Thread: Riding Gear!

mtbr member
    May 2013

Riding Gear!

Good evening,
    I am somewhat of a new rider, I have very little riding gear. I have a helmet, gloves (finger less), and a borrowed pair of shoes and pedals. My wife is wondering what I would like for Christmas, She is thinking of getting me mountain bike gear, but I do not know what to tell her. I was hoping all of you could give some ideas. I plan on riding a couple of races next year, I live in northern Michigan, it can get cold here. My last race of the year will be the Iceman challenge, which is the beginning of November. First race in May, which could be cooler.

I look online stop in stores but it can be overwhelming at times, with all of the options. I don't want to spend a ton of money on gear. It seems it could get expensive if you were to buy for every type of weather out there. Please let me know what you all think where are some good web sites for riding gear?

Thank you
    -Ksch97

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Jensonusa and competitive cyclist are 2 website that comes to mind. Both sites have sales going on right now. If you are getting bike specific shorts shoot for one with an included liner (saves you some cash). As for jerseys, I normally wear non bike specific ones. Champion from Target, any under armour on sale. As long as it's moisture wicking and it fits. I would also recomend a pair of full finger gloves, just in case. If you are using flat pedals, a good pair of platform pedals and good shoes would be a good investment. Hope it helps!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Right now I am riding with clip less pedals and shoes, I like them it took some getting use too. I forgot to mention I have a pair of shorts, But could always use another pair. I didn't think about other shirts, I will look online. at target. It does help thank you for your help and suggestions.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Pearl Izumi's US site actually does a pretty good job of laying out all the various features of each piece of clothing. Open up multiple browser tabs for the clothes that interest you and see how they are different. With that you can pick out which ones will work for you.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ksch97 View Post
    Good evening,

. It seems it could get expensive if you were to buy for every type of weather out there.

Thank you
    -Ksch97

It can, I try to be very strategic in my purchases. I tend to buy pieces that can mix and match and be layered. I wear the same basic kit year around, but just more or less of it depending on the temps. You will need two pair of gloves (hot and cold), and a pair of tights, long pants etc to throw on under your outer shorts or over your chamois. Some good wool socks are crucial when it gets cold. I really need to cover my ears year around or it gives me terrible stabbing pain, so I use a buff or one of those headbands that cover your ears. You will also want a hat to put under the helmet for cold days.
    I try to keep everything thin and breathable, yet moisture wicking and packable. Your comfort level and the ambient temperature can vary greatly over an afternoon ride, so having options readily available to peel off or add a layer greatly helps me enjoy my ride.

Rain gear is a different story, I just try not to ride in the rain much.