Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004

New question here. Road vs MTB helmet question

Is there a differance, or it is more of manufaturer label. Seems like road helmets have more vents(something i would really like for summer). But would that make it weaker in the event of a wreck? Not getting many hours at work so i have alot of time to ponder, which is where this question came from. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    A search of this site will reveal numerous threads on this topic. To summarize, road helmets typically have more but smaller vents, better at higher speeds. MTB helmets have fewer but larger vents, better at lower speeds. For what it's worth I wear a Bell Xray for on and off road, mainly because it fits my melon the best and fit is the most important criteria.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Since roadies...

Quote Originally Posted by SandmanLJS
    Is there a differance, or it is more of manufaturer label. Seems like road helmets have more vents(something i would really like for summer). But would that make it weaker in the event of a wreck? Not getting many hours at work so i have alot of time to ponder, which is where this question came from. Thanks.
    can and do travel at consistently higher rates of speed and have to contend with vicious automobiles and pavement then I don't suppose you could even begin to think it's weaker than an mtb helmet. Pretty sure they have the same safety rating. I'd buy the one that's most comfortable.
    Last edited by fred3; 04-15-2005 at 10:00 AM.

1946:2006:2066

a Giro Atmos anecdote

Last year, at the beginning of the summer, I decided to dust off my road bike and spend
    some time on-road. I have a Giro E2 but never really liked it. Sits too high. Sprung the
    big bucks for an Atmos. Coming home one July evening, along the laneway behind our
    house, an old fashioned storm sewer sucked in my front wheel causing one hell of an endo.
    One major concussion, a broken pelvis, fractured ribs and four months to heel I was cleared
    to ride again. I considered replacing the Atmos under Giro's crash replacement program
    but decided to wait to see what 2005's prices would. My GF has a Pneumo and I liked
    the fit of it better than the Atmos. Surprise, surprise, the 2005 Pneumo was the same
    price as a crash replacement Atmos. Now have a very pretty red, white and grey Pneumo.

Decided to run a little test with the Atmos. Took it out into the laneway and layed it on the
    concrete, top up. Took a standard building brick and, standing back about three feet,
    I threw the brick into the top of the helmet. The brick bounced about six feet into the air,
    almost hitting me. The helmet bounced about three feet. The only damaged appeared to
    be a broken head restraint plastic piece. So I tried it again. This time the brick didn't
    bounce. The helmet caved in with massive damage on the inside.

Moral of the story.

All helmets are one hit wonders, some might be two hit wonders, but why take the chance.

OH, about the crash...yea...I had a brain-fade...wasn't paying attention.

Edit:
    To answer the original question, high-end road helmets will take a much heavier hit
    since most have an inner roll cage molded into the foam with some having carbon
    reinforcements across the ribs, like the Atmos. Both help distribute the impact.

michael
    Last edited by mrdy; 04-15-2005 at 10:54 AM.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

tlg
    (enter witty phrase here)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdy
    Decided to run a little test with Atmos. Took it out into the laneway and layed it on theconcrete, top up. Took a standard building brick and, standing back about three feet,I threw the brick into the top of the helmet. The brick bounced about six feet into the air, almost hitting me. The helmet bounced about three feet. The only damaged appeared to be a broken head restraint plastic piece. So I tried it again. This time the brick didn't bounce. The helmet caved in with massive damage on the inside.
    Cool test. Not very scientific. But definately makes you wonder. If I ever land hard on my helmet, I'll be thinking about bricks before wearing it again!

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    That is an awesome test, i might have to do that when new helmet time comes.

Didnt think about the car factor with the roadie helmets, makes a lot of sense.
    I guess ill just go on what fits better, and how my lights fit i guess. Thanks for the im put guys!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SandmanLJS
    Not much difference these days, get one that fits.
    Older mtb helmets used to have huge peaks which limited vision on roadie position. Big visors also strained neck because they were basically air brakes on your helmet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here's a little more scientific method for testing helmets http://www.cpsc.gov/businfo/regsumbicyclehelmets.pdf
    All bicycle helmets must pass these tests if they are to be sold in the US. Road, MTB, makes no difference. There is little significant difference in crash protection between road and MTB helmets. The biggest differences may come in the areas of coverage (some MTB helmets cover more of the head, especially in back), larger MTB style vents actually mean there's a better chance that a stick or some other thin object could puncture your head through a vent and the shape of helmets can contribute to whiplash style injuries (smooth helmets slide on the ground, especially pavement, easier than helmets that have alot of sharp angles). For a fairly objective look at helmets go here http://www.helmets.org/

1946:2006:2066

not very scientific, but I was impressed...

I hit the ground hard enough to break my pelvis. I was knocked out for at least 90 seconds.
    Imagine what would have happened if I wasn't wearing a helmet. Yes, a cheaper helmet
    would have saved me but I was interested in how strong the Atmos really was.

Imagine riding the TDF, crashing, and havinging to continue. You want a helmet that is a
    greater-than-one hit wonder. High-end road helmets are that. But at the end of the race
    you find a new helmet. Granted, most in the TDF don't have to buy their helmets. Same
    goes for MTB. Race, buy the best you can afford. Weekend warrior, relax, buy what fits.
    A sloppy fitting helmet is as dangerous as no helmet. And if you take a hard hit, replace it.

Sorry guys. Helmets have saved my life more than once. From cars, to motorbikes, to bicycles.

I'm not hard core by any means. But I never leave home without my helmet!

michael
    Last edited by mrdy; 04-15-2005 at 05:05 PM.
    "Be not afraid of going slowly but only of standing still." - Chinese Proverb

Reformed car junkie
    Sep 2004
    Thanks for all the good info guys! meloh1ill deffentally check out those links.
    I would never concider getting on a bike without a helmet(save for going from my door to my car to put the bike on the car). I might get a roadie helmet for commuting, sense ill be on the road on a road bike( a fixie but a road frame)
    Thanks again.