mtbr member
    Mar 2014

Protective gear for mountain trails

I want to buy gear to help protect me if I fall while on the trails. Most post im finding on google are from years ago and I would guess they have new/better gear since then. I always wear a helmet but rest my body is unprotected. I ride south/southwat texas trails which are full of rocks, cactus and other painful objects.

For sure knee pads, elbow pads and gloves for sure. But what kind and what brand? What gear should I look at. As for price... ill spend the money for quality, fit and protection. Figured if I spend money on quality leathers for motorcycle racing why skimp out on mtb protection.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I am surprised that google doesn't give you good results, because there are tons of really good protection products today. Many good brands.
    Some leading I would say are six six one, race face, and fox. There are others less popular like POC, TLD, alpinestars etc.

One thing you have to watch, that some of those companies make gear for dirt bikes as well, which is different. Make sure you know what you are getting and search this forum for every piece of gear you want to buy. You will be surprised how many results you will get.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Buy what is required for the speed and terrain you ride. I have full pads, but only wear a shin guard on my rt leg to protect my tat for normal riding. A day of more aggressive riding I may wear more gear, most likely you will buy a few sets before you figure out your exact needs.

mtbr member
    I too am in the "gathering gear" mode this year. My ridding speed is increasing and so is my braveness..hehe
    I just crashed this weekend..got some scrapes and twisted my foot up.
    But my elbows are clean as I was wearing G-Force elbow pads. They are light, you can feel the airflow when moving..after couple hours of riding when you stop they feel hot..get moving ahhh air.
    I had a post here and someone said the same technology is being used by another brand..i'll have to look can't recall..
    Anyway for light(I stuffed them in my pocket when doing 2mph climbs) layer that seamed to work give GForce a loot at.
    My crash side pad has a nice scrape along it now. The pad did not slip and my skin is still on my arm...sure wish I wish I owned kneepads..lol soon
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I like the 661 stuff myself. My mentor has POC and loves them. There is a lot of good stuff out there made just for MTBs. Just make sure it feels good when you wear it. If it doesn't feel good you won't wear it. Order of acquisition: Helmet, safety glasses, and gloves before you even ride the first time, knee pads, shin guards (lots of blackberries and Truvativ pedals here in WA), and elbow pads. I am not a real DH guy preferring technical trails so that's probably all I will get. Maybe fore arm guards. Have fun! Slim

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Thanks for all the input. I was able to find a lot of reviews on 661 and Fox products. I ended up going with Fox launch pro pads, gloves and helmet. Found good pricing for them and good reviews. If those don't last I will try 661.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    If you want something without hard shells (i.e. you don't ride lots of rocky/rooty stuff), take a look at some paintball pads. They are specifically designed to hit the ground from full sprints and slide for 10-15 feet. Only downside is almost none of them have shin protection, if you really want that. I've been wearing some Planet Eclipse pads for my MTB stuff for years without issue.

Just a thought.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Petti the Yeti View Post
    If you want something without hard shells (i.e. you don't ride lots of rocky/rooty stuff), take a look at some paintball pads. They are specifically designed to hit the ground from full sprints and slide for 10-15 feet. Only downside is almost none of them have shin protection, if you really want that. I've been wearing some Planet Eclipse pads for my MTB stuff for years without issue.

Just a thought.
    Its all rock/roots where I ride. I almost ate it last weekend which got me thinking of road rash... and no one likes that.

mtbr member
    Protective gear for mountain trails-12tld_knee_guards_5400.pngI have a pair of the Troy Lee Designs 5400 knee pads and they are awesome. I climb (new to clip-ins) and shred in them and I dont even know they are there. Some reviews of them say that they slip but i havent had a single issue with that.