mtbr member
    May 2013

Race + Hike shoes

I am looking for some RACE MTB shoes, but with some toe flex for better hike / running. I am not looking for All-mountain / Recreational shoes - lightweight and stiff are important, I just want some movement at the toe...

My S-Works MTB shoes feel like I am hiking in these...

Race + Hike shoes-1182590462_44930ca231_z.jpg

...the PI X Projects shoes are MIA....

Any suggestions? Any favorites?

Jim

lamer

Re: Race + Hike shoes

I've yet to actually do any hike-a-bike with them, but I like my Gaerne G.Kobra shoes. Really light, stiff carbon sole, and I feel like I could run in them fairly easy.

mtbr member
    I don't mtb races anymore, but I do three large adventure races every year. I do not run "clipless" pedals... just strapped. Unless conditions are really bad, I use Vasque Rift shoes. May not apply to what you want, but I've hiked +10miles and road over 50miles at a time in those. Oil, waterproof spray and a good pair of socks, never had a major problem.

The mtb "clipless" shoes I see are darn stiff and I couldn't see hiking them for an extended period of time. Either you get less stiff shoes, which may impede whatever advantage they give you pedaling, and you hike better, or you have better pedaling shoes and your hike will end up miserable depending upon length.

Tough one!
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have been trying on shoes for the last week and the best "walking" in the store shoe I have found so far was the Specialized Comp Mountain although it didn't fit my wide foot as well as others. Although I have not had a chance to try them on the Northwave Striker Carbon 5 has been the most recommended shoe by my pro riding son, the design is based on a soccer shoe hence the Striker in the name.

Ed

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    This subject brings to mind a shoe that I was aiming for, as I want an "all-in-one" shoe for rock climbing, hiking, and biking.. have you checked out LA Sportiva Ganda Guide?

It looks like it might do the trick, as here are the tech specs:

Quote Originally Posted by http://www.sportiva.com/products/footwear/climbingapproach/ganda-guide
    WEIGHT: 20.18 oz/572 g

LAST: Approach Tech

CONSTRUCTION: Slip Lasted (forefoot) Board Lasted (back half)

UPPER: White Wash Leather/Vibram® rubber rands/Synthetic Leather

LINING: Mesh (heel only)

MIDSOLE: PU Lite/EVA

SOLE: Vibram® Idro-Frip V-Smear™ Impact Break System™

SIZES: 36-47 (half sizes)

COLOR: Sage

ITEM NUMBER: 885

PRICE: $285 USD

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RandomGuyOnABike View Post
    This subject brings to mind a shoe that I was aiming for, as I want an "all-in-one" shoe for rock climbing, hiking, and biking.. have you checked out LA Sportiva Ganda Guide?

It looks like it might do the trick, as here are the tech specs:

I checked many sites, but still i am questioning for the best hike shows.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Race + Hike shoes

I have been using newbalance minimums trails for the last year or so. They grip my pedals really well, very light, very cool. On really rocky trails the overall lack of sole makes them a little irritating. I wear keen bryce mids for hiking only.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    While hiking we need light weight shoes. So tell me about the brand of your hike shoes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Shimano, Mavic, and I think Gaerne all have a clipless compatible hiking shoe with Vibram outsole. Only problem is they might not be available in NA

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    OP, what did you end up with?

All - I know old post but good topic, I just picked up some Fizik M5s for this and hopefully they meet the need will get first long rides with actual hike a bike this weekend hopefully.

I was using Mavics with Nylon soles and they were good for this but are getting really worn down now, have beat them to death and like the fit though, almost picked the Mavic Furys the other day when they were on sale at competitivecyclist but missed the chance before sold out of my size. from what I have read Mavic and Fizik and am sure others are makeing the toe area in front of the ball of foot a little more flexible while leaving ball back stiff giving a good balance. I figure most of walking in these shoes anyway is up Steep Hike a Bike so you are by default putting a lot of pressure in my toes, learned this lesson when I think I broke my toe less the 20 miles into a 100k race.

To do some research try seeing what people like for cyclocross found some good info on cyclocross websites and reviews.

I had bought some GIro Codes those shoes are stiff great for a 2 hour power session but not for all day with hike a bike.
    XC, Road, XXC, Endurance, Mtn, All-Mtn, Cross, Gravel, just go have fun on 2 wheels!