mtbr member
    Jul 2011

recommended grips?

i'm looking for any recommendations for new grips.
    1. spec stumpy fsr elite, aggressive trail riding. i'm 5'11" and ~205lbs+ with gear.
    2. my wife is 5'3" and ~115lbs. her bike is spec ERA fsr expert, also aggressive trail riding purpose.
    appreciate any feedback.

JDM
    mtbr member
    1. Ergon GP1-L
    2. Ergon GP1-S

mtbr member
    ESI grips. Either model for you depending on if you like narrow (racers edge) or thick (chunky) grips. Racers edge for your wife if she has small hands.

They are comfy no matter what position your hands are gripping them, wether you're descending in an attack position or climbing with your wrists a little lower then your knuckes. The smooth surface doesn't act like cheese graters on your hands, so you can ride them without gloves. If installed correctly, they DO NOT slip, so no extra weight for lock on hardware.

mtbr member
    Renthal kevlars - may need grip glue (super easy to mount)may not but moto narrow for really good feel but very comfy and will never wear. 130mm length..cut 'em down for the mrs. small diameter flange works just like moto for aggressive trail riding. you can get 'em in different durometers but for mtn biking the kevlars will oulast anything.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'd say the ODI ruffians, I like the waffle style grip. Specialized also makes a waffle style grip that I run until I wear them out then usually upgrade to the ODI's they are simialr but the ODI's seem a bit more grippy when wet.
    '14 Yeti SB95c--Pike'd

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gsoroos View Post
    ESI grips. Either model for you depending on if you like narrow (racers edge) or thick (chunky) grips. Racers edge for your wife if she has small hands.

They are comfy no matter what position your hands are gripping them, wether you're descending in an attack position or climbing with your wrists a little lower then your knuckes. The smooth surface doesn't act like cheese graters on your hands, so you can ride them without gloves. If installed correctly, they DO NOT slip, so no extra weight for lock on hardware.
    I just got a set of the Racers Edge, and my only complaint is, it's very hard to tell where the thin section is, I wish they put some kind of mark on to orient when you mount them.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc View Post
    I just got a set of the Racers Edge, and my only complaint is, it's very hard to tell where the thin section is, I wish they put some kind of mark on to orient when you mount them.
    I agree. That is irritating. I would they rather make it a consistant thickness around. I almost ruined mine when poking a knitting needle under the grip to get some alcohol under it to rotate it around "correctly."

But I've come to grips that the extra millimeter won't be noticed if it's not positioned right. I can't tell a difference in feel or look.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    My favorite are Oury Lock-on's. Buy the Oury replacement grips and then buy a pack of ODI lock-on clamps with end caps (pick any color clamp you want). The Oury grips are the thickest grips out there. They are not overly soft or overly hard (they are just right). If you are doing aggressive riding with a lot of movement you don't want Ergons or other grips with palm fins sticking out. The palm fins will get in the way and decrease your ability to grip the bar in different positions. I would suggest a good pair of gloves and the Oury's or other round lock-on grip for aggressive riding. If you are doing a lot of XC miles with your hands in one spot for long periods of time then I would suggest something like the Ergon with a palm fin. Others may disagree but this has been my experience.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I'll second the ESI grips. Very light and very comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I ride both esi racer's edge and renthal kevlar, Esi grips wear out, and aren't as durable as the renthals but provide a bit more cushion. Renthal grips give you more feel of what the bike is doing, take your pick.

mtbr member
    I second Oury mountain grips, though I prefer the non-lock-on version (because the lock-on hardware is hard and I live in a dry climate where it's not so beneficial). I think there's a logical argument that skinny grips make more sense, but Oury's offer great comfort and durability.

On the subject or durability, whichever shape you go for, consider black. Black rubber typically has some carbon content that binds the material together (remember how colored tires wore out quickly), black also doesn't show dirt or look so torn up after a little wear.

Endo King
    I put on a set of Ergon GP3-L's and they're work great for me, but I don't race neither..

mtbr member
    ESI chunky or racers edge - good grip, but have had some issues with longevity.
    ODI ruffian - excellent grip, but have found it to be slippery when wet.
    ODI x-trainer - excellent grip, even when wet.

Helmetless Crasher
    ESI, hands down.

super comfortable
    absorb shock/vibes
    look great
    mine show zero wear after 6 months
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    I would cast my vote for the Ourys as well. By far the most comfortable grip I have ever used. They are sticky and do a great job at mitigating vibration.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    It's all personal preference anyway...

My preference? Ergon GP-1

Just shutup and ride.
    I haven't been riding MTB that long but have been riding Freestyle bikes for well over 20 years and I love my Ourys. Like others said above, not to soft or hard, have a good tacky feel and a good thickness. Best with gloves on long rides.

habitual line-stepper
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    It's all personal preference anyway...
    This...

I've tried quite a few grips, and my only recommendation is that you find one that fits your hands well. Grips too small tend to have my gloves bunched up and hands aching midway through a ride. Right now my faves are thick sunline logo lock-ons and ergon GA1-L, though the ODI rogue's on my SS are sticky and comfy as well. Lots to try, good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by vBulletin
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

mtbr member
    Love my Raceface Strafes... Definitely a personal preference thing though. Big vote for lock-on grips though. Don't see myself going away from lock-ons.
    '10 Hardrock Sport Disc

mtbr member
    I'm really liking my ODI Rogue Lock-on Grips -- just right thickness, cushiness, and stickiness.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Another vote for Ergon GP1.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by weekendthrasher View Post
    i'm looking for any recommendations for new grips.
    1. spec stumpy fsr elite, aggressive trail riding. i'm 5'11" and ~205lbs+ with gear.
    2. my wife is 5'3" and ~115lbs. her bike is spec ERA fsr expert, also aggressive trail riding purpose.
    appreciate any feedback.
    Grips, like saddles, are going to be a personal preference thing. Some like them thicker, some thinner, some harder, some softer. Some want an "ergonomic" design, others want one that can be griped at multiple wrist angles.

Personally, I like thinner, harder grips. The ODI Ruffians are what I go with. Have a set of OURY grips on my commuter and they work fine there, but I did not like them at all on my mtb. Too soft.

I really like my the Ergon grips with the mini bar ends (on my wife's bike) on non-technical riding, and if I ever set up a road / touring bike with a flat bar these would be on top of my list. Might even stick a pair on my commuter some day, though I tend to go on short enough rides with that bike that it does not really matter what I use there.

My wife is super happy with the Ergons on her bike, after being unhappy with two other grips (oury and the ruffians).
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

thx

thanks to all for the suggestions and feedback. unfortunately i couldn't get my hands on most that were mentioned to try them out. had to go with what seemed useable for now so bought Shimano Pro Koryak Locking grip for myself and Specialized BG Ergo grips for my wife. took our first ride with them last night ... feels good. comes down to personal preference and will keep my eye out for the grips mentioned in this thread as am still very curious to have some first-hand experience with them. until then, all's well. feel free to give me any feedback if any have had direct experience with the Koryak or BG Ergo grips.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have the same bike as you. I put ODI Rogue grips on all of my bikes to include my GF bike.