mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Raptor 14 vs. Mule

I'm needing to get a good pack. I like both of these but I am having a hard time deciding between the two. I am now wondering which one you prefer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Raptor 14

Like you I was trying to decide between the mule and raptor 14 when buying a new hydration pack. I ended up getting a raptor 14 and I don't regret the decision at all - it's a great pack.

mtbr member

Keep in mind

that they come in two sizes - I bought the small medium by mistake and had to return it for the MD/LG. Great pack now that the chest strap isn't around my neck.
    The reason dogs have so many friends is that they wag their tail instead of their tongues.

Wanderer
    The Raptor has a harder back than the Mule and after trying both I liked the soft Mule back more.

The Raptor is certainly well engineered tho with lots of neat features.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Both are good packs. I have a rator 10 and have not had any issues with it. Very happy. If you can try them both on before you buy.

Have you looked at Vaude?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I will keep that in mind about the size. I have not looked at Vaude yet. I went to my lbs before a ride this morning and they had nothing really. At least nothing that academy sports doesn't have. I think I'm going to Dallas in a couple weeks so I'll look there.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here is an other pack to consider. North Face. My brother for Christmas got me a North Face Gunnison 18. The pack is well made, lots of storage and uses a Source hydration system. I'm not to familiar with Source but from what I can see from what I have I like it. I just have to try it. I would have brought this up sooner but my family and I just exchaned presents. Happy shopping.

SOURCE - Leaders in Hiking Sandals & Hydration Systems

mtbr member
    I have a Viper 10. I love it. Had various Camelbak's over the years, and I can honestly say I prefer everything about the Osprey hydration system. I like the bite valve better (personal preference though, my girlfriend likes the camelbak bite better), the handsdown winner to me is the lid on the bladder. So much easier to deal with.

Ultimately fit and personal preference is going to make up your mind. Try them both on, go from there. Quality wise I don't think you can go wrong either way.

mtbr member
    I agree both great packs. I like the rigid back on the Osprey 14 gives good support to. The quality is fantastic . Very well designed. I love the bite valve to. The only other pack I would look for is a smaller in the same range. 14 Ideal for everything just grab fill and go.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Vaude Hyper Air 14+3. Comfortable. Still haven't had to open it to 17L mode.
    agmtb

I did it all for the kudo
    To the OP, I actually own both packs. Beings that they are different size packs, the Osprey being bigger, I use it primarily. While the Mule gets used mostly during the summer months when I don't carry as much spare clothing.
    Overall the Osprey gets the nod on this one... IMO It's just a nicer pack, and I find myself going to it first.
    Hope this helps

Oh, I also forgot to mention that the Mule Nv has a built in rain cover and that the Osprey Raptor does not. Although apparently they do offer one... So if you ride in the rain take that into consideration because the fabric that Osprey uses offers little protection.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by abegold View Post
    Vaude Hyper Air 14+3. Comfortable. Still haven't had to open it to 17L mode.
    Hope you don't have to - 17 liters is 4.5 gallons - that'd weigh 40 pounds...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have an Osprey Raptor 14 and I've only used it a few times so far, but I like it. It has a lot of extra straps and pockets; these can either be convenient or a nuisance. Also, the back on the raptor is rigid, but I find it comfortable when I use it with the hip belt secured. I also like the magnetic sternum strap for the hose.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by spaightlabs View Post
    Hope you don't have to - 17 liters is 4.5 gallons - that'd weigh 40 pounds...
    the 14L refers to the capacity of cargo that you can carry.. the +3 is a zippered compartment that adds 3 more L of capacity. It only has a 3L water reservoir.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Raptor

I owned a Mule and now have a raptor and I much prefer it over the mule.

The biggest sellers for me are:
    1)the side pockets and hip pockets-easy to access while riding.
    2)magnetic holder for the hose-don't have to take my hands off the bar to drink
    3)the hard back of the bladder-Sooooo much easier to stuff the bladder into the pack when it is full than the Camelbak bladder.

The cons of both are the openings for the bladders. Both use the round opening, which is more of a pain to clean and air out than the zip-loc seal type of Source and Hydrapak bladders.

Trail Ninja
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnar-man View Post
    I owned a Mule and now have a raptor and I much prefer it over the mule.

The biggest sellers for me are:
    1)the side pockets and hip pockets-easy to access while riding.
    2)magnetic holder for the hose-don't have to take my hands off the bar to drink
    3)the hard back of the bladder-Sooooo much easier to stuff the bladder into the pack when it is full than the Camelbak bladder.

The cons of both are the openings for the bladders. Both use the round opening, which is more of a pain to clean and air out than the zip-loc seal type of Source and Hydrapak bladders.
    I totally agree. I went to Deuter Race EXP Air over a Mule and liked that much more than the Mule, but then from Deuter to Osprey Raptor and like that much more than the Deuter, except for the bladder opening.

I also recommend getting the M/L size, unless you're really short (5' 5" or shorter). The Raptor 14 has the side pockets and a little more capacity. I actually got it just for the side pockets, over the 10. I like the little pockets on the waist band too--they're so handy I wish they were made beefier and bigger, to carry cameras and cell phones.

Looks like they're the same price or cheaper than they were around Christmas time, at around $80. I can't wait until summer to really put it to use, as I seemingly don't need that much hydration during this time of year. Will get to put it to test vs the Deuter's AirComfort back to the Osprey's back as well, as that's one of the better features on the Deuter (as well as its profiled shape to slip under low hanging branches without snagging).

Not sure which bite valve is best. I personally prefer low-moderate flow and one that can shoot a tight stream of water that can be aimed. I think I like the Nalgene over the Source bite valve at least. The Camelbak one was an old one that leaked and looked beat up after gnawing on it, so I can't compare it to these newer ones.