Cold. Blue. Steel.

Rigid Forks(x) + Hands(y) = What Gloves(z)?

I am looking for input on protection for my digits; yes, I would like to know what gloves make you guys and gals happy while zinging along the trails for hours on end. I prefer full finger gloves, and am currently running Jones H-bars with cork grips on my rigid Waltworks 29" SS.

I would love to hear from everyone, but I am especially interested in feedback from my fellow rigid fork riding comrads. If you want to chime in about your bar and grip choice, that would be awesome as well.

Thanks in advance (from Rosey Palmer, too! )
    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

pepito
    Jun 2004
    my hands are happiest when they're wrapped in a pair of these. unfortunately, the pair i own is a colder weather version, so my hands aren't too happy right now in this heat/humidity. but as far as comfort goes, the body geometry gloves have been the best at keeping my hands and ulnar nerve happy!

the_dude
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling" ~James E. Starrs

mtbr member

its like a construction worker

I could best describe it as being a new construction worker, You grab a shovel for the first time and for a week or so you got blisters, then eventually your hands get calloused. Not as drastic with riding rigid but eventually gurly hands turn into man hands.

I buy whatevers on sale. Right now I got some fox full fingure gloves, not to much padding. I have seen gloves with an ample of amount of padding and I want to say some were gel filled, but to much $$$ for me. Plus the girls like to be rubbed down with sand paper hands

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I ride an IRO highlander with a kona p2 fork, which i would think would have slightly less give than yours. The gloves that have made the biggest difference, and also looking damn cool, are the skelton gloves by northwave. A little expensive at 40 bucks, but worth it to me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vcuwhiteguy; 07-21-2005 at 08:47 AM.

brother on a mission
    I use cushy Oury grips and some older Pearl Izumi fingerless gloves or long fingered Mechanix gloves. I have noticed that my palms are a little sore after a 3+ hour ride, but nothing that is unbearable.

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    This happened after the first week of owning my Jones H-bars. (It's mounted to a KMonkey w/ rigid fork.) After that race I took off the corkies and glued on some Oury grips. I also went to a smaller glove size (from medium to small) and now I don't have any more problems. The palm stays tight, and there's no bunching of material. Oh yeah, the ones I use now are Fox Sidewinder.

I love the Jones bars and much prefer them over straight bars nowadays.
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

brother on a mission
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil
    This happened after the first week of owning my Jones H-bars. (It's mounted to a KMonkey w/ rigid fork.)

Ouch!

mtbr member
    Stock Jones Bars with his grips and Fox Incline full fingers. The Pearl Izumi's are bad news IMHO. Too much crap going on in the palms with all the GEL nonsense.

mtbr member
    IMHO I think that the gloves make the least amount of difference. I think the front tire, fork, grip and bar make much more of a difference, in that order. As long as the gloves fit right, I don't think it matters too much. I usually buy gloves that fit a bit snug in the store, as they will stretch over time. The exception to that is gel gloves, which I think make no sense. The gel just squishes to the side wherever the most pressure is anyway. I am currently running a 2.5 Weirwolf, Kelly rigid fork, some kind of Lizard Skin lock-on grips, a Titec Ti stem and an Airborne Ti bar. I have been very happy with this setup, a few callouses at the beginning, but no problems since. My gloves are a pair of Race Face and a pair of Pearl Izumi's, I don't notice any difference!

Mark

Cold. Blue. Steel.

Great input so far!

Thanks for all the great input.
    My problem has been mostly due to friction between grip, glove and hand. I don't feel like I need to get more padding- just less friction. I will look into very snug gloves and maybe some cush grips, like Oury's or something. The shape of the cork grip and the lack of a "sticky" grip compound may be "aiding" in the hot feeling coming into my palms when descending fast, bumpy stuff. I attribute the hot friction as the main cause of my blisters.
    I don't have "girly" hands but I prefer not to have bloody hands, either.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

Des(s)ert Rat
    My girly hands prefer long fingered Fox gloves (Digit model, I think). I have callouses that would make a manacurist cringe, but they build up and protect my hands. I did, however, get bruises on my hands from the 18 Hours of Fruita while my team mate did not, chalk it up to her suspension fork...

