mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Protection against poison oak

I don't want to wear knee-high socks. But some people do.

Sometimes it's too hot to wear leg warmers, even the thinnest type, which I have.

It seems the slightest little "splash" while riding and I get a rash.

What other options?

mtbr member
    I would think the spandex compression "sleeves" or high socks are about as light and effective as your gonna get. I wear the Pearl Izumi sun guards on my arms for that exact reason, so far no ivy rash.

turtles make me hot
    I just douse myself in Tecnu immediately after a ride. Been workin' so far.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    For me, a long shower ASAP after a ride works best. You need to be sure to rinse well and get all of the oils off of your skin. From what I've read soap doesn't break up poison ivy/oak oils so it doesn't make any difference.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    There has to be a better name brand than Spandex as my gonna get.

Technu is a good suggestion. I've never heard of it before. Maybe that's what my gonna get because sometimes I ride trails many hours from home.

turtles make me hot
    I slather it (Tecnu) on like sunscreen when I return to my truck like sunscreen. Then I take a cool shower when I get home.
    Must be workin' because normally, I look like I rolled in a brush fire.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    If that's your gonna get, then that's my gonna get, too.

mtbr member

Twice this year already...

I've gotten PO twice this year already. I keep a bottle of Techno in the car for afterwards but only use it if I know I hit some. Apparently my Ninja skills aren't good enough as I got PO on my forearm and didn't know it till it was too late. I ride with the white Sun Arm things now.

Then... I was with a buddy and went through some PO and knew I hit it with my legs. Problem was that we shuttled and used his truck. Techno was in my car over an hour away. Too late. Got it on my calf.

Now I'm exploring those compression things that cover your calfs since that's where I got it... I haven't got one yet but have seen them on the REI website.

mtbr member

Protection against poison oak

As mentioned the best prevention is immediate washing. And by immediate I mean a soon as possible from the second your feet hit the ground. During the nasty months I keep a spare water bottle, towel, and Dawn dish detergent in the car. I've tried every brand of cleanser, and provided you wash quickly Dawn is as effective as anything. It's actually what the EPA uses to clean wildlife covered in oil after tanker spills.

One other option is a preventative ointment called Ivy Block. It's supposed to form a chemical barrier that prevents absorption of the nasty oak oil by your skin. Google it, but I found it to be crazy expensive, with thorough and immediate washing being best for me.

God luck. The evil weed sucks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    This stuff works OK if you apply it beforehand. It kinda looks like you put sunscreen on (white cream) heavily and didn't completely wipe it in/off.
    IvyBlock - Home

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    IvyBlock is exactly what I'm researching (and physically searching for which local store carries it). I'm thinking that some type of preventative solution is better than post haste. I've been using at least two damp towels on my legs after each ride one soaked in dishwashing soap (any brand), and a larger one for a rinse wipe.

But the latest rash I got occurred where I had never thought! You miss a spot on your skin and maybe dust carrying the Urushiol flies in.

mtbr member
    I've tried covering up my legs with socks and I still got it bad if not worse. My best guess is that the oils mixed with sweat and with the socks rubbing against my skin caused it to irritate more easily. I've given up and now use a mixture of avoidance and showering right away when I get in. I use shop hand cleaner on my shins.