Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Stand-up philosopher

prescription glasses for biking

does anyone have any recommendations on prescription frames for mountain biking? I've been just using my crappy spare pair of glasses, but they don't stay on very well on rough trails and don't offer much protection from debris.

I have to wear glasses. I have a contacts prescription, but they irritate my eyes so i rarely ever get contacts. astigmatism sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have been struggling with the same issues, hopefully someone will chime in with a good answer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i went to my local walmart and got liberty sport prescription sunglasses. has been really holding up well and has never fallen off while riding, it's been 8 months.

Stand-up philosopher
    What was the cost of the frames? My biggest problem with sunglasses is that i have really thick lenses because of my astigmatism. Most frames won't work or look right with my lenses.

--
    Stephen
    --
    stephen

no one can appreciate the poor misunderstood

mtbr member
    Not cheap, but this is what I would ge
    Oakley Prescription Lenses | Oakley.com

mtbr member
    I recommend Smith Optics. They're based in Salt Lake and have a great warranty/return policy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just went to Walmart and saw those Liberty glasses. They look decent for the price, so I'll be getting them soon. Sure Oakley's and other high end brands are fine, but such a rip off since you're pretty much paying for the brand. Im an aggressive rider and dont really care about about anything other than functionality. I like how some people look good on the mountain with their fancy gear, and can't even climb or ride worth crap.

Give it a crank
    Try Zenni Optical prescription goggle frames, they have a huge selection of frames and many lens options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeronimus View Post
    Sure Oakley's and other high end brands are fine, but such a rip off since you're pretty much paying for the brand.
    That is not, necessarily, always the case. In respect to Smith Optics, you're paying for a lifetime warranty and high quality materials (all lenses are not created equal). Also, they have a replacement policy that allows you to send in an old pair and purchase a new pair for 60% off MSRP. Lastly, Smith (and Oakley) are American owned companies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a pair of oakleys that I bought through their military discount program. Basically 60% off retail. They will do rx lenses. If you know someone in the military or maybe even law enforcement then ask them to buy you a pair. Well worth the money when you just pay wholesale.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member

Rec Spec Bikers

Don't know the price, my insurance paid for 'em. I have the matte black. They are flexible,
    and fit close to your face. I wear them for road, and MTB. Great for biking and everyday wear.

Rec Specs Biker Sunglasses

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Try Zenni Optical prescription goggle frames, they have a huge selection of frames and many lens options.
    Ill second zenni. They are pretty decent for a cheap pair (less than 20 bucks). However the other guys are right, we are way better off to get the higher quality glasses that are from US companies. Dollars dont stay at home when we shop Walmart (or zenni for that matter)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I agree on made in the US. But I'd buy it if it makes sense, price-wise. I'd rather splurge on parts for my bike, or maybe save for another bike. The $60 Walmart glasses work for my 2x a week trail riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got a pair of Serengeti Summits from an independent eye doctor. They've been great - good wrap around, works well with a somewhat heavy astigmatism prescription. Look decent enough and stay in place riding rough terrain.

Stand-up philosopher
    thanks for all of the suggestions.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Actually just went through this when I broke my costco glasses.

Framesdirect.com has one or two oakley frames 'on sale' they will make with rx lenses and ship for under$250 (if you choose a clear lens) , they will make ti ray ban aviators with polycarbonate lenses for around 180 ...

I wound up going with 39dollarglasses.com, ordered two pairs of made in the usa ti framed rx glasses (one with my choice of sunglass lens, lots of customizable different lens options) both lenses were scratch/glare resistant polycarbonate and I just typed in my rx and that was that. Total for two pairs shipped was ~$180! Took about 8 working days to make and ship.

Haven't received em yet so will post pics when I do
    I can post links too when I get on my cpu and off my phone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Oakley, expensive but worth the cost. Some frames have a max strenght perscription they can hold. I have the flak jackets and at the max end of the rx lense it can hold. My doc said the frames that go around the entire lense dont have those stipulations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I usually get mine here:

Buy Prescription Eyeglasses Online | Mens Womens Fashion | EyeBuyDirect.com

Zenni Optical is also OK I've also ordered from them but eyebuydirect has faster shipping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What about sweat? I have ridden with all kinds of eye wear (Tag Huer, Oakley, RayBan, Costco, Walmart) and they all fog out. I want a progressive lense in a frame/configuration that has optimum ventilation.

