mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Recommend me a new hydration pack

I have a Camelback Hawg that I've been using for years and it's time to move on. I haven't been keeping up with the latest advancements but I know some packs have system to elevate the body of the pack away from your back to help ventilation. I like this idea. What else should I look for?
    I need something to carry my helmet and strap armor onto and a large carring capacity similar to the Hawg. What can you folks recommend?

mtbr member
    I'd recommend Deuter. It's expensive, but IMHO the air backbone really works great. You can still use a camelbak reservoir, which is what I'd recommend. The 3L version does carry a helmet.

I've been wearing mine for 6+ years without so much as a single issue too, so it's definitely durable.

Amazon.com: Deuter Race EXP Air 3L: Clothing

Amazon.com: Deuter Race Air Lite 3L: Sports & Outdoors

Huffy Rider
    Vaude, they make a ton of different packs with a "frame" to keep it off your back and distribute the weight. Worth every penny...

mtbr member
    I use the Osprey Syncro 15. Awesome pack technology and bladder as well. I would highly recommend it.
    "Impossible is not a word, it's just a reason for someone not to try."

mtbr member
    Been using an Osprey Raptor 10 for about 6 months and love it.

Check this thread... Osprey

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Osprey.
    They work great. The bladders are easy to refill and put back into the pack. I love the magnet on the sternum strap that holds the bite valve!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Do the Ospreys suspend the pack off your back like the Dueter and Vaude?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012

Osprey

I just started using a Osprey Raptor 10 and really enjoy it. It does sit on your back but it breathes really well. I like the bladder system on it as opposed to the Camelback.

Huffy Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Telewacker View Post
    Some of them are suppose to, but don't work well. I also tried the Deuter, didn't fit. The Vaude is adjustable so if you are 5ft or 7ft tall, they adjust to your height to get the right fit. I was in the same boat as you a few months ago, it took me a month to figure all the packs out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I use a Mule NV. The NM model sits off your back a bit more than the standard Mule.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Currently using the Mule NV as well, i find this pack to be great, really good build quality and a heap of storage.

beater
    The fact that it rides on the back, rather than off it for ventilation may rule it out for you, but I'm really impressed with my Evoc FR Trail. Part of the reason it rides flush on your back is that it has integrated back protection.

I wanted a big bag for epic rides, and the market has been pretty slim for bags big enough for extra layers, food, tools, etc. and still having dedicated helmet and armor carry. The newest bags from Camelbak and Osprey hit those marks, but they're not quite as large. Despite the stupid amount of weight I sometimes pack in it, it has a real hip belt that takes the load off my shoulders.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

Is not amused
    Pick this pack up last week. More storage then what is shown in the video. Definitely recommend this pack to anyone looking for a new hydration system.

Another pack from Lezyne to check out.

Last edited by Hutch3637; 05-14-2012 at 01:14 PM.
    Yip yip yip nope nope nope

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Evoc fr 25lt with back protector. Maybe a little heavy but for all day riding it's brilliant. You don't notice the weight. Can't say it sits off your back but thats cause of the back protector.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    the deuter packs are really nice

mtbr member
    I've been using an Ergon BC-2 for the last year and I'm very satisfied. The frame design keeps the pack separated from your back and puts the weight on your hips.
    EAT : SLEEP : RIDE
    2010 Cannondale Rize 120 Three
    All Things Vic
    Flickr Set

I'd rather be on my bike
    I just made the move from a Camelbak 70oz Rogue to a Camelback 100oz MULE, and so far, I love it. Substantial storage, and the pack sits a little off of my back for ventilation. It seems like the pack can carry a lot or a little, just what you want. If you are not carrying a lot, it does not feel like a huge pack. I don't notice much a difference between it and my smaller Rogue.

Rides the Desert
    Ospreys are awesome, I have Raptor 10 and its nice but not the best of them. If you want ventilation check the Syncro series.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The Deuter Compact Air EXP 10 rocks.

Pockets to hold and organize all your stuff, comes with a rain cover, and expandable for when you need to carry a few extra layers. The manufacturing and materials quality is the best in the industry.

The Aircomfort back panel system is the most breathable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Ergon BC-1

Great pack. I use the BC-3 on my commute, it's huge. I find the BC-1 to be a good size and use it with a camelback 100oz reservoir. My one complaint is the lack of interior pockets for organization. I load the thing down and it has always been super comfortable.

As stated in another post my friends call it the "kitchen sink", they're usually pretty happy if they need something out of there though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Telewacker View Post
    The new Osprey Syncro series does.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wingnut. I haven't noticed any ventilation/heating problems with mine. It does ride lower on your back.
    wingnutgear.com - Hyper 3.0