Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    kona-tize me captain

replacing a helmet???

i took a big crash straight into a rock last weekend, and i know companies say after u crash on ur helmet u should get a new one, cuzz all the fome could be compressed. leaving it unsafe. im curious on how many people actaully do this?
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

ouch
    Most people I know with XC helmets follow that procedure. Most people I know with full face helmets retire them after a few really good whacks.

high school loser
    i've taken some really really hard hits on my fullface and kept riden with it, but now after probley 5 good hits im thinken its a good idea to get a new one. i mean y not, its your head...
    [SIZE=5]member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]"we kill zombies dead"[/SIZE]

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by nobody242424
    i've taken some really really hard hits on my fullface and kept riden with it, but now after probley 5 good hits im thinken its a good idea to get a new one. i mean y not, its your head...

hahaha yeah i would to at the stage ur at, i was just curious, cuzz some of my freinds that ride sport bikes say if they drop theres they have to get them replaced qick, and i just didnt know if it was as strict with biking helmets.(mines is a full face)
    Looking for a 7.87 x 2.25mm shock, any brand any age that runs well!! cheap would be appreciated!

mtbr member
    if it's cracked or broken, soon. after a couple of good hits or every 2 years it would be a good idea to replace it.

Glad to Be Alive
    lets just put it this way.....the foam absorbs the impact...after a big impact it is very important for you to replace the helmet because there is nothing left to absorb the shock.

basically you just have a shell protecting your head and no padding after a hit....replace the helmet even if there are no cracks. If your bell is rung pretty good then replace especially a concussion
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    lets just put it this way.....the foam absorbs the impact...after a big impact it is very important for you to replace the helmet because there is nothing left to absorb the shock.

basically you just have a shell protecting your head and no padding after a hit....replace the helmet even if there are no cracks. If your bell is rung pretty good then replace especially a concussion

ok SMT cuzz i know u ride with a 661 full bravo carbon correct? mainly becuase everytime somone asks a helmet question u and i always recommend it. but have u ever replaced urs becuase of a crash, or several crashes?

mtbr member
    ok well when i broke my XC helmet i got pissed even though there was more damage done to me. anyways i emailed bell (maker of my helmet) and they said they would inspect the helmet and charge me a 20 dollar fee to replace my 60-80 dollar helmet. so if you broke your helmet try emailing the company and see if you can score your same helmet for less. i never paid the 20 cause i needed a helmet to use for an upcoming ride. also you might be able to upgrade you just have to ask.

Juanjo
    Personaly I think is BS that think of changing the helmet every crash... WTF man... I'll need a new helmet every week... , BS... use ur helmet untill ur head can't take it anymore .
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ \m/>-<\m/ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Jesus loves you ............. Everyone else thinks your an A$$hole .

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by austinb89
    ok SMT cuzz i know u ride with a 661 full bravo carbon correct? mainly becuase everytime somone asks a helmet question u and i always recommend it. but have u ever replaced urs becuase of a crash, or several crashes?

on my 3 rd one...also went through 2 azonic helmets...the helmet always looks fine on the outside but the inside the foam is damaged.

One of myazonics was split very bad
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoastHucker
    Personaly I think is BS that think of changing the helmet every crash... WTF man... I'll need a new helmet every week... , BS... use ur helmet untill ur head can't take it anymore .
    just rolling the dice till danger......it is not the outside but the inside of the helmet that protects you

mtbr member
    I was in the market for a full face helmet and everyone I talked to said get a Motorcross helmet so I did. I got a Troy Lee Design Hot Rod for a ton of money ($425) but I need a helmet that would work for riding a street bike too. I figured instead of buying two cheaper helmets I would buy one high-end helmet. The guy at the helmet shop said that TLD helmet could take pretty much whatever a mountain bike crash I could walk away from without ruining the helmet. He did say that if the helmet was crack or internal damaged the helmet was shot but he said that he had taken plenty of spills off his motorcross bike and not ruined his. After reading the posts here I was wondering what you guys thought of the info given to me by the motorcross guy?

high school loser
    hahaha yeah i would to at the stage ur at, i was just curious, cuzz some of my freinds that ride sport bikes say if they drop theres they have to get them replaced qick, and i just didnt know if it was as strict with biking helmets.(mines is a full face)
    ya my dad ride sport bikes and races cars and thats what he says too. but i think those helmets are designed a little dif. like the mountain bike and motocross helmets are made to stand up to repeated hits. made to last longer cause when you fall on a mountain bike or moto most likely yer gonna get back up and keep goin. but when you fall off a sportbike or crash yer car and hit yer head you aint gettin back on teh bike. so their designed to take on good hit and then be replaced. so the rules for sport bike dont really apply as much to mountain bike helmets. just my 2 cents.
    [SIZE=5]member of the ZombiEKilleRSquadron[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]"we kill zombies dead"[/SIZE]