Anybody have a suggestion for that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have used Smith and Oakley. Loved both. Both fogged. Never was an insurmountable issue. Last year my prescription got too thick for those brands to accommodate. Got hooked in to some Ray Bans. Just plain garden variety Ray Bans. Like the former wayfarer, but the new version. They are made of this great non-slip material. They don't fog and they don't slowly slide down my nose, even with my heavy lenses. They are awesome more than words can express. I will be using them from now on. Knock on wood.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First off, you want SPORT frames. I wear mine biking, skiing and driving, My Costa del mar shades never fall off.
    As far as sweat goes, I live in Tucson and it's not a problem here, with the shades. Now the rest of your body here in summer...
    agmtb

con
    mtbr member
    I have these, made by Liberty, called the biker. The have a non-slip rubber coating on the bridge/nose piece and at the rear on the temple tips. They stay on very well and I use them when on my bicycles and my motorcycles.

mtbr member
    Nike 7060 (actually brought my full face helmet into the optical to try this frame on) with polycarbonate Drivewear lenses with backside anti-reflection coating. I haven't actually been on a trail with them yet but so far, I'm VERY impressed with the lenses. I've had 6 different Oakleys (9 lens colors), two Nikes (3 lens colors), regular brown Transition lenses, polarized yellow (shooting/hunting) lenses, clear anti-reflection lenses, clear non-AR lenses and brown polarized sunglasses; I don't think any of these will be even close to the visual quality of the Drivewear.

One question mark (which won't get clarified until I can actually ride with them) is how they're going to handle woodsy/shadowy areas while still having sunlight coming through the leaves/branches/etc (i.e. are they going to be too dark for those situations).

P.S. I added the links
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rudy Project products have been working great for me. Worth a look for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I second Oakleys. I have a set of their frames for clear lenses and wear them riding. They stay in place better than normal glasses because instead of sitting on top of your ear they hug the side of your head. I've never had an issue with them moving, even during falls.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Just because it hasn't been said, yet, a LOT of the price of the high-end glasses are due to the lens quality (said already) but primarily in the Polarization of their sunglass lenses. Maui Jims, Oakley, Smith, etc. have very, very good Polarized lenses. This is what you are paying for... their Polarized technology made into prescription lenses.

If you think about it, they mass-produce their non-scrip lenses and they compose about 70% of the total cost of their glasses. Then, when you ask them to produce a similar lens based on a limited number of prescription needs, the price goes thru the roof. My Maui Jims were something like $400. That is freaking ridiculous. But, I do a ton of fly fishing and good polarized lenses are very important to me and my insurance paid for a large chunk of that $400.

For Mtn Bking, your best off trying to find a pair of sport frames and just having them made with clear or yellow lenses in your script. you can always add one of those elastic bands to them if the slip around a little bit. I cannot see the need for high-end polarized lenses for mtn biking. Just my $0.02

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I own a pair of Adidas Evil Eye Pro and I they do a really good job. The lens are easy to swap out. I'm blind so I needed a prescription insert and this is what my local vision shop said to give a try.

mtbr member
    It can be hard to balance wanting good prescription sports glasses with the bells and whistles against the cost. But I figured they could also be ok 'driving glasses' and backups to my regular glasses, as well as my shooting glasses so it helped in swallowing the cost. So I chose Panoptx Sevens. They are a little like goggles, in that they have that rubbery material around the inside, but they are shaped like regular glasses. And they don't fit really close to my face so they still vent ok. I like the extra protection from flying stuff, and there is nothing like being able to see really well when going fast.

I got the full tilt; Crizal, Teflon, Transitions. My insurance picked up everything but those extras. My first commute to work in the dark was a revelation, as I have astigmatism and things go multi-image (one headlight looks like a 6 pointed star). So worth the money. With my designer regular glasses with all the goodies, and computer/reading glasses for work, the total was over 1300 bucks. Man I could get a really nice wheelset with that kind of money. {{Sigh}}

Being able to look ahead and really see the stuff on the trail at a distance is priceless.
    Tzvia.

mtbr member
    I wear Oakley myself. They seem to block the wind which keeps my eyes from tearing. I have clear lenses and tinted lenses. but i prefer not to wear polarized lenses while riding. I do wear polarized while driving but not while riding. While Oakley does make awesome Rx sunglasses it is limited on powers. Keep in mind a lot of cheap lenses will have a lot of peripheral distortion. Newer technology, digital processing does wonders at eliminating it. Oakley can also do higher rx's in their traditional frames with their sun lenses. RayBan does make Rx lenses for their sunglasses also as does Maui Jim. Liberty sports goggles/glasses are an inexpensive alternative.

