 2 styles of bike helmets. Can someone tell me which one is better for biking. The black helmet style is an all-purpose style helmet. Recommended for biking, bmx, skateboarding, etc. The blue helmet is recommended for biking.

I like the styling of the black helmet. I don't really care for fancy designs or anything like that.

My question is would the black helmet style provide the same protection as the blue style one.

Or is there a helmet model for biking only but without all the fancy curves, etc.

And one more thing. I couldn't find anything on the net for this. But how do you know when a bike helmet is fitted properly. Someone told me that when wearing your helmet, you should have 2 fingers between the top of the helmet and your eyebrows. Not sure if that's true. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Look for a helmet that is ANSI approved. If you want the style of the black helmet, that cool, but if you go on long rides you won't get much ventilation to your bean. All a matter of personal preference I suppose.

MTB B'dos
    Both helmets will work, personally I would consder wearing the BMX/skate style helmet myself except for the fact that the ventilation is seriously lacking and your head gets very hot on XC rides. Ventilation to me is very key to having an enjoyable ride. If you feel you're all right with the lack of ventilation that the skate/BMX style helmet provides then go for it. Fit wise I'd say that when on the helmet should not easily wobble around on your head - should fit fairly snug/tight.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Like others pointed out the skate style helmet will have less ventilation. Not a bad thing in the winter. There are a lot of cycling type helmets that are less fancy than the example you showed, which is downright gay.

Helmet fit is whether is goes on your head reasonably comfortably and doesn't bounce around. The chin strap is just there to keep it from being knocked off in a crash, not to hold it on.

Ron

mtbr member

I have both

I would not wear the lid style (black one) today on a long ride as i would sweat too much (90), but for short rides or riding in cooler temps, it is ok. Most of the time i use a GenX (blue one) The ventilation is good.

Rick

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Thanks to all for the advice. After taking into consideration all your feedback I think I found the helmet. It's going to be the Bell Metro in Matte Black which matches my bike or the Bell Citi in bright yellow so people can see me coming. I'll try and find a dealer here in town that sells them.

From a visual perspective, which one looks cooler? Not that that should matter but I guess in some strange way it does.

Oh yeah, the Metro model costs $25 more.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by fretman; 07-31-2005 at 04:37 PM.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Cool, schmool
    If the thing doesn't fit right, its not going to protect your head. Try some different brands on to check and compare. Giro's fit my noggin better than the different Bells I've tried on.
    A quick Google found this:
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/people/outr...met/page2.html
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    The black one is for full-head coverage but offers little ventilation. The blue one offers good coverage but not as much as the black and the holes and design are designed to get air over your head to cool you off. If you ride XC like me get the blue one (Giro and Bell are the best IMO) if you want to do tricks, bmx, skate, etc, get the black one.

Who cares what it looks like as long as it does it's job?
    XC: keep you cool, provides decent coverage
    trick: keep you protected from all possible angles

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Lucky you - there are plenty of steals on quality helmets on the web. However, make sure you try some of them out before you order one. What I do is I go to my area bike shops and try the different helmets they have. When I find one that I like, I scour around for a good deal on it, whether it's from an actual shop or from the web.

You'll know a good helmet after you've tried a few. Some will seem to almost wrap your head in comfort. Others might have what I call 'pinch points' where it seems like certain points inside the helmet are pushing uncomfortably against your skull. What is important is that what's favored by one rider may not work for you and vice versa. Thankfully, I've found my dream helmet. Unfortunately, it's also one that costs a ton. And that's why I don't mind continuing to experiment with different helmets so that I don't only have one helmet in the universe that'll fit me.

As for the two helmet styles, there's a time and place for everything. If you like that BMX-style bucket, you should be able to have fun with that in the winter time, when cooling vents are less of a concern. I know that's what I tend to break mine out. During the spring, summer and fall months, I used the other ventilated helmet.

It might not be a bad idea to get both helmets. That way you have a back-up helmet should you crash and break one. Personally, I have 4 helmets and I rotate between most of them regularly. I also have peace of mind that if I were to smash one up like I did recently, I'll lose no ride time (barring any injuries) due to something as silly as not having a helmet on hand.

MTB B'dos
    Quote Originally Posted by fretman
    Thanks to all for the advice. After taking into consideration all your feedback I think I found the helmet. It's going to be the Bell Metro in Matte Black which matches my bike or the Bell Citi in bright yellow so people can see me coming. I'll try and find a dealer here in town that sells them.

From a visual perspective, which one looks cooler? Not that that should matter but I guess in some strange way it does.

Oh yeah, the Metro model costs $25 more.
    The Metro version costs more because it's a commuter helmet that comes with a ton of stuff you would use while commuting and features to easily add other stuff. The other helmet is basically the same w/out all the fancy stuff. Make sure as suggested you actually go into a store or 2 and try on the different helmets and see which fit and which don't - Bell's are more of an oval shape, while Giro is a rounder shape.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics