mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Question re Shorts and Liners interchangability

Forgive me if this has been asked a billion times, but I did not find what I wanted in a search. I was planning on getting a pair of Endura Hummvee shorts for riding. I just scored a Pearl Izumi Liner for a great price. Will the Pearl Izumi liner attach into the Endura shorts? If the attachments are different, I assume the Pearl liner can still be worn with those shorts, correct? Is this a general thing, or are there some brands that play better than others? Thanks

mtbr member
    Many bibs and baggies have compatible clip together systems, however unless you're using a bib type liner you might have better results leaving them un-tethered (the weight of a baggy short or the contents of your pockets can pull your liners down (which prevents the liner from doing it's anti-chafing magic).

We use tethers at the extreme 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the hips, and have had success with Pearl Izumi, Zoic, Fox and of course DirtBaggies baggy shorts, this isn't an exhaustive list of the brands using this position, just the first that came to mind.
    "...DirtBaggies may also be the best baggy mountain bike shorts on the market." Velonews - Click to check out other reviews.

Pay no mind to us...
    I dunno about Endura Hummvee shorts specifically but I use Pearl Izumi liners in my Zoic Black Market shorts and the Zoic liners in my Pearl Izumi Canyons without issue.

I agree with what Tim-ti said in that you can just as easily leave the liner unattached from the short if they aren't simpatico together without effect unless you are lugging rolls of quarters in your short pockets or something like that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Cool, thanks for the replies

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I have one pair of matched liner/shorts from specialized. I wear the shorts untethered all the time with bibs from both Pearl Izumi and Bellwether. No problem at all. I don't really see the need to have them attached anyway like others said. I keep my pockets empty during rides so no worry about them pulling down. Cheers!

Competent User

Question re Shorts and Liners interchangability

I have Humvee shorts and PI liners. You'll be fine. The Humvee liner isn't so bad as long as it's not a super long ride. The PI is a bit better. It won't clip into the shorts, but it'll work fine.