Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    KVW
    Law abiding citizen

New question here. Regular bike helmet with an added light weight chin guard?

Anyone have any suggestions for a lightweight, more airy version of a mtb full face helmet? I own a Giro Remedy and a Bell Drop and they're just a hot mess when riding during the summers, especially on climbs.

I'm looking for these more airy, lightweight versions of helmets like so:

Anyone have something like above they love? Something that doesn't cost your first born and is easily purchased online?
    "Single track is for pansies!
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

SamIAm
    nope. i like my teeth. and i wouldnt trust one of those past the climb up.

but thats why they make backpacks that u can strap ur helmet to.

urge makes an "enduro" FF helmet. but its not super cheap. and think about it, is your brain cheap? or your teeth?

DOT helmets are over rated but there is a reason that those flimsy half face helmets are not popular. inadequate protection.

sorry if its not the answer u were looking for but you are asking the wrong questions.

even if your poor dont you think your brain bucket deserves something that will actually work?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    Quote Originally Posted by SamL3227 View Post
    nope. i like my teeth. and i wouldnt trust one of those past the climb up.

but thats why they make backpacks that u can strap ur helmet to.

urge makes an "enduro" FF helmet. but its not super cheap. and think about it, is your brain cheap? or your teeth?

DOT helmets are over rated but there is a reason that those flimsy half face helmets are not popular. inadequate protection.

sorry if its not the answer u were looking for but you are asking the wrong questions.

even if your poor dont you think your brain bucket deserves something that will actually work?
    While that's a valid argument, it would amaze me to find that there isn't at least SOME alternative that's decent while knowing it's not going to protect *as well* as a heavier helmet.

Here take a look at this video at the 3:35 mark. This professional rider reviews 3 helmets and ultimately recommends something exactly what I'm looking for:

Untitled on Vimeo

While I fully agree protection isn't something you should compromise with, it's been my experience that when something is uncomfortable, over time you'll find yourself just not wearing it and that's when you crash. At the very least, it's more than just your basic dome helmet which you see 99% of people using these days.
    I blast down a mountain once, and in my wake, lies a new single track for the rest of you."-sm

SamIAm
    the 3rd helmet in middle at 3:57 mark is exactly what i mentioned.

the main problem with the helmets you provided pics for is that they dont attach to your noggin as well as a FF styled helmet. without any type of cheek padding or anything the front bar will impact whatever and then it will just impact your face. it might dissipate the force slightly but the whole point of the face bar is to keep that from actually happening.

that third helmet will be your best bet out of anything on the market IMO.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    the 3rd helmet in middle at 3:57 mark is exactly what i mentioned.

the main problem with the helmets you provided pics for is that they dont attach to your noggin as well as a FF styled helmet. without any type of cheek padding or anything the front bar will impact whatever and then it will just impact your face. it might dissipate the force slightly but the whole point of the face bar is to keep that from actually happening.

that third helmet will be your best bet out of anything on the market IMO.
    Oh Ok I see what you're saying. The helmets above are just too damn light weight with no padding. So the million dollar question is, wtf helmet is that and where can i buy it?

SamIAm
    indeed. because you can clearly see the cheek padding is still there and with the lower back coverage the helmet connects better to your head.

archienduro

that their website. ive heard they are hard to find in the states right now tho.

and btw. thats the BEST instructional video out there.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

KVW
    Law abiding citizen
    indeed. because you can clearly see the cheek padding is still there and with the lower back coverage the helmet connects better to your head.

archienduro

that their website. ive heard they are hard to find in the states right now tho.

and btw. thats the BEST instructional video out there.

Appreciate the link and advice Sam. Going to look in to sourcing that helmet somehow. And yah I downloaded that video to my phone so i can reference it and practice those techniques on the trail. I'm still a puss in the corners and jumps though, lol, I don't know how he feels so confident to rail those corners at such a high speed in that video.

BTW: Holy crap! That helmet is NOT cheap!!!
    archi-enduro | Buy Now at ChainReactionCycles.com

SamIAm
    flat highspeed cornering is hard to get a handle on. tires make a big difference as well. try to find an even ground surface that you can practice on. over and over and over again. then some more. both sides.

some tires need to be leaned over more than other to really bite. ie wtb weirwolf. that tire especially will handle like complete poo if its not leaned over enough. its alot of fun when you can find the sweet spot because you can slide all over the place till you lean it over(huge disadvantage if the trail is tight and cant position bike correctly tho)

and yeah. helmets are expensive. and if you smack one hard your gonna have to get another. buuuut better than trying to get a new brain right?
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm also looking for a lightweight full face helmet, and am currently leaning towards the POC Cortex Flow Helmet. Even though it's twice my budget, it seems to have universally awesome reviews, and it's designed as a multi-impact helmet, so maybe it will be cheaper in the long run. And it looks like I would be able to use my hydration pack while it's on, so if it's as cool as people say, it would meet all my requirements and I would actually wear it.

I can't post links yet, but you should be able to copy and paste this URL into your browser:
    pocsports.com/en/product/1220/cortex-flow

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Helmet Recommendadtion

Honestly guys take it from someone that is paying the price for not wearing the proper gear. First let me state I am an avid rider and racer which excells at cross country and downhill.

