mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Propper Neck Brace

I'm going to be doing a lot of down hill biking this spring and summer and after reading:
    Leatt Neck Braces - THE REVIEW YOU MUST READ. - Pinkbike.com

I am convinced that wearing a neck brace isn't a bad idea.

After checking out a lot of the World Cup vidoes, I figured Leatte was the way to go.

I shot a quick email to a buddy of mine that makes Moto gear about getting a similar brace and he turned me onto this:

EVS R4 Race Collar Details - YouTube

Thoughts?

Rider
    I am looking into the same one, looks like a great value. I have not seen many reviews on it yet though.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    After a lot of reading, I think I am going to Leatt for the simple reason that the Leatt does a better job at protecting your spine. 100+ world up riders can't be wrong lol

Uphill? What's that
    Alpinestars bionic neck brace is also a very good choice..

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    i just ordered the EVS R4 Race Collar like 2 days ago. its the cheapest and lightest

Uphill? What's that
    Quote Originally Posted by rockey mtn View Post
    i just ordered the EVS R4 Race Collar like 2 days ago. its the cheapest and lightest
    Glad to see Evs come out with an affordable brace. I hope it is as effective as the more expensive braces on the market. Lite and cheap are good but safety is most important.

Rider
    Anyone have some ride time on the new evs?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob-Bob View Post
    Glad to see Evs come out with an affordable brace. I hope it is as effective as the more expensive braces on the market. Lite and cheap are good but safety is most important.
    While I do agree with you that safety is most important I also think that 100$ brace is probably better than no brace at all... A lot of people will back off from buying more expensive (and probably better quality) one because they simply can't afford it. It seems to me that EVS R4 brace will at least help a lot, even if it MIGHT not provide the same level of protection it sure won't make things worse...
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    Statistically neck fractures are very rare for MTBers, even DHers. For one season at Whistler Bike Park, the gnarliest DH venue there is, only 0.2% of patients had neck fractures. That is 0.2% of people who were injured enough to go to the clinic or hospital.

Compare that 11.2% of those patients suffering traumatic brain injuries despite 100% helmet usage.

A neck brace is the LAST piece of protective gear I would purchase. If you are buying a neck brace before a mouth guard, wrist guards, forearm/elbow guards, and just about anything else, you are spending your money foolishly.

The way you hear people talk about neck braces, it is the next thing to buy after a helmet and gloves. That is retarded.
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SummitAP View Post
    If you are buying a neck brace before a mouth guard, wrist guards, forearm/elbow guards, and just about anything else, you are spending your money foolishly.
    Absolutely true, though, as you progress your riding and start doing gnarlier things, I guess you buy your protective gear accordingly, neck brace should be just the next logical step...
    What we do in life, echoes in eternity...

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    I am not arguing against braces. I am arguing against buying a $100-$700 piece of protective gear that may or may not prevent what is nearly the rarest type of injury in MTB unless you are wearing all the other cheaper armor that prevents much more common injuries.

If you are doing inverted airs in the dirt park, that is another story.
    Lacerations through intact armor are a mark of talent... or stupid... or both...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Statistically neck fractures are very rare for MTBers, even DHers. For one season at Whistler Bike Park, the gnarliest DH venue there is, only 0.2% of patients had neck fractures. That is 0.2% of people who were injured enough to go to the clinic or hospital.

Compare that 11.2% of those patients suffering traumatic brain injuries despite 100% helmet usage.

A neck brace is the LAST piece of protective gear I would purchase. If you are buying a neck brace before a mouth guard, wrist guards, forearm/elbow guards, and just about anything else, you are spending your money foolishly.

The way you hear people talk about neck braces, it is the next thing to buy after a helmet and gloves. That is retarded.
    Where do you get your stats from?
    are you saying .2% of riders or .2% of riders who got injured suffer a neck injury?

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by murrdogg11 View Post
    Where do you get your stats from?
    are you saying .2% of riders or .2% of riders who got injured suffer a neck injury?
    2009 Whistler Bike Park study
    Elsevier

Of DH riders who were injured enough to have immediate medical attention, only 0.2% had neck fractures (2 of 898).

13.6% Shoulder Fx (includes clavicle)
    12.1% Wrist Fx
    11.2% Traumatic Brain Injury
    4.7% Hand/fingers Fx
    4.1% Elbow Fx
    0.2% Neck Fx

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Lots of neck brace discussion on the dirt bike / MX forums. Just recently purchased a brace for dirt bike trail riding. Went into my local moto shop that carried the Leatt, Alpinestar & 2 EVS braces (RC3 & RC4). Of the fancy braces the Leatt had a really nice fit. The Aplinestar may have needed some adjusting ??? The RC4 felt like I had a toilet seat around my neck. In all fairness I later found that the EVS required a harness to secure - didn't want to even try that. I actually ended up w/ the RC3 which is a soft brace that connects to a chest protector. I would have gone Leatt if I were riding MX. If I were purchasing a DH brace I'd look into the DH specific Leatt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Perhaps neck injuries are rare, but I dont agree with your theory. Mouth gaurds and body armor protect you from things that your body will most likely recover from,
    However if you break your neck you're not coming back.
    Although the chance may be rare, the fear of this is enough for my consideration to buy a brace.