N/A
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by drwx View Post
    does anyone have any recommendations on prescription frames for mountain biking? I've been just using my crappy spare pair of glasses, but they don't stay on very well on rough trails and don't offer much protection from debris.

I have to wear glasses. I have a contacts prescription, but they irritate my eyes so i rarely ever get contacts. astigmatism sucks.
    Been wearing prescription Oakley's for 15 years - best piece of bike gear I've ever purchased. No bike, suspension, tire, whatever has added as much value to my riding as a good set of glasses. My prescription is out of range of what Oakley normally sells but you can get stronger lenses from a good independent lab.

A couple years ago I tried some Liberty Sport glasses but they sucked. Were great at first but they fell apart quickly (the nose piece apparently disolves with sunscreen & sweat) and would fly off my face in a crash. And they weren't that much cheaper than Oakley's anyway.

mtbr member
    Great post! I was wondering the same thing for glasses. How about progressive lenses for biking?

mtbr member
    If your use to wearing progressive lenses why not as it would allow you to see any bar mounted electronics. It really depends on the individual and the Rx. If a normal progressive causes you problems you could use a short fit progressive that would allow you to push the progressive down lower and avoid a lot of distortion in the peripheral. And still be able to read or see something up close. I've made a lot of specialty glasses over the last 20 years. If you have specific questions on different lenses I am a Licensed optician and offer my 2 cents.

Stand-up philosopher
    i'm probably going to take the suggestion of zenni optical. they are cheap and get the job done. i have been in the habit of wearing my backup pair of glasses on the trail. my prescription has been stable for 2 years now, so i can probably get away with buying several pairs of cheapo glasses for things like grass cutting and bike riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I also have Rudy Projects. They have been to me as well.
    http://teamalchemist.com/
    http://blog.teamalchemist.com/
    Custom Cycling Jerseys, Merino Wool Jerseys, Organic T-shirts

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by teamfour View Post
    Great post! I was wondering the same thing for glasses. How about progressive lenses for biking?
    Do you ride a lot of technical trails with obstacles? If so, I'd try to avoid the progressives. If you absolutely need a bifocal when out riding, consider getting a lined bifocal and setting it real low in the lens so it doesn't interfere with the impending rock ledge. It won't be the most functional but it'll be there to check the GPS, pull the thorn out of the tire, etc.

Steve
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.
    Current HTFU status: 4/10; increasing

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just got a pair of Rudy Project Rydons with progressive lenses. Have been riding with my regular progressive glasses for years. Progressive lenses are always expensive and the sunglasses cost no more than my regular glasses. I am farsighted.
    Only had the glasses 3 days and trying to get used to them. My regular glasses make things look slightly bigger than they really are, the Rudy's make things look huge. I guess it is because there is more curve to the glass. Wonder if anyone else has noticed this, and do you get used to it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Do you ride mostly in the sunshine or in woods that block out much of the light?

In the lower light conditions, you may want to take a look at prescription amber lense shooting glasses. I wear some inexpensive wrap-around shooters (non-prescription since I've had Lasix) for most of my riding and love em.

mtbr member

Zenni Optical FTW

Quote Originally Posted by danguskhan View Post
    Ill second zenni. They are pretty decent for a cheap pair (less than 20 bucks). However the other guys are right, we are way better off to get the higher quality glasses that are from US companies. Dollars dont stay at home when we shop Walmart (or zenni for that matter)
    Take my advice, go to Zenni Optical , put the 50% yellow tint in one of the many sweet plastic frames, done.

My frames were 16 bucks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbie View Post
    I recommend Smith Optics. They're based in Salt Lake and have a great warranty/return policy.
    Ketchum, ID. Great service, great product, great warranty

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Heres my 2 cents... Let me start off by saying I bought these with the idea of using them for a lot of different sports and activities. I MTB, road ride,kayak, fish and use them as safety glasses as well. I purchased Bolle Parole's for around $60. I paid around $20 for the prescription insert and had it filled through my insurance. The frames came with 3 sets of lenses and I added clear and polarized to them. My thought here is the insert is always protected. If the frames are damaged its $60 to replace them. When the lenses get scratched its $20 to replace them. I have 2 pairs using the oldest pair for kayaking/surf skiing as its done in saltwater along with fishing.
    Of course if I lose them thats another story.......
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member
    From the NY Times:
    "Most optical stores have a huge markup on frames, in the range of 50 percent to 100 percent....
    ...the frames carry fat profit margins, the real money for the retailer is in the lenses. There the markup can be three to seven times the wholesale price."

