mtbr member
    Sep 2005

A question on helmets

Not sure where to post this besides my trusty MTBR homies...

I need a new helmet for road riding. My Giro Hex is great for woods trail riding, but taking the visor off and riding it on the road shows just how poor the ventilation is. Hell, I took the helmet off for two seconds to get a bug out and it was like the most refreshing thing ever.

Anyways, I have two options, a bell Gage via pricepoint for $70, or a specialized Prevail for $105. The only catch is that the prevail is a women's helmet, technically, but I believe sizing is the same. Neither come with a visor, but supposedly you can fit a propero visor to the Prevail. I would love to be able to snap on a visor for longer MTB rides, as why the hell not?

So, which helmet should I get? The gage for $40 less than the prevail, or the top-end prevail with a visor?

I've tried on the prevail, but not the bell. All of my medium Giro helmets fit me fine.

mtbr member
    (Since no one else replied ...) Maybe just get a better venting mtb helmet? I have a Bell Stoker and ride it on road and off. It vents very well and it's about $70, iirc.

Save Jesus
    Giro Pneumo Road Helmet - Closeout - Normal Shipping Ground

Giro Pneumo from Nashbar.

Fits similar, but not exactly the same as my other medium Giro Animas MTB helmet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by beanbag View Post
    Giro Pneumo Road Helmet - Closeout - Normal Shipping Ground

Giro Pneumo from Nashbar.

Fits similar, but not exactly the same as my other medium Giro Animas MTB helmet.
    nice avatard.

I looked a the p neumo, in fact I tried to order one from Performance...but they told me it was on backorder, never to arrive again, so I cancelled the order. I don't know that performance and nashbar are different, so I didn't bother with nashbar. They charge for shipping as well, which is a bit of a nono for me. Still, with the 20% off, it's a great deal. I'll keep it in mind if the spec falls through....

Which brings me back to...I bought the spec. $105 for a $225 helmet? OK. We'll see if the visor fits, if not...back to the drawring board. This is it, hopefully they didn't put hot pink pads inside: