mtbr member

road shoes for mtn

does anyone here use road shoes on their mtn bikes? i just put cleats on my road shoes(specialized s-works road) that will work on my commuter and mtn bikes,since i switched to egg beaters on every bike i own, and a thinking ill use them in a few races, i think ive seen a few pro do this havent i?

should save some rotating weight on the feet.

parts leftover
    Just the opposite. I use mountain shoes with eggbeaters on my mountain and road bikes because I can put my foot down on pavement at a stoplight without fear of slipping. I like a bit of tread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schlim
    Just the opposite. I use mountain shoes with eggbeaters on my mountain and road bikes because I can put my foot down on pavement at a stoplight without fear of slipping. I like a bit of tread.

track stand that!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand/of/Midas
    track stand that!
    Can you track stand with a freewheel? I can stand on my fixie, but never was able to do that with my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Some pros do it, I know I've seen Fuglsang do it. If you need a little thread you can cut up an old tyre and glue it to your shoes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Yeah, use the breaks.. I've ordered a pair of DMT Kyoma that I'll put eggbeater cleats on. Hope to shawe some grams compared to the DTM Watts

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Can you track stand with a freewheel? I can stand on my fixie, but never was able to do that with my mountain bike.
    With a little practice it's easy....especially if there is a crown built into the road to let you roll forward/backward.

Some people have told me it's a useless skill, but I find it helpful on the trails and with balance.

Ride Responsibly
    When mountain biking you will have to walk or even "hike a bike" at some point, your rode shoes will not make that a good experience. Spend enough you can get light Mt Bike shoes, right?

mtbr member
    yeah, I agree with the general sentiment here that road shoes aren't the best for mtn but it depends on your own preference and use.

I often walk around town in mtn shoes and road shoes generally are too slippery. I like mtn shoes with a lot of rubbery treads for traction if I dismount.

It does seem like the ultra high end mtn shoes approach road shoe design. I can't stand my sidi dominators - I've nearly fallen on my a$$ a number of times on wet surfaces and slip off my pedals often due to their plasticy soles.

cmh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by civil
    Some people have told me it's a useless skill, but I find it helpful on the trails and with balance.
    Totally disagree that it's a useless skill, but maybe that's just because I can do it. Having low speed stability skills have come in handy more times than I can recall. Sure, sure, if I was going faster it wouldn't be a problem, blah, blah, blah...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright
    When mountain biking you will have to walk or even "hike a bike" at some point, your rode shoes will not make that a good experience. Spend enough you can get light Mt Bike shoes, right?

ive got nice carbon mtn shoes too that i normally ride in(ive got 4-5 pairs?) But im talking racing here, ive never had to do too much hiking during races.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    One of the guys I used to ride with used road shoes with some old MTB tire glued to the bottom for grip.
    Worked fine for him but he did it because he was too cheap/broke to buy MTB shoes, not because they were lighter.

Jerry12
    I use road shoes, kinda hard to go through muddy situations, but I love them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Slobberdoggy
    yeah, I agree with the general sentiment here that road shoes aren't the best for mtn but it depends on your own preference and use.

I often walk around town in mtn shoes and road shoes generally are too slippery. I like mtn shoes with a lot of rubbery treads for traction if I dismount.

It does seem like the ultra high end mtn shoes approach road shoe design. I can't stand my sidi dominators - I've nearly fallen on my a$$ a number of times on wet surfaces and slip off my pedals often due to their plasticy soles.
    Of course. But here in Norway, and specially marathon, there are severall races there are no need for "hike a bike". But like I said, I have the DMT Watts for the difficult trails Wouldn't recommend to have just a pair of road shoes.

Members who have read this thread: 0