mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Prescription ANSI rated glasses suggestions

Hi all,

I really like my glasses and detest contacts. I usually wear my normal glasses out on the trail but recently I've been wanting something that covers my eyes better and keeps dust out. It needs to be ANSI rated so I can use it when working with metal and shooting.

What do you guys with prescriptions like to use?

Magically Delicious
    I have several pairs of prescription Oakley's. You can get the clear lens in prescription too. Almost all models of Oakley sunglasses meet or exceed the ANSI Z87.1 standard for optical clarity and impact resistance.

I don't think they do every model in prescription though, but a bunch of them.

Bring your wallet. A fat wallet.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I bought some prescription glasses (Julbo Stunt) on Sport RX. Love the glasses and the process is very easy with Sport RX. The hardest part was getting the eye doctor to cough over my prescription.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    If you just need a reading script, there are plenty of options for bifocal safety glasses. Uvex come to mind. They have a small reading portion in the bottom of the lense, so you can read phone etc. For long sight you're on your own. Come in multiple colours and styles and are cheap.
    Generally full progressive lenses will cost

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    What Cleared2land said. I've got a set of prescription Oakley Flak Jackets, and as the lenses are prescription they're even thicker and stronger than the non-prescription lenses. They regularly get a whipping from tree branches, and I'm always having to wipe mud off the lenses, but despite this there's ne'er a scratch on 'em. Tints are available that are optimised for various sports (I have the MTB trail tint, unsurprisingly), and though the tint does fade a bit after a few years by the time this has happened it's time for an updated prescription anyway.
    M¦dgemagnet

Give'er!
    I use the same prescription safeties I do at work (though on the bike I take the sideshields off).

...They're not completely dorky lol.

Prescription ANSI rated glasses suggestions-safety.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I use Oakleys, although i may start shifting to Smith for some of my stuff

mtbr member
    Wiley X P17 from FramesDirect. When you order it with prescription lenses, you have a huge choice of lens colors and features. I found them to be more cost-effective than the Oakleys.

https://www.framesdirect.com/Wiley-X...k-lfmjtco.html

Magically Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Honda Guy View Post
    Hi all,

I really like my glasses and detest contacts. I usually wear my normal glasses out on the trail but recently I've been wanting something that covers my eyes better and keeps dust out. It needs to be ANSI rated so I can use it when working with metal and shooting.

What do you guys with prescriptions like to use?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuyuna View Post
    Wiley X P17 from FramesDirect. When you order it with prescription lenses, you have a huge choice of lens colors and features. I found them to be more cost-effective than the Oakleys.

https://www.framesdirect.com/Wiley-X...k-lfmjtco.html

I didn't see anything on these as being ANSI rated.
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleared2land View Post
    I didn't see anything on these as being ANSI rated.
    All the Wiley X lenses, including prescription lenses, are ANSI Z87.1 rated. Their Black Ops line is Mil-Spec impact-rated.

mtbr member
    I wear a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 with a persimmon lens tint. Anyone interested in Oakleys should check out ther SI program. SI meaning standard issue. You have to meet certain criteria to take advantage of the savings. IE former military and current, law enforcement, and I think government employees as well. I've been in the program for a number of years now, they may have eased up on the requirements. The Flaks I bought are perscriptions. I wear bifocals, downside is Oakley only does single scripts. For bike riding and driving the distant script works great. If my script changes down the road I just need to buy lens replacements. I paid $240 for the glasses. Check them out.
    Last edited by MikeBurnsie; 1 Week Ago at 09:12 AM.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBurnsie View Post
    I wear a pair of Oakley Flak 2.0 with a persimmon lens tint. Anyone interested in Oakleys should check out ther SI program. SI meaning standard issue. You have to meet certain criteria to take advantage of the savings. IE former military, law enforcement, and I think government employees as well. I've been in the program for a number of years now, they may have eased up on the requirments. The Flaks I bought are perscriptions. I wear bifocals, downside is Oakley only does single scripts. For bike riding and driving the distant script works great. I paid $240 for the glasses. Check them out.
    I noticed that and it's the reason I ditched my half-jackets for the Wiley X's...Wiley does progressive bifocals.

As to their SI program, Oakley will OK that for EMT's and other First Responders as of a couple of years ago, which is how I got my first pair.

mtbr member
    I did find a vendor who sells oakley lenses and can do bifocal scripts. I'm probably gonna go that route if and when I buy replacement/additional lenses.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    I did find a vendor who sells oakley lenses and can do bifocal scripts. I'm probably gonna go that route if and when I buy replacement/additional lenses.
    After doing some research, I found several places that do lenses only. Progressive scripts are on average $325. Ouch. My single script works great for biking and driving, I carry my regular glasses in my backpack all the time.
    2016 Transition Patrol
    2011 Stump Jumper
    2005 Iron Horse Warrior

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Oakleys got their digital progressive so they can do it. My casual everydays are Oakleys also in progressive, but lens was through whoever the shop deals with, they are not Oakley lenses. My previous prescriptions were ancient but were from Oakley. I believe actually made by Oakley.
    There is a limit to the strength oakley can do, but recently they were able to bump it up a little. Its kinda a bummer with Luxotica buying Oakley a bunch of Oakley is now overseas.