Source: Do-It-Yourself Eyeglass Shopping on the Internet - New York Times

Good info here too: Online Eyeglasses: How it works. | GlassyEyes

turtles make me hot
    Dopey me. Posted almost exactly the same thing three weeks later.
    Last edited by NYrr496; 03-26-2012 at 10:53 AM.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    go for Rudy Project, there are a lot of choices sport glasses with clip on prescription.

I'm using Rudy Project Swifty with clip on prescription, and I love this...

turtles make me hot
    I wear Wiley X Bricks. A pair with clear lenses at night and I have grey polarized for daylight rides. They stay put great.
    The clear ones were 177 complete in my prescription and the dark ones were around 300.
    Prescription Safety Glasses | Prescription Safety Eyewear | Bifocal Safety Glasses | Rx Safety
    I got them here.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Hey everyone I'm an Optician so hopefully I can help you guys out. The best solution for anyone is to find an active pair of sunglasses frames since those are light and hold onto your face. They can all be Rx'd at a local Optometrists office. I don't suggest ordering frames online as a few measurements are needed to be taken before cutting lenses that aren't taken into account online.

For those of you with with a high RX I suggest a higher index and smaller lens to cut down on lens thickness. This varies on whether or not you are plus or minus. Also I can't stress this enough but purchase at least a poly-carbonate lens material for safety as it is durable and shatters for less than plastic CR-39.

Now on the subject of tint. I am in the process of experimenting with colors as I just got into mountain biking so my input on this is limited. Top three colors are grey, yellow, and amber. Tint percentage varies greatly on location and brightness. This is where transitions work perfect as they can be clear when not activated and have a moderate tint when activated. They also have an active transition which has a slight tint when not activated and a dark tint when exposed to UV light. Transitions are great for somebody who rides through both shaded areas and non shaded areas during a ride.

Frames vary from person to person and you should always consult your optician before purchasing a frame to be RX'd.

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Dms1818 View Post
    Don't know the price, my insurance paid for 'em. I have the matte black. They are flexible,
    and fit close to your face. I wear them for road, and MTB. Great for biking and everyday wear.

Rec Specs Biker Sunglasses

lol I bought my M frame "array" (aka 3 lenses one frame in a case) from a military guy for much less... still had the sticker from the PX for $170 on it when I got it...

sorry not much help as i've been in contacts for nearly 2/3s of my life now... but I have had good experiance with zenni optical so I wouldn't hessitate to try them out
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just wanted to mention that if you can wear contact lenses, they are the way to go. I am extremely nearsignted and and it is so nice to not have to wear coke bottle lenses. I should have bifocals, but if I can't read while biking, I don't really care. I can still read my computer OK.

They are cheap enough now that even if you get them only for biking it will still be an inexpensive solution. Even contacts that correct for astigmatism aren't that expensive. I get the 30-day-wear disposables, approved for overnight wear, but rarely actually wear them while sleeping on the recomendation of several optometrists. Very comfortable, no adjustment period for me. After a few secons you can't even feel them.

The exam costs a little more, but if you pay for a contact lens exam, they write you a prescription glasses as well.

mtbr member
    I've been in the same boat as well. Then the other day, I thought I should try my work safety rx glasses.
    After a 3 hour ride yesterday, I know what works for me. The UVEX Genesis with rx Carrier. They aren't super cool, but super cheap and comfortable. So I am going to check out the Genesis X2 and XC for riding.

Cheers.

btx
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Anyone happen to try he Bolle Vortex? I can get them for about 200 thru insurance and they will work with my mega huge prescription.

Powered by Pulvoron
    Rudy Project Horus.. I had those before lasix.
    FilipinoMafia - Ohio Chapter

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by btx View Post
    Anyone happen to try he Bolle Vortex? I can get them for about 200 thru insurance and they will work with my mega huge prescription.

Do the prescription lenses snap into the outer shield on those? If it's like that, I had an earlier version of those and liked them very much.
    I like turtles

conjoinicorned
    thanks everyone for this thread!

i've just ordered some cheapies from Zenni Optical, i'll try them out before i drop $500 on some oakleys LOL

would be nice to ditch the contacts!
    what would rainbow unicorn do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Bicycle Glasses Prescription Cycling Eyewear Oakley Sunglasses Rudy Project : Bicyclerx.com

My heavy prescription (-7.25 for both eyes).... severely limits my choices

mtbr member
    During my motorcycling days, I had sports shades with a prescription adapter. I also used it in other sports that I was into. You can check it out at w-w-w.kontrolsports.com/style_collection This forum site won't allow me to post links yet. Kontrol products are affordable.

