Dirt Diva Little h

Recommendation for Freeride shoes for women?

I'm just getting into the sport and want to know what are some good fitting freeride shoes for women? Anyone tried any? Thoughts, comments, or recommendations welcome!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heather@thebakkers.com
    I'm just getting into the sport and want to know what are some good fitting freeride shoes for women? Anyone tried any? Thoughts, comments, or recommendations welcome!
    I recently bought some Shimano DX shoes and they're working out well so far. I'm using them for everything from XC to DH and dual slalom.

Obviously, fit will depend on your individual foot shape, though.

amg
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    For riding flat pedals or clipless? For riding flats I check out various skate shoes for a nice grippy sole - you can sometimes find them pretty cheaply. My last pair was a set of Airwalks I picked up at the thrift store for $8; before that I ruined my favourite Simples by riding in them through the winter. They had awesome sticky soles, but didn't hold up well. Currently I'm using some Vans that were getting ratty and became designated riding shoes. They've held up well through a couple of rainy winters and are still going strong. If I'm riding dh clipless I use my Shimano xc shoes.

abolisher of A$$holes
    I always ride in skate shoes...xc, Dj, DH or FR...my favs have always been Globes, but recently went into the chick section and found some excellent Gallaz (same company) that are black and bubblegum pink...they're much more fitting than the guys' shoes if you have narrower feet...wish I would have hit up the girls' section when they first started making the girls' shoes but they kept making white shoes...

as for clipless...I personally wouldn't recommend them for FR, but I'm sure there are some that wear them...it just makes it harder to do no footers and such...and sometimes, you've got less than 10 ft. of runup to a drop...I'd rather concentrate on the drop than clipping in...

aka red

for flat pedals?

i'll second other's suggestions - any shoe with a flat, soft, sticky sole - skate shoes are perfect. From mtb manufacturers, Lake makes a nice women's shoe (my favourite - this year they came in pink and white, brown, black...), and the Shimano DX are also nice. I've also had luck with the cheap versions from Walmart or wherever - as others have said, be prepared for them to get trashed pretty quick, especially if you're riding in the wet. :-)

good luck!
    penny d.

amg
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by irieness
    as for clipless...I personally wouldn't recommend them for FR, but I'm sure there are some that wear them...it just makes it harder to do no footers and such...and sometimes, you've got less than 10 ft. of runup to a drop...I'd rather concentrate on the drop than clipping in...
    I bow to your greater skill level , I don't usually do no-footers, at least not intentionally - that's more a dirt jumping thing, and I haven't gotten into that - and tend to keep my feet on the pedals before drops. She asked about freeriding, and I have met people who will do freeriding clipped in (they swear it gives them more control), so that's why I mentioned it. I will occasionally use clipless if there's a long climb to get to the trail, or if it's a more dh-oriented trail that is faster and very chattery but not as technical.

To each their own.

abolisher of A$$holes
    Quote Originally Posted by amg
    I bow to your greater skill level , I don't usually do no-footers, at least not intentionally - that's more a dirt jumping thing, and I haven't gotten into that - and tend to keep my feet on the pedals before drops. She asked about freeriding, and I have met people who will do freeriding clipped in (they swear it gives them more control), so that's why I mentioned it. I will occasionally use clipless if there's a long climb to get to the trail, or if it's a more dh-oriented trail that is faster and very chattery but not as technical.

To each their own.
    ahhh...my skills...sometimes these things just come naturally to some of us... not really sure why you felt the need to respond to my post...the no footer comment was a little inside joke...and people don't only do no footers when dirt jumping...and yeah, I like to keep my feet on the pedals before drops too...but sometimes when you're sessioning a drop...you gotta start out on a short run in...making it a pain in the arse to clip-in in such a short amount of time...

pretty sure I understood she was asking about freeriding...and IMO I don't recommend clipless...doesn't mean other people don't, and I stated that...I SAID IMO...not sure why you're taking my opinion so personally?? I think clipless suck...doesn't mean everyone should... and I don't personally know any decent freeriders that wear them for freeriding either...but like you said...to each their own...
    Last edited by irieness; 08-31-2005 at 11:44 AM.

mtbr member
    Last edited by zachdank; 08-31-2005 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    ahhh...my skills...sometimes these things just come naturally to some of us... not really sure why you felt the need to respond to my post...the no footer comment was a little inside joke...

pretty sure I understood she was asking about freeriding...and IMO I don't recommend clipless...doesn't mean other people don't, and I stated that...I SAID IMO...not sure why you're taking my opinion so personally?? I think clipless suck...doesn't mean everyone should... and I don't personally know any decent freeriders that wear them for freeriding either...but like you said...to each their own...