Fox Digits here, too. I use 'em for downhilling too, although I would like to get a pair with the carbon knuckle pads for that. Really not much padding in the palm, but enough for my setup (I ride a P2 fork, Easton Carbon Bars, and a 2.5 Weirwolf up front). Don't forget about the tires, you can get a lot of cush out of the right setup running a lower pressure.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Yep. Ritchey fork and 2.5 tires up front (with big ol' knobs). It helps a lot! I'm on my second pair of digits, wore a hole through the first pair. The only problem is the lack of terry cloth. What's a girl to do when she needs to wipe her nose after the farmer's blow?

Des(s)ert Rat
    Gutterbrains... Sheesh, try to help a fellow ss'er out and, well, look what happens.

I think I'll stay out of any seat post or saddle threads...

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    Too... many... jokes... Head... going... to... implode!!!
    MWUAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA!
    I didn't catch it at first...
    Spinning and Grinning...

Sofa King We Todd Did
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    ...What's a girl to do when she needs to wipe her nose after the farmer's blow?
    Too... many... jokes... Head... going... to... implode!!!

Reviewer/Tester
    Fox Digits and ODI Rogue lock-ons = no sore hands for me.

[ ...ummm, tell me screampint, what does a girl do then? lolz. ]

R.
    It is inevitable ...

mtbr member
    I prefer none.
    However, I keep a pair of Mechanix gloves in my fanny pack incase the need for gloves arrises for some reason.
    -Marshall Hance
    EndlessBikeCo.

resident crackpot
    I am an avid advocate of Oury grips. In my mind, they make a huge difference, especially when new. I know lots of people don't like how 'fat' they feel, but fat grips or fat gloves, what's the difference? I am currently using a very weathered pair of some Specialized gloves, I have no idea what model. They have a gel/Spenco pad on the heel portion of the palm that keeps the Carpal Tunnel happy...although, it could be positioned a lot better. Why don't they ever ask us? I know that the Ironman brandname gloves (I think the web site is that name, I really don't remember) have Carpal Tunnel relief padding, right in the heel of the palm. I have Carpal Tunnel problems from working in factories over the last two decades and am quite sensitive about the gloves I buy. I really wanted to buy some Grandoe gloves, with the Carpal relief padding, but they don't have a style I like...maybe I'll just hafta suffer and buy/wear ugly, half-fingered gloves. If'n I were a design-type person, I would make grips from the Spenco type gel padding, only stiffer...I smell royalties already...hehehe

Des(s)ert Rat
    Said in Scarlet O'Hara voice:

Well! I just can't believe that you men would take my post in such a way. I'm so embarassed and humiliated! To think, I thought you all were such fine gentlemen. I have to go now, my well-heeled eyes can't take the vulgarity any longer!
    [size=1]*Ya know, I could edit, but I think I'll let my original post stand for entertainment's sake.[/size]

resident crackpot
    Last edited by loonyOne; 07-21-2005 at 08:14 PM. Reason: double post

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

digits and rouges

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman
    Fox Digits and ODI Rogue lock-ons = no sore hands for me.

[ ...ummm, tell me screampint, what does a girl do then? lolz. ]

R.
    I run that set up also, but not all my bikes have the lockons yet, but they will when they need to be replaced, I also get the longer lengh bmx grips with flanges. I also have a pair of race face gloves which work ok, pretty minimalist for a full finger, Also have a pair of the FF specialized, but they are a little hot this time of year, a little more padding, but it doesn't bother me, like some gel gloves I've tried which felt worse then going bare handed.

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint
    Said in Scarlet O'Hara voice:

[size=1]*Ya know, I could edit, but I think I'll let my original post stand for entertainment's sake.[/size]
    Thanks for making me smile!
    Your posts are the greatest.

OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

College
    Jun 2004
    http://www.mechanix.com/motorsports.asp

There are a prodigious amount of people using these in a trials board i visit.

Myself, i use sidewinders, but don't like the feeling much. The previous gloves i've worn were much better at protecting my hands, but they left my fingers exposed and i wanted a full finger. I think the reasonn is the fox sidewinders dont have much padding on the areas wherre callouses occur. Right under my ring finger digit there are callouses on both hands now after i've switched. Before my old gloves had these gel pad things there which helped alot, and my hands were so much happier then.
    Last edited by b12yan88; 07-22-2005 at 10:52 AM.