Recently on a passive Sunday I went out for a x-country ride which contained your minor tree skinnies and drops. While riding in my basic styrofoam x-country brain bucket I went over the bars.

After three CAT scans, a banged up jaw and three broken teeth I will survive and recover but my pearly whites will never be the same.

If you think it will never ever happen to you, you my friend are a fool. I own two FF helemets. A Kali carbon and specialized and both were at home because this was just a simple easy cruzer ride. I have ridden the area of the accident many times without issue. It was just one of those days, a stick in the spoke, a rock dab, whatever. Well now i'll pay for the rest of my life.

If I could do it again I would gladly sweat my butt off in order to keep my face and teeth.

I wish more manufactures made FF x-counttry helmets. My recommendadtion is to get a quality FF helmet and be happy when you fall that your in one piece. Still, keep looking for a better vented or lighter helemt but never ever skimp on safety. Get a quality bucket and wear it till you find something better. Never shop by price on safety gear. Your body parts are worth more than a few hundred dollars. The helemts identified in the previous posts are fardly what I would call quality. Look for ANSI stanards or similiar at a minimum.

re member
    I just recently purchased a Archie-Enduro, and I absolutely love it.

I live in Alabama and in the dog days of summer when it's pushing 100 degrees @ 90-95% humididty, I don't know if I will be able to wear it in those conditions or not. I have ridden in it recently while it was close to 85 degrees, and it was surprisingly not too hot to wear. But, the humidity isn't here yet.

Honestly, it feels every bit as safe to me as my specialized deviant, but soo much easier to wear. The chin bar is lower than a regular FF, so you can breath in fresh air easily. And, it's much lighter.

I could only wear the deviant on the coolest days, but this one I am hoping to be able to wear year-round.
    Rocktoberfest 2014 edit here
    Rocktoberfest 2014 clips here

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I went over the bars last year and I was hardly moving. I just caught a rock wrong with my front, crossed up and over I went. My first thought was as the top of my head was bouncing on the rocks was man I am glad I have a helmet on. After shaking it off and limping out I thought back on the crash. I was so lucky I did not hit my face as it was totally exposed. That got me thinking... I should wear a FF to protect my teeth/chin/nose. I started looking around and saw a range of ideas. From full on almost motorcross helmet (to hot to heavy) to the MET Parachute (Pictured in original post). I asked this same thing last year and got a lot of flame about go Remedy style or don't bother. My issue is heat. I bought a Remedy and love it and find it fine to wear so far. Sept through April so far. That is winter and much cooler and actually was nice. A friend had a Giro Switchblade to try on our 80 deg day and it was amazing how cooler my head was.

My last ride ave speed was 7.2 and top speed in a fun smooth slalom down hill was 16. I know these are not intended for full on down hill racing but they seem a nice cross between XC and downhill. Money is not a factor as my face/brain is worth it. I just want somethinin frontnt of me in a low speed over the bar. If I was going to whistler it would be the Remedy for sure.

I know they stopped making the Switchblbecauseuase I am sure people were using it as a DH and it was not designed for high speed impacts. Pumping through the woods seems different? Thoughts?

Ow!
    I always keep in mind to dress for the crash, not the ride. For most of my riding (XC, trail, whatever), I wear a MET Parachute for those slow crashes I seem to like so much. Enough added protection to protect my face FOR SLOW CRASHES. It is a XC helmet with added bits, not a real FF helmet. I started wearing the Parachute when I barely tapped my front teeth on the ground during a slow crash. Seriously, just tapped, with no damage. That was enough for me to do something different, including spending a ridiculous amount of money for another XC helmet.

If I ride faster in the rough stuff, especially going down the hill (so far, too scared to do real downhill), then the Parachute will not be adequate. I also occasionally use a Specialized Deviant and a Giro Remedy. I think those offer adequate protection when going faster (and the possibly harder crashes), especially the Remedy.

It is uncomfortable when it is hot, but if you are constantly hitting it hard, a light, airy helmet, open or FF, will not be adequate to save the teeth, nose, or brain.

mtbr member
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Speshy Deviant seems like it will fit the bill. It's a highly vented full face. Not sure if it would hold up to DH racing but looks like it would be great for AM days.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Trying to think out of the box.....

Just a thought - I have a Giro Remedy that I'm pretty happy with. Location and climate seem to be a big concern here - I'm in Plymouth, MA. Do I wear the Remedy every time I step out of the door? No. After reading the post from Rapidtrax, I may rethink my habits. I had never seen the MET Para. until this thread - it probably rides as cool as it looks. The chin guard philosophy had me thinking and then I happened to see the Gran Am race this last weekend (Belle Isle Park, MI) and noticed what the pit crews were wearing and I just did a quick Google search for "pit crew helmets" - the following article came up that yielded the most photos (I can't post a link yet), see Bleacher Report - 20 Coolest Pit Crew Helmets. I haven't done much more research into where the helmets come from or what certifications they have, but this may give someone who wants more air hitting their face while still getting some modicum of face protection. The Simpson Pit Warrior seems to pop up quite a bit (not DOT approved, so it's probably not as heavy as a full on motocross helmet). I'm sticking with what I have and hopefully keeping all my teeth. Good luck finding whatever it is that fits your needs.

