Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

prescription glasses for biking

does anyone have any recommendations on prescription frames for mountain biking? I've been just using my crappy spare pair of glasses, but they don't stay on very well on rough trails and don't offer much protection from debris.

I have to wear glasses. I have a contacts prescription, but they irritate my eyes so i rarely ever get contacts. astigmatism sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have been struggling with the same issues, hopefully someone will chime in with a good answer

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i went to my local walmart and got liberty sport prescription sunglasses. has been really holding up well and has never fallen off while riding, it's been 8 months.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    What was the cost of the frames? My biggest problem with sunglasses is that i have really thick lenses because of my astigmatism. Most frames won't work or look right with my lenses.

--
    Stephen

mtbr member
    Not cheap, but this is what I would ge
    Oakley Prescription Lenses | Oakley.com

mtbr member
    I recommend Smith Optics. They're based in Salt Lake and have a great warranty/return policy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I just went to Walmart and saw those Liberty glasses. They look decent for the price, so I'll be getting them soon. Sure Oakley's and other high end brands are fine, but such a rip off since you're pretty much paying for the brand. Im an aggressive rider and dont really care about about anything other than functionality. I like how some people look good on the mountain with their fancy gear, and can't even climb or ride worth crap.

Give it a crank
    Try Zenni Optical prescription goggle frames, they have a huge selection of frames and many lens options.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeronimus View Post
    Sure Oakley's and other high end brands are fine, but such a rip off since you're pretty much paying for the brand.
    That is not, necessarily, always the case. In respect to Smith Optics, you're paying for a lifetime warranty and high quality materials (all lenses are not created equal). Also, they have a replacement policy that allows you to send in an old pair and purchase a new pair for 60% off MSRP. Lastly, Smith (and Oakley) are American owned companies.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I have a pair of oakleys that I bought through their military discount program. Basically 60% off retail. They will do rx lenses. If you know someone in the military or maybe even law enforcement then ask them to buy you a pair. Well worth the money when you just pay wholesale.
    "Your opinion may vary, but it's stupid." -Rich Dillen

mtbr member

Rec Spec Bikers

Don't know the price, my insurance paid for 'em. I have the matte black. They are flexible,
    and fit close to your face. I wear them for road, and MTB. Great for biking and everyday wear.

Rec Specs Biker Sunglasses

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn-Rider View Post
    Try Zenni Optical prescription goggle frames, they have a huge selection of frames and many lens options.
    Ill second zenni. They are pretty decent for a cheap pair (less than 20 bucks). However the other guys are right, we are way better off to get the higher quality glasses that are from US companies. Dollars dont stay at home when we shop Walmart (or zenni for that matter)

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I agree on made in the US. But I'd buy it if it makes sense, price-wise. I'd rather splurge on parts for my bike, or maybe save for another bike. The $60 Walmart glasses work for my 2x a week trail riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got a pair of Serengeti Summits from an independent eye doctor. They've been great - good wrap around, works well with a somewhat heavy astigmatism prescription. Look decent enough and stay in place riding rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    thanks for all of the suggestions.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Actually just went through this when I broke my costco glasses.

Framesdirect.com has one or two oakley frames 'on sale' they will make with rx lenses and ship for under$250 (if you choose a clear lens) , they will make ti ray ban aviators with polycarbonate lenses for around 180 ...

I wound up going with 39dollarglasses.com, ordered two pairs of made in the usa ti framed rx glasses (one with my choice of sunglass lens, lots of customizable different lens options) both lenses were scratch/glare resistant polycarbonate and I just typed in my rx and that was that. Total for two pairs shipped was ~$180! Took about 8 working days to make and ship.

Haven't received em yet so will post pics when I do
    I can post links too when I get on my cpu and off my phone.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Oakley, expensive but worth the cost. Some frames have a max strenght perscription they can hold. I have the flak jackets and at the max end of the rx lense it can hold. My doc said the frames that go around the entire lense dont have those stipulations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I usually get mine here:

Buy Prescription Eyeglasses Online | Mens Womens Fashion | EyeBuyDirect.com

Zenni Optical is also OK I've also ordered from them but eyebuydirect has faster shipping.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    What about sweat? I have ridden with all kinds of eye wear (Tag Huer, Oakley, RayBan, Costco, Walmart) and they all fog out. I want a progressive lense in a frame/configuration that has optimum ventilation.

Anybody have a suggestion for that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Have used Smith and Oakley. Loved both. Both fogged. Never was an insurmountable issue. Last year my prescription got too thick for those brands to accommodate. Got hooked in to some Ray Bans. Just plain garden variety Ray Bans. Like the former wayfarer, but the new version. They are made of this great non-slip material. They don't fog and they don't slowly slide down my nose, even with my heavy lenses. They are awesome more than words can express. I will be using them from now on. Knock on wood.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    First off, you want SPORT frames. I wear mine biking, skiing and driving, My Costa del mar shades never fall off.
    As far as sweat goes, I live in Tucson and it's not a problem here, with the shades. Now the rest of your body here in summer...
    agmtb

con
    mtbr member
    I have these, made by Liberty, called the biker. The have a non-slip rubber coating on the bridge/nose piece and at the rear on the temple tips. They stay on very well and I use them when on my bicycles and my motorcycles.

mtbr member
    Nike 7060 (actually brought my full face helmet into the optical to try this frame on) with polycarbonate Drivewear lenses with backside anti-reflection coating. I haven't actually been on a trail with them yet but so far, I'm VERY impressed with the lenses. I've had 6 different Oakleys (9 lens colors), two Nikes (3 lens colors), regular brown Transition lenses, polarized yellow (shooting/hunting) lenses, clear anti-reflection lenses, clear non-AR lenses and brown polarized sunglasses; I don't think any of these will be even close to the visual quality of the Drivewear.

One question mark (which won't get clarified until I can actually ride with them) is how they're going to handle woodsy/shadowy areas while still having sunlight coming through the leaves/branches/etc (i.e. are they going to be too dark for those situations).

P.S. I added the links
    Proponent for an Evidence Driven Life.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Rudy Project products have been working great for me. Worth a look for sure.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I second Oakleys. I have a set of their frames for clear lenses and wear them riding. They stay in place better than normal glasses because instead of sitting on top of your ear they hug the side of your head. I've never had an issue with them moving, even during falls.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast