mtbr member

Recommend a spine protector/core saver

I am looking to buy a spine protector/core saver/pressure suit. I was hoping you guys/gals might have some recommendations on decent ones that have been good for you. I really only need the chest/back. This is more for all mountain than downhill.

I recently bought the sixsixone core saver and it arrived with the rivets that hold the spine together broken apart in the package. I thought, "hmm weird that a company as solid as sixsixone would have this happen on their product, must be a defect." So I sent the core saver back and when the new one arrived, the exact same thing had happened in shipping. Needless to say, I am not overly comfortable using the core saver. If it cant make it through shipping I dont think it will protect my spine well enough.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Recommend a spine protector/core saver-spine-protector.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i saw something like this in a magazine that might be helpful:

Mountain Biking | LeattŪ - Engineered for Performance. Protective Sports Gear

i was going to look around to see if i could find it at a local shop (or something similar). my goal was to use it at the bmx track, or if i ever take my nomad to a bike park.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Thanks but I'm not really looking for the neck brace. I moreso want to find a decent chest/spine protector.

Gnarly
    sixsixone makes soft and hard shell spine and chest protectors

Six Six One

(I wear the knee and shin pads for dh.. excellent products)
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    sixsixone makes soft and hard shell spine and chest protectors

Six Six One

(I wear the knee and shin pads for dh.. excellent products)
    Yeah, Im not comfortable with their spine protector after receiving two brand new broken ones in the mail. Maybe a different design from their core saver is worth using.

Gnarly
    Quote Originally Posted by danguskhan View Post
    Yeah, Im not comfortable with their spine protector after receiving two brand new broken ones in the mail. Maybe a different design from their core saver is worth using.
    That is odd.I wouldn't be happy either. I thought sixsixone was a good brand. I purchased mine at my LBS so I knew what I was getting. I am happy with my purchase so I don;t know another brand Maybe someone else has some recommendations
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Yeah, I totally feel you. I have sixsixone knee pads both the long and short versions. They are both great. I just feel like there is a huge design flaw in the rivets of their spine protectors. I may even try a product from them with a different design. It sucks because everything else about their core saver seemed great.

mtbr member
    May 2012

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by danguskhan View Post
    Thanks but I'm not really looking for the neck brace. I moreso want to find a decent chest/spine protector.
    take a look at the link, unless the URL messed up during paste, it should link to a different leatt product, not the neck brace. its basically a sleeveless vest w/ chest, side and back foam armor (the D30 type stuff i think). it seems low profile enough that one could take it XC riding--but i really want to try it on first.

it has removable sections that enable you to use a neck brace, but by no means required.
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dth656 View Post
    take a look at the link, unless the URL messed up during paste, it should link to a different leatt product, not the neck brace. its basically a sleeveless vest w/ chest, side and back foam armor (the D30 type stuff i think). it seems low profile enough that one could take it XC riding--but i really want to try it on first.

it has removable sections that enable you to use a neck brace, but by no means required.
    Oh awesome, thanks for catching that. I was looking at it on my phone last night when I left that comment. My phone went right to their mobile site main page. Now that I am on my computer I can see the vest and it looks super nice. I may end up ordering this one, it looks really nice and pretty damn comfortable.

Vitamin Bike Added
    FWIW- for my AM riding: Spine: camelback, Chest/shoulder: 661 subgear. If you are more on the freeride/DH spectrum of AM, get something more burly though.
    Keep the rubber side down

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    DS 5100 Shield Vest

I got one of the above over Christmas from my wife (after a particularly nasty crash, broke 3 ribs in the fall). Ive only ridden with it once so far due to weather, but I cant find any fault with it. Admittedly this is my first foray into the body armour scene but I like it well enough. Its relatively cheap, offers rib protection, and some collarbone/shoulder protections as well.

Ohh, that guy.
    Jan 2013
    I have MACE body armour with integrated arm, elbow and shoulder protectors, but I'm sure they make ones with just spine and chest protectors. I have landed straight on my back and chest many times with my armour and they have no damage, and neither do I. I highly recommend MACE over sixsixone as I have broken their full- face helmets, shin guards and body armor with falls much smaller than the ones my MACE armour has endured multiple times. Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ominous View Post
    DS 5100 Shield Vest

I got one of the above over Christmas from my wife (after a particularly nasty crash, broke 3 ribs in the fall). Ive only ridden with it once so far due to weather, but I cant find any fault with it. Admittedly this is my first foray into the body armour scene but I like it well enough. Its relatively cheap, offers rib protection, and some collarbone/shoulder protections as well.
    Have you had a chance to evaluate this piece yet? It looks pretty warm, and I'm in TX most of the time, so I need something that vents well.

Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Try to get information about "Alpinestars Bio Armor" Back Protector.