mtbr member
    Jul 2010

removable (w/o taking shoes off) knee pads?

i know that race face makes some, anyone know of or seen any others? thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the Lizard skins softcell knee (only) pads, got them exactly for the reason you stated. It is a strap/loop setup that can indeed be put on without taking off shoes. I don't think they make them anymore (only the knee/shin combo), but a quick search found some on ebay and also on a tool website of all places (and cheap). I am 6' 185 lbs, the adult LG/XL fit perfectly.
    Knee Pad Guard - Work, Mounatin Biking, Body Armor Protection

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would not recommend the Fox Launch for the specific purpose of having pads that do not require shoes to be removed because you can not fit your foot through the top section without untying the top straps and those are b* to fit back into the slots when worn. I take my shoe off in order to not pull the top section off just to avoid having to take my gloves off and awkwardly manage my lack of dexterity, which is required if I dare to don then with shoes on.

Other than this one thing I feel the Fox Launch pads are amazing for what they are and hopefully Alias or someone else can comment on this issue as I may be a rare case. For reference I wear 10.5 Five Ten Impact shoes

mtbr member
    I use Asics brand volleyball pads for work and riding(Lots of on the floor work in a body shop) and while they are not strap on, they have enough stretch to fit over most non-boot shoes and still stay in place. They are soft-shell memory foam but I will say they hold up about 2 months of 12 hr days on gravel or concrete floors which is wicked on pads. A lot less sweaty than my hard shell pads too.

Asics Slider Volleyball Knee Pads | Volleyball Central
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Art.C View Post
    I would not recommend the Fox Launch for the specific purpose of having pads that do not require shoes to be removed because you can not fit your foot through the top section without untying the top straps and those are b* to fit back into the slots when worn. I take my shoe off in order to not pull the top section off just to avoid having to take my gloves off and awkwardly manage my lack of dexterity, which is required if I dare to don then with shoes on.

Other than this one thing I feel the Fox Launch pads are amazing for what they are and hopefully Alias or someone else can comment on this issue as I may be a rare case. For reference I wear 10.5 Five Ten Impact shoes
    Dunno if you have a different model from me but you could wear size 25 knee high boots and get the Fox Launch's off with them on. The straps disconnect in multiple ways. They velcro in to place and snap into place. You can disconnect the snaps and pull the pads straight off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    These are a gravity oriented pad, coming soon to TLD https://www.troyleedesigns.com/products/1289-02

beater

removable (w/o taking shoes off) knee pads?

Quote Originally Posted by Art.C View Post

Are you sure you're using them correctly? The strap attachments snap in pretty easily in my experience. I wish I had bought the short version, though. The shin guards are too long for me to pedal comfortably.

I keep reading good reviews of the RF Ambush pads, and would like to try them.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Delirious Tuck
    I'm into my third season with the Ambush knees. Love them for DH and Trail. Can ride all day in them on trail pedaling, or at Whistler.

Will look at TLDs this year as an option for DH.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    You gotta check out the 7iDP product from the folks at Royal Racing!I think it will be available this Summer. Makes the rest seem like garbage... Seven | Intelligent Design Protection | Launching Eurobike 28.08.13/Interbike 18.09.13