mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Idea! Quad Cree Q5 helmet light

Just finished making this helmet light for El Beastro to go w/ his Dune Buggy lights I made for him (Dune buggy complete.

• 4 x Cree Q5 leds
    • Quad optic
    • MaxFlex boost driver
    • status light in back

This one was a beotch to make. I think the mount (simple as it looks) was the most painful part.

bi-winning
    Well Done!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Singletrack Daydreamer
    Like the mounting system. Simple, but allows flexibility for aiming. Too many helmet designs neglect the importance of being able to fine-tune the angle of the light after it's mounted on the helmet. A few of my older designs didn't take that into account and now I'm thinking of going back and retrofitting them with a pivot of some kind.
    Train 'til you puke. Cheat to win. Party like a rockstar. We miss you, Jan!

Bigger is better!
    May 2005
    Very good looking - did you polish it after machining?
    What is the outer diameter of the light?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Nice!

Spanish biker
    Wowwwwwwww, what level

Greetings - Saludos

msxtr
    Warning!!! my english is very very bad, sorry.

Easy DIY led light1
    Easy DIY led light2

The Beast!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Some details

The body has been sanded and polished using Turtle Wax rubbing compound. The back part (and most of the the torx screws) came from a hard drive...great source of parts The diameter is about 50mm. Quad lens is from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1915. I'll try post some beam shots later,though they will probably suck because I only have a point and shoot. Oh yeah. The light will be powered by a 11.1V lithium battery pack. It could also run off a 7.4v pack, but 11.1 is more efficient (calculated to be 93%).

mtbr member

Looks really nice!

The light looks great. Where did you get the switch and cover from? I am working on a triple Cree helmet light w/ MaxFlex, and an still researching switches, so any info would be appreciated.

Mark

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

switch...

Thanks. The switch cover is from http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.5728. The switch itself is a left over from a bflex I got (the bflex comes w/ a momentary). I've seen the same switch in digikey. You could also probably find a momentary switch in old electronics, keyboards, mice, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe
    Just finished making this helmet light for El Beastro to go w/ his Dune Buggy lights I made for him (Dune buggy complete.
    Holy Moly this light is freaky deaky bright!!

I just picked it up from Cytoe this morning. Top notch quality and bright as a sun spot.

SCHWEEEETT!!!!

--Beast

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe
    Hi, can you tell me what LEDs you're using behind this optic? I just got the same optic from DX and discovered that 4 Cree stars won't align/fit behind it, without some major filing on their edges. Did you use LEDs on round boards?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I used bare leds. However, in other builds I just trimmed the stars using this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2289712