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    Although the chance may be rare, the fear of this is enough for my consideration to buy a brace.
    That just means you are human. Humans suck at risk analysis because it is usually about our emotions: fear of a risk rather than the actual risk.

If I spent $250-700 preparing for each deadly but extremely rare possibility, I'd be broke in a day.

Neck fractures are not usually a death sentence nor are they necessarily a sentence of paralysis. Nobody died and only one of the 2 had paralysis. There is no evidence to show that a neck brace could have prevented these injuries (can you find me independent peer reviewed studies that they actually prevent neck fractures?). But let's just say neck braces are effective and weigh other risks and mitigation.

Body armor might prevent life altering injuries to the chest, abdomen, thoracic spine, etc. In the study, 85 patients needed to be transferred to tertiary hospital from the Whistler clinic or the mountainside. Only 1-2 of 85 critical injuries was a neck injury. 9 were taken by helicopter, but only one of those was a neck injury.

What if you have a traumatic brain injury? Depending on the severity, you may never fully recover. It could kill you. It can have major short and long term effects on your cognitive abilities, not to mention headaches that can last for months. You might not be able to do your job as well, or handling bikign as well. Having one of these predisposes you to having them again with worse outcomes. According to the Whistler study, a Traumatic Brain Injury is ONE HUNDRED TIMES more likely than a paralyzing neck injury. So, do you drop $400 or $500 on a better helmet?

What if you have a wrist fracture? Medical bills, no riding, and probably no employment. Depending on the fracture type, you could be unable to fully use that hand for months (as with a very common fracture: scaphoid which often requires surgery). There could be long term disability. A pair of EVS wrist braces will run you $25.

Risk = Hazard * Exposure

Cost effectiveness = dRisk / cost of mitigation
    Last edited by SummitAP; 07-17-2012 at 01:03 AM.

mtbr member
    I broke my neck once, then bought a Leatt because i can't afford to brake it again.
    I am one of the (very) lucky guys who had a full recovery without major problems afterwards (a few itching spots in my arms/wrists).
    picture of the fracture

I think its foolish to call people retarded because they have other priorities than you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    It's actually pretty interesting to read opinions here (which, lets be honest, is more of a XC and enduro forum) and Pinkbike (a mostly downhill forum).

The opinions here are mixed

The PB consensus is that it is a must.

Keep that in mind.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    That just means you are human. Humans suck at risk analysis because it is usually about our emotions: fear of a risk rather than the actual risk.

If I spent $250-700 preparing for each deadly but extremely rare possibility, I'd be broke in a day.

Neck fractures are not usually a death sentence nor are they necessarily a sentence of paralysis. Nobody died and only one of the 2 had paralysis. There is no evidence to show that a neck brace could have prevented these injuries (can you find me independent peer reviewed studies that they actually prevent neck fractures?). But let's just say neck braces are effective and weigh other risks and mitigation.

Body armor might prevent life altering injuries to the chest, abdomen, thoracic spine, etc. In the study, 85 patients needed to be transferred to tertiary hospital from the Whistler clinic or the mountainside. Only 1-2 of 85 critical injuries was a neck injury. 9 were taken by helicopter, but only one of those was a neck injury.

What if you have a traumatic brain injury? Depending on the severity, you may never fully recover. It could kill you. It can have major short and long term effects on your cognitive abilities, not to mention headaches that can last for months. You might not be able to do your job as well, or handling bikign as well. Having one of these predisposes you to having them again with worse outcomes. According to the Whistler study, a Traumatic Brain Injury is ONE HUNDRED TIMES more likely than a paralyzing neck injury. So, do you drop $400 or $500 on a better helmet?

What if you have a wrist fracture? Medical bills, no riding, and probably no employment. Depending on the fracture type, you could be unable to fully use that hand for months (as with a very common fracture: scaphoid which often requires surgery). There could be long term disability. A pair of EVS wrist braces will run you $25.

Risk = Hazard * Exposure

Cost effectiveness = dRisk / cost of mitigation
    Yes, i am willing to spend more money on a good helmet with lots of protection....bought a d3.

Yes body armor is important, i wear that too..

A wrist fracture would suck, yes, but can be repaired. wrist gaurds are a good idea, sure.

if 1/450 serious mountain bike crashes are serious cervical spine damage, i dont think i'd like to roll the dice on not being able to walk, ride a bike or hold my children.

Too Close To The Hill
    Jun 2007
    Yes, i am willing to spend more money on a good helmet with lots of protection....bought a d3.

Yes body armor is important, i wear that too..

A wrist fracture would suck, yes, but can be repaired. wrist gaurds are a good idea, sure
    Well, if you are going all out, I can't argue against that!

The thing that blows my mind is seeing someone with only a low end helmet, a Leatt, and some gloves. That seems like a poor way to spend. We are all free to make our own choices.