I am not sure how to get these here in the US yet but I think they have an ebay store. Look for it in their website. They have a cool animation too on how the prescription adapter works.

I hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Great post, I was just at my eye doctor yesterday and the only choices they had for sunglasses either looked like a motorcycle cop or Roy Orbison. Now I have lots of choices to search thru, thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I too am part of the Oakley band wagon and rock prescription fitted jawbones.

I bit the bullet and got a prescription put on a pair of transition lenses. Mind you they set me back a mint - almost 3x the cost of the frames!

But if you're as blind as a bat like me, they were totally worth it. They turned into my everyday pair (I'm a school teacher so wearing em to work isn't that big a deal).

PS - I also tie a bandana over the glasses as a second measure so the glasses don't move around. It also doubles to keep my helmet relatively clean off all the sweat while riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I went with the Oakley Jawbones as well, but wound up buying just the frame from a dealer on ebay for cheap, and then got the lenses from my eye doctor. Best investment I've made. They have no issues falling off, only get a little annoying at times with fogging up in the cold but there are plenty of remedies for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Haven't read the whole thread but I'll say Rudy Project. They have awesome frames and cool lenses. I have the Rydons with two sets of lenses, a racing red for road riding, and a photochromatic clear for mountain biking. They are very durable, light, and comfortable. Probably have to order through your local dealer/optometrist but support local business!!

Patrick

mtbr member
    May 2012

High Dollar, but Rudy Projects can be great no-compromise

They have about 8 frame styles that they can make wrap-around prescription lenses for. They have limits as far as correction strength, colors, etc, but they aren't as limited as you may think.

If they can cover your needs, and you have the money, they're about as good as it gets for cycling prescription options. Also, if you have a good Health Savings Account, it should be an allowed medical expense; that's how I got mine.

I tried two or three different insert systems, but nothing compares to a real wrap-around prescription. I like them so much, I'm getting a second set of prescrition lenses (they're interchangable). I already have polarized brown/amber with mirroring, but now I'm getting clear with grey transitions lenses. Should cover me in all lighting conditions, including night riding.

Antagonist
    I've had a set of Smith baseline squares that I've really liked for a number of years now. Had an issue with an abrasion in one eye, so I need keep my contacts out for awhile. Smith doesn't appear to sell the lenses on their site. Is this just something I'd hit a local optometrist (Austin) about?

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by spill View Post
    I've had a set of Smith baseline squares that I've really liked for a number of years now. Had an issue with an abrasion in one eye, so I need keep my contacts out for awhile. Smith doesn't appear to sell the lenses on their site. Is this just something I'd hit a local optometrist (Austin) about?
    Smith Optics Sunglasses

Try these guys. I see Smith in the menu. I get my Wiley Xs from them.
    I like turtles

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I bought my titanium frame plastic lens prescription glasses at Walmart. They're light, almost indestructible, and with my helmet strap probably helping I've never had a problem. A lot of that may be because of the light weight. I thought the name of the frame was in itsy bitsy print but when I looked with a magnifying glass it said "frame China" - what the hell, that's Walmart for you.

mtbr member
    What about needing interchangeable lenses??? I need at least clear and the rose color. I have a strong scrip as well.
    I love my bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by snaqtime View Post
    What about needing interchangeable lenses??? I need at least clear and the rose color. I have a strong scrip as well.
    My Walmart glasses are a pretty light prescription, progressive lenses, and get darker in sunlight. I think the "auto shade" (if that's what they call it) can be had in rose or grey, I chose grey.

Can't recall anything at Walmart, or Kaiser HMO, that had interchangeable lenses.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by client_9 View Post
    Take my advice, go to Zenni Optical , put the 50% yellow tint in one of the many sweet plastic frames, done.

My frames were 16 bucks!

I have a question about the 50% tint. Do you find it's too bright when you're riding out in the open in full sun?

I've never owned a yellow tint pair of glasses before and I'm on the fence about ordering one with 50% tint. I think it would be nice to have in the shaded woods. But, 20-30% of my riding is open field in full sun. I don't want to come back with a raging headache or anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Maybe a little bright but your eyes should adjust. I used to wear 50% yellow tint when flying (supposedly increased contrast and visibility - so I could see an asteroid coming toward my Cessna). They were kind of nice for outdoors stuff.

MC Hammer
    Has anyone tried putting prescriptions in Oakley M-frames? I just spoke with an Oakley dealer and it can be done. but it requires a cut-out since the M has a one piece lens. I'm just curious to see if anyone here has experience with it

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteramey View Post
    Maybe a little bright but your eyes should adjust. I used to wear 50% yellow tint when flying (supposedly increased contrast and visibility - so I could see an asteroid coming toward my Cessna). They were kind of nice for outdoors stuff.
    Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Give it a crank
    Quote Originally Posted by marpilli View Post
    I have a question about the 50% tint. Do you find it's too bright when you're riding out in the open in full sun?

I've never owned a yellow tint pair of glasses before and I'm on the fence about ordering one with 50% tint. I think it would be nice to have in the shaded woods. But, 20-30% of my riding is open field in full sun. I don't want to come back with a raging headache or anything.
    I tried a 50% green on that same frame from Zenni and it is a bit on the bright side outdoors, too bright for driving. I can still wear them comfortably midday outdoors. I also tried their 80% green on another pair of glasses and found it way more comfortable than the 50% green.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jeronimus View Post
    I like how some people look good on the mountain with their fancy gear, and can't even climb or ride worth crap.
    I agree with you absolutely jeronimus; but the thing is - you pay not only for the brand, but also for quality. I wouldn't scrimp on equipment protecting my eyes!
    These cheap department store glasses can be fine if you use them for daily wear or while riding roads, but just imagine all the glass shards lodged in your eyeball after the unfortunate face crash...

I really like my Oakleys (with regular lenses); they also double as fashionable sunglasses for everyday wear.

As for the prescription - I ride without them (about -3 short-sighted); the lenses stress my eyes too much, I prefer to have them relaxed and natural.
    Sometimes bash into things, but is able to see them more often than not Discerning shapes of the obstacles by the shadows and contrast...

mtbr member
    I have some prescription oakleys as well and I just love them...I wear them even when Im not biking...I also have the lenses that change in the sun.
    We Can't Stop Here...This Is Bat Country.
    Out Of Step.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Just on a whim, I ordered a pair of glasses from Zenni Optical and I will say I am rather impressed. I got a pair that are half rimmed and with a slight yellow tint and the cost me under $50 delivered.

I went with the yellow tint and half rim as they can serve as a back up pair to my Oakley Half Jackets. Very good inexpensive pair. Oakley's are not cheap. Looking at the bikeRX site that has been mentioned in this thread you will find that they can hit close to $500. If you are a .mil, fire or law enforcement officer, check out US Standard Issue. The prices offered to the professionals are huge and it cost me less for a set of prescription lenses than it would for a pair of Oakleys at a dealer.

mtbr member
    39dollarglasses.com has served me well. $80 shipped 2day Air, for a simple black plastic frame(the Broadway model btw) with Gray polycarbonate lenses. But you can choose from about 8 or 9 lens colors and other plastics and polarization too.

Broadway Sunglasses by 39DollarGlasses.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    We used Wiley X's Sunglasses, Goggles, Glasses, and Gloves - Tactical Impact Protection from Wiley X when I was in the Marine Corp. I know they can do prescription lenses because some guys in our unit had them.

I couldn't find the model online, I guess they've changed it up since then, but our's had a detachable clip interface right behind the hinge that allowed you to swap from either regular sunglass "legs" to a wrap-around sports band. The band was good and tight, turned them into a ventilated swimming goggle sort of deal.

I never had fogging issues either.

Mal Abogado

Right on! for Rydon

Hey, I have the Rudy Project Rydon and I LOVE them!!! Well worth the $180 I paid after the insurance paid their share.

TIP: I asked the optician to get me the Rudy Project Rydons glasses that were on sale on their web site. They tried to sell me the full price glasses, but I insisted I wanted the Rudy Project sale price. Saved me some serious $$.

They don't fog up. I can see better than ever! and the fit is incredibly comfortable. They never slip, even when I'm sweating and riding some really super technical terrain. Oh, and I love the transitions lenses. They adjust to light conditions very well and let me leave home in the daylight and return in the dark [night riding].

I used the Bolle Paroles with a clip in rx. adapter for years. That worked, but fogged a LOT in the winter. And there was twice as much lens surface to clean. I am so glad I switched.
    LA Law

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am a big fan of the prescription Oakley Hijinx. The persimmon lens is great in the changing light conditions of wooded singletrack. Expensive but worth it if you take care of them.

I got them on framesdirect.com.

Nox Trailbuilder

Progressive lenses

Just got my first pair of progressive bifocals...
    I need a strong prescript, 5.25 with 1.75 for close range..... that means thick lenses unless I go to a high index lens material.... I chose a 1.67 index.
    Finally went to Sears optical for their $199 deal which ended up at $269 with the upcharges.... one of the best deals I could find locally. Here's what I got:
    1.67 index lenses for a thinner lens profile.
    Progressive 'techvu' lenses(how do these compare with other brands?) with AR anti-reflection coating:
    TechVue
    xtra $20 charge to polish lens edges for semi-rimless frames, purely cosmetic.

The bonus was a $149.99 2nd pair of polarized sunglasses with the same lenses....that's a screamin deal! I went with the brown tint.

Progressives.....Straight-ahead vision is fine, peripheral (upper) vision gets a little blurry.
    Looking straight down is good for near objects, down-and-to-the side is also a little blurry and distorted.

Positives: good to regain some near/intermediate vision.
    Negatives: Progressives seem to be lacking for down-view (trail use), and good peripheral vision.... would conventional bi-focals/unlined bifocals give me better field of view?

The transition line is critical. My everyday glasses are okay, but on the sunglasses I got, it's too high. While driving my Jeep, taillights and license plates in front of me are below the transition line... and blurry..... I'm taking those back for replacement.

I'm curious how others feel about progressives for trail use, and are single-vision preferred...

Stand-up philosopher

Re: prescription glasses for biking

Just realized that I never replied to say what I bought. I wound up getting a pair of panlees from glassesusa.com. I used my fsa for them. They have the inner lens frame and 5 different colors if interchangeable outer lenses. My script is so strong that most bike specific glasses wouldn't work. I took these out on their first ride this past weekend. I used the light blue lenses. They were as good or better than my regular glasses. My only issue is that the temples are a little long and hit my helmet. This is fine unless my helmet shifts and moves them.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    --
    stephen

Fat boy Mod Moderator
    what sort of script are you on? i'm pretty bat at -5.0 in both eyes :-/... glad my eyes don't mind contacts

being able to see while riding is a good thing though
    - Surly Disc trucker
    - '82 trek 560 roadie

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    The new Oakley Crosslink Switch is seriously tempting to me.

Stand-up philosopher

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    Look around and start posting some discussions. Be sure to let us know of any errors or issues. It will take some getting used to the new format, so read through the FAQ to get aquainted with all the new features. Let us know if you come across any errors by posting them in this forum. Thanks everyone!

-Chris
    -4.something in both eyes. I have pretty bad astigmatism. Most of the frames I saw were only good up to -3.0

--
    stephen

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    i'm -9.5 in my left eye, -5 in the right, which might be too much for even the panlees frames you posted. currently i wear regular glasses w/ my full face helmet, but for the local bmx track, i'd really like some goggles and/or glasses w/ a bit more protection.

has anyone else tried a pair of sport glasses that work w/ such a high prescription?
    94 Specialized Rockhopper

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [QUOTE=client_9;9041121]From the NY Times:
    "Most optical stores have a huge markup on frames, in the range of 50 percent to 100 percent....
    ...the frames carry fat profit margins, the real money for the retailer is in the lenses. There the markup can be three to seven times the wholesale price."

Source: Do-It-Yourself Eyeglass Shopping on the Internet - New York Times

This just isn't accurate. The wholesale cost on high-quality digital antireflective lenses is higher, and usually much much higher, than the retail price of online lenses. For expensive frames you are paying for the designer and name brand, and for high-end lenses you are paying for the lens material, design and quality of surfacing. Surfacing for digital aspheric lenses can be 12 hours or more, just for that one step....not '1 hour'. Not all anti reflective lenses are the same and many dont deserved to be labeled as such, but certainly are and are priced nice and low.

Don't get me wrong, I save money by buying online all the time...or shopping at Harbor Freight for example. But don't equate low cost ophthalmic lenses available online to high quality name brand lenses available from your friendly neighborhood optometrist.

Oh, and Oakley is made and distributed by an Italian company called Luxottica.

Stand-up philosopher

The risk you run with ordering glasses online is that the pd is off or the frames don't sit right. Lenscrafters uses a computer fitting system now to make sure the lenses are lined up right.

--
    stephen

mtbr member
    I tried on every pair of Oakleys I could. For me, I could not find a pair that fit me comfortably. Bicyclerx.com recommended some frames. I went around town and tried on lots of glasses. My wife thought I was crazy. I ended up getting Tifosi Tempts and am extremely happy with their fit and function. Bicyclerx.com was great with the recommendations and communication.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dresdenlock View Post
    I have some prescription oakleys as well and I just love them...I wear them even when Im not biking...I also have the lenses that change in the sun.
    I got a pair of rx Oakley fast jacket xl last summer and they rock. I ordered rx transition lenses (clear with darkening in sunlight) not super dark but perfect for riding and then I ordered black polarized lenses for when I have my contacts in. The lenses switch super easy and Oakley rx lenses are no joke. Not cheap tho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2011 Scott scale team 29er
    Easton Haven Carbon bars
    Odi lock on rogue grips

DHMTBR.com
    I got mine at America's Best Eyeglasses Eyeglasses | Eyewear |Prescription Glasses & Frames | America's Best - the frames were $100 and the standard lenses were $60 - I opted for the impact resistant + polarized and I was out the door (with tax) for $202.

They are a sweet wrap designed for motorcycling.

prescription glasses for biking-chris-sunglasses-cropped.jpg

Dab-O-Matic
    Oakley Flak Jackets XL in G30 lens. The G30 is perfect in most light situations.

DHMTBR.com
    I have been getting a lot of questions via PM - so I thought I would post some of the answers here.

These glasses are form a company called Liberty Sport (LIBERTY SPORT) and America's Best is my local distributor.

They are called the Biker Polarized

I have been riding quite a bit with them and they are super sweet!
    • I can see very well in very bright light and very low light.
    • The transitions between sun/shade is not noticeable at all
    • The curve in the lens is very clear and provides awesome peripheral
    • They fit well under my helmet (Freeride & Fullface)
    • They are very light weight
    • They don't let in any wind
    • They don't move around
    • They don't collect sweat

prescription glasses for biking-biker-p.jpg

mtbr member
    I have a pair of prescription Oakleys and will say they're great. Anyone that says you're only paying for the name hasn't tried them. I'm not saying they have the BEST optics or that you're not paying a bit for for the name but.........There is a difference with Oakleys. Everything is very crisp and clear through their lenses. Better than my regular everyday glasses. As a bonus, they are light and do not move around or slide down your nose no matter how sweaty you get.

DHMTBR.com
    Yes, sometimes there is a cost associated with a Name Brand - HOWEVER... When I started looking over a year ago - Oakley, Ray Ban, Oneal, Anette, and some of the others were in the range of $500 to $800 for a frame/lens combination!

Mine cost $202 out the door - and that's with the upgraded optics!

This means I can get a few new goodies for the bike and still have beer money left!

I'm just messing with you
    I went shopping and ended up with 3M branded safety glasses, they were $90 out the door at a local optometrist with polycarbonate lenses and amber tint. I actually like the way they look better than the sports glasses they offered, and they have a replaceable brow sweat sponge that's been working great so far.
    Chasing bears through the woods drunk with a dull hatchet is strongly not advised

mtbr member

I second zenni ..cheap enough you can try it out. Worst case scenario you'll have a funky set if glasses for showering and water gun fights.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    So you know, Oakley is own by an Italian company name Luxotica and Smith is own by and Italian company name Safillo. Those brands have been acquired by these Italian companies for at least 6 years now. Just so you know.

unrooted
    Quote Originally Posted by manmythlegend View Post
    I second zenni ..cheap enough you can try it out. Worst case scenario you'll have a funky set if glasses for showering and water gun fights.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2
    I have been buying sunglasses, and glasses, from Zenni for years, they aren't the best glasses in the world, but for $30-50 I can get sunglasses!

These are my most recent purchase, and I really like them-put 80% gray lenses in:prescription glasses for biking-744412_lg.jpg
    195 lbs-6'4" Banshee Prime XL
    Ride Mammoth, Tahoe & Vegas

PLEASE GIVE ME NEGATIVE REP!

banned

prescription glasses for biking

What frame model are those? ^^^

I like them and am due for another order from zenni.

unrooted

unrooted
    prescription glasses for biking-image.jpgprescription glasses for biking-image.jpg

I have narrow head.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I used my birth control glasses from the army for years. Just upgraded to liberty sports Morpheus II's and couldn't be happier. I got them at lens crafters, about $400 with all the options and protection plan. Liberty sports are as rugged as you are going to get, if you're looking for something super durable.
    2013 StumpJumper FSR Comp 29er
    2011 Trek Sawyer 29er
    2000 Bianchi b.u.S.S.
    1999 Trek 930
    1997 Trek 850

turtles make me hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender the offender View Post
    I used my birth control glasses from the army for years. Just upgraded to liberty sports Morpheus II's and couldn't be happier. I got them at lens crafters, about $400 with all the options and protection plan. Liberty sports are as rugged as you are going to get, if you're looking for something super durable.

Haha! Birth Control Glasses. My union's vision plan offers us those. We call em Rapist Glasses. ALMOST no one takes the free ones.
    I like turtles

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 25