98% of all teens do drugs or have tried them, if you are in the 98% range, copy and paste this in to your signature

Glad to Be Alive

ouch
    Motocross helmets are designed for just that...yeah, the helmets are approved for higher speeds/higher impact, but if the helmet is damaged, you're out 5 bills. Those guys take fewer spills, but they can be much worse, hence the ratings.

rockin the mid-west
    what fullface do you have? because some companies have crash replacement. if your using 661 just call them up tell them that you crashed and you should get a new fullface.
    [SIZE="4"]PUNK FOR LIFE[/SIZE]
    freeride & Down hill for life
    Companies I support
    E-13
    Shimano
    Maxxis
    EBC
    Marzocchi
    SIXSIXONE
    Specialized
    Arrow Racing
    Truvativ
    W.O.R.B.A. supporter
    I.M.B.A. supporter

Disco-Superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by madtownfreerider
    what fullface do you have? because some companies have crash replacement. if your using 661 just call them up tell them that you crashed and you should get a new fullface.
    For free or at a discount? I dont think it should be free thats kinda ripping the company off... I am getting a new 661 full bravo... Good thing to hear they care about thier customers...
    Jake
    Yeti 303 WC 25th

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Moody
    Didn't you read the sticker on that shock? It said not to do whatever you did.

kona-tize me captain
    i have the 661 full bravo carbon, but im pretty sure u just get ur helmet for a discount, not free. if it is freee i will be very happy.

Glad to Be Alive

plus cash...you turn in your helmet and give some money

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by noxx
    I. The guy at the helmet shop said that TLD helmet could take pretty much whatever a mountain bike crash I could walk away from without ruining the helmet. He did say that if the helmet was crack or internal damaged the helmet was shot but he said that he had taken plenty of spills off his motorcross bike and not ruined his. ?
    motocross guy doesn't know what he is talking about...it is true the helmet will take bigger hits (rated that way for motorcycles and faster speed) But if you take a good crash on the Moto helmet it is worthless too.

Repeat information.....the shell protects you from hard objects. The styrofoam on the inside absorbs the force of the hit. Once the styrofoam absorbs the hit the helmet is worthless. No matter how it looks on the outside. Mine had a little scratch on the outside and the styrofoam was crushed after a bad spill. Also replacing a helmet at the most 2 years is important too. After time the styrofoam starts to "weather" . I would recommend replacing your helmet after each bell randg or every year and a half

Drugstore Trailrider
    You leave the impression that they replace them for free. 661 does have a crash replacement policy, and I recently used it to replace my 661 Full Bravo Carbon, but it costs 50% of their retail, so I paid $90.

I did not think that was unreasonable, since as has been thoroughly discussed above they say straight up that the helmet is no longer reliable after a really hard crash, and it is designed that way.

John W.
    Body Armor--Don't Leave Home Without It!

kona-tize me captain
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    motocross guy doesn't know what he is talking about...it is true the helmet will take bigger hits (rated that way for motorcycles and faster speed) But if you take a good crash on the Moto helmet it is worthless too.

Repeat information.....the shell protects you from hard objects. The styrofoam on the inside absorbs the force of the hit. Once the styrofoam absorbs the hit the helmet is worthless. No matter how it looks on the outside. Mine had a little scratch on the outside and the styrofoam was crushed after a bad spill. Also replacing a helmet at the most 2 years is important too. After time the styrofoam starts to "weather" . I would recommend replacing your helmet after each bell randg or every year and a half

can u tell that the styrofoam has actaully compressed if u took it out off ur helmet just by looking at it?

ouch
    can u tell that the styrofoam has actaully compressed if u took it out off ur helmet just by looking at it?
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the indentations/patterns in the foam will flatten and smooth out when compressed. It's almost impossible to compress the foam from every angle, so there WILL be inconsistencies in the look of the foam and possibly an obvious indentation.

Glad to Be Alive
    no, mine was after we took it apart at 661

i should be working
    SMT knows what he's talking about here. crash=replace helmet because the foam is damaged.

if you are young then have your mother split the cost or have her buy you saftey gear. mom's are suckers for saftey gear purchases. if you have a decent job then you probably have a $2K bike, so spend the money and protect the noggen.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast