mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Roadie getting back to mountain roots

I am a long time mountain biker that got into road bike racing for a quite a few years. I got used to wearing the tighter spandex mountain biking because it never got in the way. I used to wear baggies but constantly was snagging it on stuff while throwing the bike around. Anyone have any recommendations for some snugger/streamlined baggie stuff that I could wear over my bib shorts? I'm still too much a fan of the quality of chamois from my road stuff but would like some looser fitting stuff because sometimes I just want to ride with the guys and not look like a racer type. I'm open to any brand suggestions.

-Cheers

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I got some Zoic shorts, at the REI spring sale last year. They're not too baggy, or too tight, and look more like MTB shorts. They have a lot of pockets and a removable padded liner, which was nice when I wore them over padded tights during the cold months. I'll probably pick up more of their shorts this year.

ZOIC Clothing- Mountain Bike Clothing and Accessories for Men, Women and Kids

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Have a pair of North Face shorts from Jenson that I really like. They are not especially baggy. They wear more like normal shorts with a chammy liner underneath.

I usually don't wear straight lycra road shorts on the trails after I tore a nice pair of knickers when I caught a tree branch. Those sorts of things just kind of slide off the North Face shorts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Welcome back! Bellwether Ultralights fit pretty close for a baggy short. Can see one here: Bellwether Ultralight Short Black MD | eBay

They have become my main MTBing short.
    “Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike.” ~ John F. Kennedy

Over the Hill
    I'm like you, getting back into mtb after many years off and all road riding. I love my high quality road clothing and simply wear it while mtbiking. Zippered jerseys and base layers let me regulate heat and road shorts and tights are more comfortable and performance oriented. I don't care what anybody thinks of me and my motto is 'Function before Fashion'.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    +1 for Zoic shorts. I picked up a pair of the Ether shorts back in the early fall and they're pretty spot on. Padded liner is nice, good amount of pockets, not super baggy or long. They fall right at the middle of my knees. They've held up to a few crashes as well with no rips or damage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Club Mud View Post
    I'm like you, getting back into mtb after many years off and all road riding. I love my high quality road clothing and simply wear it while mtbiking. Zippered jerseys and base layers let me regulate heat and road shorts and tights are more comfortable and performance oriented. I don't care what anybody thinks of me and my motto is 'Function before Fashion'.
    I still use road jerseys on the trail, too. But I have one MTB jersey (Ritchey Yahoo! like Frischknecht wore in the 1990s), and it is noticeably more heavy duty than my road jerseys. Same goes for the shorts - my mountain bike shorts stand up to snags and falls better than my road shorts.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I found some Gore Bike Wear shorts on the clearance rack at my LBS. They're super nice, but spendy. $120 msrp. If you ever see them on sale, in your size, they're worth getting.
    Justin
    Salt Lake City
    2012 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 29
    2006 Specialized Allez Expert Double