mtbr member

Protection for trail riding

I usually only a wear helmet and gloves for protection, but after a crash hurting my elbow i have decided to try some knee and elbow pads. I am looking at Troy Lee t-bone knee pads and endura mt-500 elbow pads. Are there any better alternatives?
    What about sizing? I am 6'1 and 180 lbs, the t-bones seem to run small, should i get xl?

RideDirt
    I run the Kyle straights for my knees and just picked up some Fox Launch elbow pads, they are true to size and fit snug. I am 5'9'' 200lbs not geared up and i buy L/XL and i workout 4 times a week some im pretty muscular . If anything you can always just return the item for correct sizing !

mtbr member
    How agressive are you riding and over what type of ground.
    Theres lots of alternatives so dont just limit yourself to those.
    Hard plastic shells are good for extremely rocky trails but light neoprean may be enough for light rides.
    D30 gives a good compromise as its light but gives good protection even on rocks, its also flexible so can be rolled up and packed if needs.
    Any pads will boost your confidence after a fall and they also prevent to cuts and bruises from keeping you off the bike.
    Decide on the type of protection you need and then shop around for fit & price.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by 426h View Post
    I usually only a wear helmet and gloves for protection, but after a crash hurting my elbow i have decided to try some knee and elbow pads. I am looking at Troy Lee t-bone knee pads and endura mt-500 elbow pads. Are there any better alternatives?
    What about sizing? I am 6'1 and 180 lbs, the t-bones seem to run small, should i get xl?
    I'm kind of in the same boat.

I'm looking at the 661 EVO pads with the d3o tech. The idea of the non-neutonian material seems like the right move for a XC pad; not the ultimate level of protection or a hard cap, but hopefully flexible enough that you wont always be tempted to leave them home. SixSixOne Evo Knee Pad - Video Demonstrations for a video explaining the d3o.

The MTB sponsor with the banners all over the place "XSports Protective" seems to have decent pricing. But their inventory doesn't sync up with the 661 web site. Looks like maybe they're transitioning from 2011 to 2012. Huck and roll has the elbow pads for $20 cheaper but no knee pads at all.

At your size you can probably fit the "lite" version of the d30 pad. My legs are too large (fat) for the largest lite pad, so I'm more looking at the normal version. XSports has some sizing chart that provides leg and arm measurements.

mtbr member
    See this if you want to see D30 in action
    Smack Me On The Head With A Shovel! - YouTube

mtbr member
    I ended up with the Troy Lee knee pads and endura elbow pads, which btw has the same soft padding material which hardens on impact. POC has had the same kind of material for years, but I find their fit to be bad.
    Just wanted to share that the pads are very comfy and the fit was just right for me. After 5 minutes of riding you donīt even notice the pads. After only a few rides, i obviously cannot comment on durability or crash protection, but I canīt complain on comfort.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I ended up with the POC VPD pads; Elbow and Knee. At 6'1" and 265 the pads barely fit, but they do fit. The VPD is a bit stiff at winter temperatures till your body warms them up. But they are very comfortable to ride in. The warmth in the knees is pretty welcome this time of year, but I'm sure it will be different in the summer.

Haven't wrecked in them yet, but its quite obvious that they will be MUCH better than nothing. Overall I'd have to say they're a good choice for start to finish pads for XC use.

RideDirt
    Nice choice on the pads !

mtbr member
    After around 10 rides, the seams started to go up on my endura elbow pads. They definitely need to look for another producer in china or wherever they produce their ****.
    Still very happy with my Troy Lee t-bone knee pads tho. Super comfy and good protection .