mtbr member
    Have you seen Casco Viper MX? It is the one that I use and it is great for Enduro / AM. The chinguard can be removed while climbing without even stopping to do so.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anyone worn a Met Parachute through a hard crash and came out of it relatively unscathed? I haven't read of anyone getting seriously injured while wearing that helmet. If it's used for it's intended purpose (just light cheek and chin protection) during a techy xc section, that seems like the helmet fulfilled its promise, no? I'm looking for a full face helmet, too that would give me a little extra assurance that I don't have to eat rock candy and lose my teeth.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I have considered the Met Parachute but cannot find a source in the U.S. I would like to try one but have a rather large head and would want to return for a refund if it does not fit.

Has anyone tried the Urge Archi-Enduro helmet?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Porcelain View Post
    I'm also looking for a lightweight full face helmet, and am currently leaning towards the POC Cortex Flow Helmet. Even though it's twice my budget, it seems to have universally awesome reviews, and it's designed as a multi-impact helmet, so maybe it will be cheaper in the long run. And it looks like I would be able to use my hydration pack while it's on, so if it's as cool as people say, it would meet all my requirements and I would actually wear it.

I can't post links yet, but you should be able to copy and paste this URL into your browser:
    pocsports.com/en/product/1220/cortex-flow
    Hey Porcelin.

I had seen photos of the POC Cortex Flow helmet and believe it is made in Sweden. I went to their website and searched for a dealer in the U.S. to no avail. Have you located a source in the U.S.? Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OS-KR View Post
    Have you seen Casco Viper MX? It is the one that I use and it is great for Enduro / AM. The chinguard can be removed while climbing without even stopping to do so.
    This Casco does look like a possibility besides the MET Parachute for a lightweight XC all the time use helmet

So does the Cratoni C Maniac and Shakedown

Last edited by skidad; 06-26-2012 at 10:12 AM.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Howdy!

I hope this is not highjacking, since I am talking about a similar helmet.

I have been doing some research for this kind of helmets also. However, in my case, it is for my 5 years old son. A couple weeks ago he fell from his bicycle and hit the chin on the ground first.
    The result was a deep cut because the standard helmet did not cover that area. To make things worse, despite the quick emergency care and a few stitches his wound infected and now he's at home recovering slowly because the doctors say we need to keep the wound open to not infect again. Therefore, I think spending more on a helmet that can prevent this kind of hassle is more than worth it.

So, bottom line, I am looking for a lightweight helmet that fits a 5 years old head, who will not be doing any downhill riding for quite a while. Just the normal child riding, even though he likes to ride quick. The helmet should be light and also well ventilated since speed will not help ventilation. I also do not want him trying to pull it out because its too heavy or hot. We currently ride for 2 or more hours, so the wrong helmet will surely make him uncomrfortable.

I called Giro and they say there's nothing in their catalog for small children.

I then found the MET Parachute but cannot find it here in US or even Canada, despite MET lists several dealers over there.

Any recommendations for children or experiences you may have on this topic? Thanks much in advance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Maverick View Post
    However, in my case, it is for my 5 years old son.
    I got this one for my kid after he skinned up his face...not sure if it is still available.

Amazon.com: Mongoose Child Full Face Bike Helmet (Colors May Vary, Blue or Black): Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Maverick View Post
    Howdy!

I hope this is not highjacking, since I am talking about a similar helmet.

I have been doing some research for this kind of helmets also. However, in my case, it is for my 5 years old son. A couple weeks ago he fell from his bicycle and hit the chin on the ground first.
    The result was a deep cut because the standard helmet did not cover that area. To make things worse, despite the quick emergency care and a few stitches his wound infected and now he's at home recovering slowly because the doctors say we need to keep the wound open to not infect again. Therefore, I think spending more on a helmet that can prevent this kind of hassle is more than worth it.

So, bottom line, I am looking for a lightweight helmet that fits a 5 years old head, who will not be doing any downhill riding for quite a while. Just the normal child riding, even though he likes to ride quick. The helmet should be light and also well ventilated since speed will not help ventilation. I also do not want him trying to pull it out because its too heavy or hot. We currently ride for 2 or more hours, so the wrong helmet will surely make him uncomrfortable.

I called Giro and they say there's nothing in their catalog for small children.

I then found the MET Parachute but cannot find it here in US or even Canada, despite MET lists several dealers over there.

Any recommendations for children or experiences you may have on this topic? Thanks much in advance.
    I got a Bell full-face helmet from Walmart for my 5 yo son. It was like $30-40.

mtbr member
    MET have just started US distribution through Tom Hall Enterprises.
    The helmets are not yet shown on the website, so I don't know if they're going to carry the Parachute. If you call them, please let us know on the forum.

p.s. The Parachute is the bottom photo in the original post.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I use a cratoni shakedown and I love it. It's light and yet really solid. The chin isn't as strong as a normal fullface helmet of course, but it has managed to save my teeth a couple of times so I'm happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast