Cold. Blue. Steel.

Rigid Forks(x) + Hands(y) = What Gloves(z)? (x-post/SS)

I am looking for input on protection for my digits; yes, I would like to know what gloves make you guys and gals happy while zinging along the trails for hours on end. I prefer full finger gloves, and am currently running Jones H-bars with cork grips on my rigid Waltworks 29" SS.

I would love to hear from everyone, but I am especially interested in feedback from my fellow rigid fork riding comrads. If you want to chime in about your bar and grip choice, that would be awesome as well.

Thanks in advance (from Rosey Palmer, too! )
    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Kill your... television
    I have to put props to Specialized gloves. They got those nice palm pads that are really comfy. I rode my last pair for like 4 years... so, they are pretty durable.

Moto
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

dirty hippy mountainbiker

soft rubber

I'm doing OK with the oury soft rubber grips and full finger gloves with no padding.

BUT I'm thinking of using some nice gell bar tape and wrapping it with a couple of strips cut short across the top for extra padding. I figure put all the padding on the bar and run padless gloves. That would probably work well with your H bar.

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by OneGearGuy
    I am looking for input on protection for my digits; yes, I would like to know what gloves make you guys and gals happy while zinging along the trails for hours on end. I prefer full finger gloves, and am currently running Jones H-bars with cork grips on my rigid Waltworks 29" SS.

I would love to hear from everyone, but I am especially interested in feedback from my fellow rigid fork riding comrads. If you want to chime in about your bar and grip choice, that would be awesome as well.

Thanks in advance (from Rosey Palmer, too! )
    OGG
    I've used various Fox, Lake durango's, and specialized enduro or something along those lines and also some short finger specialzied roadie gloves that have gel inserts in 3 spots.

For me - i don't like fox gloves because they wear out really fast and while I like the specialized because it seems the ulnar pad they put in really does help the velcro doesn't stick very well. the lake's are by far my favorite because they are durable, have really nice grips on the palm and fingers and are also cooler than the others i've tried. the roadie gloves were great but the gel made gripping a bit more difficult plus I would get friction in the thumb area when grinding up long climbs.

if you are looking for a pair that reduces the fricition I can't help ya there. All were equal in that regards with perhaps the specialized being a tiny bit better than the others. Either go slower or use suspension I choose option B and don't miss the rigid at all besides the weight since the reba works so well with the poploc.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    i run a carbon bar, and softer grips(cane creek lock ons) than i used to use(ultra thin odi lock ons),

ive gone through specialized-padding seemed too thick to me, my everyday gloves are axo rajis which i really like, but they have worn through in about 4 places in about a year, and have almost no padding, and my favorites are some light winter gloves from rei, only they are too hot for the summer, although i still ride them if i know i'm going for a longer ride. i'm replacing my rajis pretty soon though, and my lbs has more of those and the specialized gloves...hope that helps some...
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    i've been using the specialized --comfy enough..wore a hole in the thumb area though(maybe i should have taken them off when looking at those dirty pictures).all right no really- saw the newer ones out and they have an extra leather piece in the thumb area....so be sure you get the newer ones if that is your choice. the small bike store still has the old ones in stock --while the teched out store had the new ones-so buyer beware. velcro is a little weak but i do like the gloves. don't seem as bulky and heavy as some. will most likely replace with the new ones at some point or see if i can have a leather piece sewn in....

mtbr member

I prefer to ride

bareback, err, barehanded whenever I can. When it's super hot I ride with thin, full finger gloves - helps slippery hands.

I ride ODI Rogues on my SS - rigid or suspended.
    Professional Amateur. Disagree? Submit your grievances here.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    i just went to my LBS because ncjo1 doesn't seem to have gloves in his tagline for sale. What's up with that ncjo1, no gloves, c'mon...anyway, i tried a bunch on and walked out of the store with the axo rajis like i already have...
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

Who turned out the lights
    Moots ti bars, Oury grips, Mechanix brand gloves - yeah, the ones from the auto parts store. They last a hell of a lot longer than most bike gloves, and they aren't as hot as you might think. And you can use them for trail maintenance days also. I got tired of paying $35-40 for bike gloves that never last, and I don't like thick gel inserts, b/c it makes the heel of my hand roll around too much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

mech. gloves

Quote Originally Posted by Francis Buxton
    Moots ti bars, Oury grips, Mechanix brand gloves - yeah, the ones from the auto parts store. They last a hell of a lot longer than most bike gloves, and they aren't as hot as you might think. And you can use them for trail maintenance days also. I got tired of paying $35-40 for bike gloves that never last, and I don't like thick gel inserts, b/c it makes the heel of my hand roll around too much.
    ride a KELLY with a Vicious fork
    carbon bar and odi ruffian grips
    check out http://www.duluthtrading.com/items/66912+SM.asp
    these are grey and black, thin, durable, terry thumb, and the natural curve thing is no gimic. and $14.00
    they run a little small !!
    jim

Harmonius Wrench

Ergon Grips

I use the Ergon grip. It has a wider platform shaped to fit into your hand, which spreads out the pressure point over a much wider area. They have revolutionized my riding, no more numbness in the hands! I don't know how they would work on an H-Bar, though. I'd like to try it. By the way, my bar is an old Titec 118 Ti bar.

Category Winner

Hate to pic up an old thread

I found these gloves today. I picked up a pair for the TR. They seem very coosh. I will give them a whirl at the ORAMM if you want to see them OGG. Specialized makes a heavier padded glove called the TRX. I wanted to pick them both up, but I wasn't prepared to throw down $60 on gloves in one day. Besides, most rides I can get away with less padding. The Ridge is a very ventilated summer only glove.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I found these gloves today. I picked up a pair for the TR. They seem very coosh. I will give them a whirl at the ORAMM if you want to see them OGG. Specialized makes a heavier padded glove called the TRX. I wanted to pick them both up, but I wasn't prepared to throw down $60 on gloves in one day. Besides, most rides I can get away with less padding. The Ridge is a very ventilated summer only glove.
    Thanks for chiming in, TD. I think threads with pertinent info are never really old; just helpful. I will go to my local Specy dealer to check those out. They really seem like a good combo of protection/padding without being a "winter" glove. Looking forward to shaking your gloved or ungloved hand and finally meeting at the ORAMM!

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

zeebot
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    Those have the same insides and closure as the Specialized I have. I like them a lot only the velcro tends to not stick but will eventually. when i really twist the wrist hard sometimes they still pop open.

Category Winner

I haven't tried it...

Quote Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou
    Those have the same insides and closure as the Specialized I have. I like them a lot only the velcro tends to not stick but will eventually. when i really twist the wrist hard sometimes they still pop open.
    but supposedly take a hair dryer on high heat to the velcro. It will curl the little ends back into place. I read it somewhere.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.