mtbr member

Replacement V-brake shoes ?

I ride a 2004 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, (rim brakes), as I am dissatisfied with the standard "Shimano" V-brake shoes, I will be trying new ones.

Shoe requirement: threaded post.

I have researched past threads (with limited results to my satisfaction), on "Kool Stop Eagle Claw II", (as these are the ones I am planning to try) as well as "Aivid 20R Performance Shoes" and "Kool Stop MTB dual compound shoes" (black/salmon).

My primary riding is XC, with techinical single track.

I am asking for other MTB riders opinions on the above listed brands, or any other suggestions of good shoes to use.

Yes,...one day I will up-grade and switch to hydraulic disc, but for now, rim brakes are what I have.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls input.

Live long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Good job! Kool stop or ritchey

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' DirtDawg
    I ride a 2004 Specialized Rockhopper Comp, (rim brakes), as I am dissatisfied with the standard "Shimano" V-brake shoes, I will be trying new ones.

Shoe requirement: threaded post.

I have researched past threads (with limited results to my satisfaction), on "Kool Stop Eagle Claw II", (as these are the ones I am planning to try) as well as "Aivid 20R Performance Shoes" and "Kool Stop MTB dual compound shoes" (black/salmon).

My primary riding is XC, with techinical single track.

I am asking for other MTB riders opinions on the above listed brands, or any other suggestions of good shoes to use.

Yes,...one day I will up-grade and switch to hydraulic disc, but for now, rim brakes are what I have.

Thanks in advance for ya'lls input.

Live long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg
    The kool stop and ritchey pads are good, if you ride in wet conditions, get the red ritchey or dual compound or red kool stops, black pads work alright in the summer or in dry conditions. Almost anything is better than a set of shimano rim brake pads!!! I've also tried WTB razor blades and they also work fine. Ritchey and kool stop pads are the best as far as I have tried. PS they probably won't last as long a shimano pads, but that is because they actually work.

mtbr member
    single1x1,...

Thanks for your suggestions, they were very much appreciated.

I have decided to go with Kool Stop MTB dual compound pads.

Thanks again,...^5

Live Long,...Ride Hard

Ol' DirtDawg

ahb
    zoip.
    Apr 2005
    i believe the ritchey's are actually manufactured by kool stop. the ritchey post-mounts on my cyclocross bike are actually kool-stops.

my next set is going to be a pair of the salmon-colored kool stops. they're supposed to be the best.