I read her post and thought she was paying you a compliment. So your reaction has me pretty confused. Why would you expect us to understand your inside jokes?

There are too many definitions of "freeriding" to make an assumption on whether she should be riding clipless or not. Maybe she means techy trail riding that is over and above what you'd consider XC, maybe she means dirt jumping, stunts, whatever. I woudn't rule out clipless just because the word freeride was mentioned.

abolisher of A$$holes
    Quote Originally Posted by connie
    I read her post and thought she was paying you a compliment. So your reaction has me pretty confused. Why would you expect us to understand your inside jokes?

There are too many definitions of "freeriding" to make an assumption on whether she should be riding clipless or not. Maybe she means techy trail riding that is over and above what you'd consider XC, maybe she means dirt jumping, stunts, whatever. I woudn't rule out clipless just because the word freeride was mentioned.
    I took the "bow to your skills " as sarcasm...if there was a happy face at the end I would have thought it was a compliment..but there was a wink...so I just threw a little sarcasm back...

and when telling people that clipless prohibit you from doing certain tricks...it's kind of a joke I use to get people to at least ASPIRE to do no footers...as I still am...

I'm not saying that clipless aren't for freeriding...I just recommended in my opinion not to use them...I'm not a fan of having my feet attached when in need to bail...whether it be FR or DH or XC...that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't try them or use them...she asked for opinions on shoes and my opinion is to ride flats...no assumptions made here...just stated an opinion...you don't have to use it...

amg
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I took the "bow to your skills " as sarcasm...if there was a happy face at the end I would have thought it was a compliment..but there was a wink...so I just threw a little sarcasm back...

and when telling people that clipless prohibit you from doing certain tricks...it's kind of a joke I use to get people to at least ASPIRE to do no footers...as I still am...

I'm not saying that clipless aren't for freeriding...I just recommended in my opinion not to use them...I'm not a fan of having my feet attached when in need to bail...whether it be FR or DH or XC...that doesn't mean that someone shouldn't try them or use them...she asked for opinions on shoes and my opinion is to ride flats...no assumptions made here...just stated an opinion...you don't have to use it...
    No, I use the rolly-eyes for sarcasm - it would be poking fun at myself if anyone! I'm always impressed by women who push the envelope with their riding, I certainly don't. The idea of me doing no-footers is a bit of a stretch - I tend to stick to smaller drops these days. If it came across wrong, I apologize, I'm a bit irritable because of not being able to ride for so long, so that may be colouring my "e-speech". I've been off the bike for a month due to what I thought was a bad sprain, and just found out (thanks to a screw up at the emergency room) that it was actually a broken ankle. Now I'm waiting to find out if I messed things up even more by hobbling around on it for that long.

abolisher of A$$holes
    Quote Originally Posted by amg
    No, I use the rolly-eyes for sarcasm - it would be poking fun at myself if anyone! I'm always impressed by women who push the envelope with their riding, I certainly don't. The idea of me doing no-footers is a bit of a stretch - I tend to stick to smaller drops these days. If it came across wrong, I apologize, I'm a bit irritable because of not being able to ride for so long, so that may be colouring my "e-speech". I've been off the bike for a month due to what I thought was a bad sprain, and just found out (thanks to a screw up at the emergency room) that it was actually a broken ankle. Now I'm waiting to find out if I messed things up even more by hobbling around on it for that long.
    I always misunderstand people's sarcasm/happiness/sadness/and pissed offness on here...my apologies as well...I'm sure you could do no footers or whatever if you wanted to...it just usually adds a little more pain when trying new things because there's always gonna be failure...and I'm definitely not a fan of pain...so sometimes my progress seems a little slow..

sorry to hear about your break...if I actually broke a bone, it would take me a while to get back on the bike...so props to you for wanting to get on it so badly...especially after such a setback...good luck with your results and hopefully you're back riding ASAP...